U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2014, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,536 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a son who will be going to 9th grade this Fall and I am looking for good math courses for him in Algebra II and Geometry II. He is an advanced student and we would like for him to keep up with his momentum by joining after school/weekend programs.

Would appreciate information about Math and SAT programs or even information on good private tutors in that area will be of immense help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 09:31 PM

9,258 posts, read 9,892,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synclair View Post
Hi,

I have a son who will be going to 9th grade this Fall and I am looking for good math courses for him in Algebra II and Geometry II. He is an advanced student and we would like for him to keep up with his momentum by joining after school/weekend programs.

Would appreciate information about Math and SAT programs or even information on good private tutors in that area will be of immense help.
I'd call UTD or CCCCD or whatever it's called now Collin College maybe? and ask someone in the math department to recommend and teacher, prof. or student who would be a strong tutor. You might find someone close.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:22 AM

17 posts, read 23,844 times
Karen Dillard is a popular destination for SAT/ACT.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:20 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,079,576 times
You could always get some schaum's and work through 5 problems a night with him. I'd also recommend finding some older textbooks (pre 1960) and work through those.

In general:

1. You want to work on mastery of the ideas chapter by chapter. Take detailed notes, then do 1/3 of the problems, ie problem 1,4,7,..etc.
2. Work on complete understanding of the details. Go back to the prior chapter and do all the problems.
3. Work on speed. Do all the problems as fast as you can. Repeat.

If you do this, I guarantee not only an A, but you should be able to walk into a 3 hour final, be done in an hour, and have a 100% on it.

4. For extra credit, find the AMC 8.10, and 12 tests and work those problems.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:17 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,119,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
You could always get some schaum's and work through 5 problems a night with him. I'd also recommend finding some older textbooks (pre 1960) and work through those.
Get with the program - Schaum's is so analog! Plus, they barely carry those in bookstores anymore. I never thought they were all that, anyway. Good for practice problems, but not enough explanation for someone coming to the subject cold. Might be a good combo if the Schaum's problems are combined with Khan Academy viewing.

Best bet? Go online and use the books and programs of Art of Problem Solving. Algebra, Geometry, Probability - they have it all, at a level and with an approach designed for really high-achieving HS kids.

Get your kid attending the Metroplex Math Circle at UTD when fall rolls around.

Like TX75007 says, start prepping for the AMC 10 now if you expect your kid to be competitive as a 9th grader.

Karen Dillard is state-of-the-art for SAT prep, and summer before 9th grade is not too early, especially if you have aspirations of having your kid snag a National Merit Scholarship free ride at a place like OU or UTD. Classes are running now, but it's still possible to start in July.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:22 PM

9,258 posts, read 9,892,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synclair View Post
Hi,

After reading the responses and your questions again.

1. Do you want mathematics tutoring?

or-

2. Do you want help getting your kiddo close to an 800 on that math portion of that regular SAT and maybe solid SAT math subject test scores?

These are not the same things.

A tutor might take you son on a tour of vectors, volumes of spheres, rotating masses, pneumatics, optics, combinatorics etc. The SAT tests for none of that.

So far as the big tests go....
The regular SAT math/analytics section contains basically zero calculus and very little power algebra.
The ACT math section has a dash of both - elements of calculus and some bits of power algebra.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:29 PM

954 posts, read 1,532,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
After reading the responses and your questions again.

1. Do you want mathematics tutoring?

or-

2. Do you want help getting your kiddo close to an 800 on that math portion of that regular SAT and maybe solid SAT math subject test scores?

These are not the same things.

A tutor might take you son on a tour of vectors, volumes of spheres, rotating masses, pneumatics, optics, combinatorics etc. The SAT tests for none of that.

So far as the big tests go....
The regular SAT math/analytics section contains basically zero calculus and very little power algebra.
The ACT math section has a dash of both - elements of calculus and some bits of power algebra.
Agreed. But generally a kiddo who is good in math can be awesome in SAT if provided basic testing training but not vice-versa!

Old 07-21-2014, 09:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,536 times
Thanks for all the input. Took me a while to acknowledge all your responses as I was busy unpacking.

Looking for math coaching for my 9th grader. Private tutor seems to be a little expensive out here and I believe if there is a small group then learning is more fun and there is healthy competition too.

And last but not the least thanks for mentioning the programs at UTD, my son is enjoying his summer courses so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or