U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 01:08 PM

993 posts, read 2,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
We all saw how the Super Bowl went a few years ago...
The difference being, that was spread out to hell, and any Dallas Olympic bid was probably going to be very compact. The last time Houston and Dallas bid, both were given higher technical scores than the US finalists. I'm guessing the same happened here. Explain how technical a bid in a place like Boston or San Francisco can be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 01:10 PM

also to those who say Dallas has other problems, please find the city that doesn't have major problems. When people get together problems arise.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:36 AM

9,431 posts, read 11,364,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
We all saw how the Super Bowl went a few years ago...

Well, I will say as someone who doesn't see the Olympics here, that was a freak incidence. We do get that weather from time to time, but that coincidence was crazy!

Old 06-16-2014, 09:25 AM

16,092 posts, read 37,222,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I agree. I've lived in several countries. One of them, Poland, was behind the Iron Curtain for decades under tight censorship. Everyone I ever met there had heard of Dallas. The second I said I was from Dallas, they instantly mentioned the TV show or the Dallas Cowboys (or the cheerleaders). I've never met anyone overseas who has NOT heard of Dallas.
Yes, they know Dallas but they have no idea what "North Texas" is!!! Personally I think it's poor marketing to use that moniker.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:32 AM

16,092 posts, read 37,222,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Would the Olympics be a "good deal" for Dallas? I mean, I get the prestige issue and all, and they do bring in many outside visitors during the event (who one assumes will be spending money here one way or another), but does it really work out to a good IRR on the money Dallas would need to spend to be an Olympic venue? Looking at past events it seems as if much of the infrastructure completed for the Olympics has been wasted on "white elephants" and the event has had a minimal impact on improving the visibility of the cities in terms of attracting more business or tourism or whatever.

I could be wrong on this and would love some data, but it's not like Dallas is an unknown (who'd ever heard of Sochi before their olympics?). Again, I get the prestige/"bragging rights" aspect, but beyond that, does it make much sense?
We have the perfect venue in Fair Park. It is unique in the world and largest collection of Art Deco exhibition buildings extant. Having the Olympics would transform the surrounding area with the Olympic Village. I'm sure there would be some controversy about that but as of now the area south and east of Fair Park is undergoing some serious de-population. Imagine the village connecting Fair Park with Samuell Grand Park and a revamped I-30 for instance... I think it would also get our Trinity River project into gear. The area between, The Cedars, would benefit as would parts of East Dallas connecting to Fair Park (say along Haskell, Gaston/Live Oak and Columbia. Deep Ellum/Expo Park, with a few hip high-rise hotels, DART and the Santa Fe Trail, could take off like the Meatpacking District in Manhattan. So I think we would have some lasting assets from hosting the games.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:12 PM

725 posts, read 1,063,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I agree. I've lived in several countries. One of them, Poland, was behind the Iron Curtain for decades under tight censorship. Everyone I ever met there had heard of Dallas. The second I said I was from Dallas, they instantly mentioned the TV show or the Dallas Cowboys (or the cheerleaders). I've never met anyone overseas who has NOT heard of Dallas.
I have, mostly in Asia though. Never in Europe.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:25 PM

236 posts, read 292,204 times
Dallas = construction city.

We have enough construction going on in pretty much every corner of the city. We don't need more construction that may come with Olympics or world cup.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:34 PM

4,179 posts, read 4,346,464 times
I think the Olympics sucks, and most of the events are terrible. Winter is even worse. We dodged a bullet. If we had won it, it might force a lot of construction to get us up to par and a lot of it would be helpful, but we are doing a fine job as is on our own schedule without the graft and waste and debt.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:44 PM

The ignorance and lack of confidence of our own city is mind-blowing

Old 06-16-2014, 05:45 PM

3,101 posts, read 4,532,374 times
I think Fair Park would have been an amazing Olympics location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas