Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 10:49 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,083,112 times

Advertisements

7 Photos Show How Detroit Hollowed Out During the Highway Age | Streetsblog USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 11:37 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,247,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
The reason the cars are there is because the highway is there, and the surface streets are underused and faster:
If you think the surface streets are fast now, wait until you destroy the main highway forcing 100k cars to find alternate routes. You ever see what happens to the service roads or side roads when they completely close off one section of Central or the Toll? Good luck with that. And all for what, so some Real Estate businesses guys can make some extra cash?

Old 06-26-2014, 01:40 PM

990 posts, read 2,297,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Do you believe TXDOT didn't take these things into consideration? The roads running under I345 would have to be tied into the new boulevard running north and south - that does not just happen on it's own.
Yes, because they are already building their boulevard, which is Caesar Chavez. They have moved entire historic buildings to make this happen. They have already run ramps directly from Central Expressway to Caesar Chavez and Good Lattimer in both directions. Good Lattimer was completed for the Green Line, but Casear Chavez is under major expansion to match the wide landscaped status it has through the Farmers Market area. That's why they've moved a block of historic buildings and are chopping up lots. This is your main boulevard. Without the freeway, there would be a ton of developable land on both sides of it. With the freeway, there are a ton of empty lots still around it.

As far as being a viable pass through, it has six, sometimes 8 lanes. It also has direct ramps to I-30 in both directions. Every concept I've seen of a renoed I-30 keeps those direct connections. One can also take Caesar Chavez to I-45. If TxDOT were to commit to making this their boulevard, all they would have to do is continue what they've done downtown and add one simple set of on and off ramps to directly connect Caesar Chavez to I-45. There is no way that would cost them $1 billion to widen a street and add an on and off ramp..

Old 06-26-2014, 04:32 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,292,000 times
I propose the legal Driving age should be 21. (just like alcohol)
Kids behind the wheel are dangerous.
Besides, it would be good for transit.

They can ride bicycles, and the light rail and use the Bus.[/quote]

Just so I am clear, we will let kids go to Iraq and defend our country, but you don't want them to be able to drive when they get back home on leave? Hey, welcome home from Iraq. We are going to drop you off at Fort Hood, but you have to take a bus home...

Old 06-26-2014, 05:04 PM

19,615 posts, read 17,907,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
You have a lot of faith in TXDOT.
Well, for certain TXDOT has a better track record than Patrick Kennedy.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:05 PM

That's the world's all time best non-sequitur.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
Yes, because they are already building their boulevard, which is Caesar Chavez. They have moved entire historic buildings to make this happen. They have already run ramps directly from Central Expressway to Caesar Chavez and Good Lattimer in both directions. Good Lattimer was completed for the Green Line, but Casear Chavez is under major expansion to match the wide landscaped status it has through the Farmers Market area. That's why they've moved a block of historic buildings and are chopping up lots. This is your main boulevard. Without the freeway, there would be a ton of developable land on both sides of it. With the freeway, there are a ton of empty lots still around it.

As far as being a viable pass through, it has six, sometimes 8 lanes. It also has direct ramps to I-30 in both directions. Every concept I've seen of a renoed I-30 keeps those direct connections. One can also take Caesar Chavez to I-45. If TxDOT were to commit to making this their boulevard, all they would have to do is continue what they've done downtown and add one simple set of on and off ramps to directly connect Caesar Chavez to I-45. There is no way that would cost them $1 billion to widen a street and add an on and off ramp..

OMG, you cannot possibly be serious?

Old 06-26-2014, 08:04 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,417,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex View Post
I'm all for greater street-level connectivity, but have you seen how many vehicles use that connector (I-345)? I can't even imagine the roadway mayhem that would result from its absence. Besides, don't the surface streets and sidewalks still run below it? Is the city not already physically connected?
I think that the time it would take to do this would definitely get people used to the freeway not being there. Whenever the "NEW" boulevard opens, people would be used to their alternate routes that theyve been taking for two years during construction.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:28 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,083,112 times
Completion of Haskell Boulevard from City Place to Fair Park (with McKinney Avenue Trolley extension down the middle) is another possible traffic reliever route.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Completion of Haskell Boulevard from City Place to Fair Park (with McKinney Avenue Trolley extension down the middle) is another possible traffic reliever route.
I mean please. This is as out there as your blind cheerleading for WWHS. Possible is a big word when other people's livelihoods are on the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas