Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 03:13 PM

12 posts, read 13,990 times

Advertisements

I am transferring soon and am seeking a BBA. I cant seem to pick between Sam Houston State University or West Texas A & M. Do anyone know which program has the better business program? Which school will open the doorfor more opps on my resume:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 06:24 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekiwa07 View Post
I am transferring soon and am seeking a BBA. I cant seem to pick between Sam Houston State University or West Texas A & M. Do anyone know which program has the better business program? Which school will open the doorfor more opps on my resume:-)
Push.

Need more info.
1. How many hours do you have?
2. Do you want to attend grad/MBA school?

Old 06-12-2014, 07:39 PM

I have approx. 40-47 transferable hours towards a business degree. I just changed my major from nursing. I do want to attend grad school for MBA immediately after graduation but I was told I have to work 3 years between BBA and grad school in order to be accepted? I really don't want to wait. I would prefer to immediately continue on to grad school.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I have approx. 40-47 transferable hours towards a business degree. I just changed my major from nursing. I do want to attend grad school for MBA immediately after graduation but I was told I have to work 3 years between BBA and grad school in order to be accepted? I really don't want to wait. I would prefer to immediately continue on to grad school.

1. Most MBA programs have no hard and fast rule about working between undergrad and graduate business school, that said a couple or three years work experience does seem to help.
2. You should choose whichever school fits your personality best.
4. If you want to get into a decent MBA program you'll need to hammer the rest of your hours. Aim for a 3.8 or better from here on out.
5. Is there any way to parlay your nursing hours into some sort of interesting minor to augment your BBA?

Best of luck.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:54 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Have you looked into Healthcare Administration? The nursing hours might be applicable there.

I will say that as an employer, we prefer to see someone with some work experience in business, rather than two straight degrees. You fight the "book knowledge but no real world experience" by going all the way through like that...

Old 06-13-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Have you looked into Healthcare Administration? The nursing hours might be appli will say that as an employer, we prefer to see someone with some work experience in business, rather than two straight degrees. You fight the "book knowledge but no real world experience" by going all the way through like that...

Thank you so much. I did consider healthcare but my passion is more with
he BBA. I will talk to my advisor about potential minors. Most of those courses were science courses. I do have approx. 10 years of work experience. I am a nontraditional student 33 yrs old and a wife with 4 children. I started working my first job in the summer of 94 at 14 yrs old. I went to UTA as a freshman from 98-00 and just started back this spring. There was a long gap I took to stop and focus on raising my little ones. I've also worked at the on campus work studg, IRS, a legal clerk, and in 2010 I began a virtual assistant online business that I did remotely from home.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
1. Most MBA programs have no hard and fast rule about working between undergrad and graduate business school, that said a couple or three years work experience does seem to help.
2. You should choose whichever school fits your personality best.
4. If you want to get into a decent MBA program you'll need to hammer the rest of your hours. Aim for a 3.8 or better from here on out.
5. Is there any way to parlay your nursing hours into some sort of interesting minor to augment your BBA?

Best of luck.
I will talk to my advisor about potential minors.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
I will talk to my advisor about potential minors.
As you've already worked for a number of years I'd 100% avoid any gap between BBA and MBA if possible.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:59 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
As you've already worked for a number of years I'd 100% avoid any gap between BBA and MBA if possible.
I agree. Now that we know you are a nontraditional student, and not a 22 year old, that makes a big difference!

Old 06-13-2014, 08:27 AM

Thank you both so much. Now I have to make sure my gpa is good and decide which school is for me. They boty have their pro's and con's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: