U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 11:55 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,926,281 times

Advertisements

I don't have a problem with it being the attic. Most of the custome homes I see have them in the attic. First, who wants to give up the living space for an ugly water heater (or a good closet)? Second, the chances of major problems are not great.

Think of this way. Once every 15 years you may have a problem. Insurance will cover most of the costs, but it will still be a pain. The other 5,000 days you will have a nice size bedroom, study, etc. Seems like an easy choice to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 02:09 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,081,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Leave in attic. Just make sure when you change your AC Filters every 30-90 days you look at the HWH's to make sure they look good and not leaking.

Rule of thumb....... If you ever see water dripping outside the eves of the roof, you have a problem.
Learn what your secondary drain lines look like and why they exist.

After about 12 years, change them out. Don't wait for them to break.
Agree.

Most new homes have water drains for the pans under the water heaters. In the event of a leak, the water goes outside.

Put them in the attic.

And get to know someone from a builder supply place. Every now and then they have rejects that you can pick up for $100.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:52 PM

16 posts, read 23,062 times
Thank you everyone for the feedback.

This morning I had a 1-to-1 with the builder and he told me two things:

1) He is saying the two 50-gal HTH are planned to be located in the attic above the jack-n-jill bathroom on the 2nd storey. Initially, i was under the impression, it will be on the garage.

2) He confirmed me that he only needs to create a 5' by 3' shelf in the garage by borrowing this space from the originally planned 12' by 11' study-turned-bedroom. If he does that then we will be left with a nook of 7' by 3' that can either be utilized for cieling to floor book shelf or for a 2nd closet that can have a sliding door with mirror exterior. So, after the HTH shelf (15sq.ft.) and this 2nd closet (21 sq.ft.,) I will be left with 12' by 8'= 96 sq.ft.

They are not allowing tankless at the moment. He cannot convert the 20' by 20' 2-car garage into a 2.5 car because he is saying this lot being 50' by 110' only allows just enough slab for this house. City limits slab to 45% of the lot size at the most. That is why, he cannot even extend the garage forward on thr driveway to borrow this 3' from the driveway.

Does having a 12' by 8' room with a window and two closets still keep it good enough for a full bed, night stand, and an accent chair? The cieling height is 10' if that makes any difference.

I also called Home Depot today and they said, they charge $800 for a Rheam 50-gal water heater and all labor, materials, hauling old away if its on the first floor but charge $950 for the same if they have to install it in the attic. $150 difference isnt huge for every 8 years. We might switch to tankless after these first 8 years provided tankless systems improve in quality, stability, and service support standspoint.

I also called two insurance companies to find out if they ever even ask this in quoting premium and they didnt. I think, if a system has a higher tendency of failing then insurance companies will be the first to raise concerns and increase premiums for HTH in attic houses. But that doesn't seem to be the case. So, now i am leaning to pro-actively taking care of the two units and just replace them after two years even if they are all good. So, I feel I should be good even if I keep them in attic, and get to enjoy the decent-sized bedroom.

But a great discussion. Respect you all for all your time and advices. Beautiful world and lovely, supporting people.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:52 PM

35,349 posts, read 38,782,700 times
Very few (almost none) bedrooms are only 8ft wide. That seriously hurts how you use the bedroom and resale.

I would not do it.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:17 PM

153 posts, read 182,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
BS.

Where "BS" mean BEST SUGGESTION.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:44 AM

4,153 posts, read 8,187,289 times
I would mount a tankless water heater on the back side of the garage. You wouldn't loose any room this way and they would be out of your attic. Our current tankless is mounted this way and it works great.

As for tank heaters, I heard someone, maybe the OP mention they'll worry about switching in 15 yrs. The water heaters on our last home went out roughly 5 years after construction...followed by an AC unit which is another story. So I wouldn't count on 15 yrs out of a water heater and tank units are a pita to replace....especially from the attic. Tankless just makes life easier, you install one and forget about it. We have to many things going on to be crawling around our attic eyeballing water heaters.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:37 AM

9,273 posts, read 9,906,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSiczpak View Post
Where "BS" mean BEST SUGGESTION.
Except for the fact that your entire post was either false or overblown.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:16 AM

17 posts, read 23,852 times
My house has water heaters in garage but I get my a/c, heaters and water heaters inspected biannually and change them every 10 years. It's just good preventive care, regardless of physical location of water heaters.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:22 AM

9,273 posts, read 9,906,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring88 View Post
My house has water heaters in garage but I get my a/c, heaters and water heaters inspected biannually and change them every 10 years. It's just good preventive care, regardless of physical location of water heaters.
I change water heaters every 10/11 yrs as well. We tend to run AC until it's about dead.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:41 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,926,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring88 View Post
Why would you change them every 10 years unless they are having issues (or, if you have done some economical study that you will save money on more efficient units)? I would never change an AC unit until it is dead or almost dead, especially since they can last 20 years or more.

Now, I can see a situation where one of the units die and you change the unit next to it because it is cheaper to do them both at the same time, but I could never justify just replacing a unit that is running fine just because I am scared that it might go out during the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or