Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 10:39 AM

554 posts, read 1,196,888 times

Advertisements

First and foremost, ENOUGH ABOUT THE HEAT! The Summer Olympics have been held from early spring to late fall…enough, people.

Second, a rant:
Good god the civic pride in this city sucks!! I have read a number of comments on other sites and…geeezzz….and it is all from lifelong LOCALS. Why is it that anything cool or progressive Dallas does is characterized by Dallasites as "trying to be something it isn't"? What the hell? Should the city just cease all operation and attempts at improvement? I have never lived in a place where every little project and development sparks harsh criticism and disdain. I am from California and I have lived in several places in California and, take it from an outsider, I think Dallas is a great place!! In Fresno, the Fresnans could run circles around Dallasites in the civic pride department. They are SO unbelievably proud of their town and fancy themselves as L.A.'s OBVIOUS replacement should the "big one" cause L.A. to fall into the ocean. One day after 9/11 the local yokels just KNEW that Fresno was "NEXT". Yet, the town is the butt of every joke within the state…but Fresnans are oblivious to it…they keep their pride in their city at the maximum level, no matter what. If only Dallasites had 1/10 of that passion for their own city……..

As for those who say there is nothing special about Dallas…there are many Londoners and New Yorkers who are just as apathetic about where they "have lived their whole lives" as well. That is precisely the problem with life long born and raised residents in ANY city. You are so used to Dallas that it is nothing special…but don't make the mistake of assuming the rest of the world agrees with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 10:42 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Fred Norris View Post
Merely hoping the games will push us to fix our problems is unrealistic - that's what places like Athens and Montreal hoped and it's been a nightmare for them since.
I agree.

Personally I think the IOC could consider choosing a dozen or so past sites and having the Olympics rotate between these sites with all participating countries contributing to the cost of maintaining/refurbishing the sites. Of course, a site's participation would be purely voluntary. And I say "past sites" because many of them still have at least some of the venues.

This won't ever happen because the IOC is hopelessly corrupt.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:46 AM

634 posts, read 897,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Why Atlanta? Simple.

I'd like to buy the world a Coke.

With an assist from ... This is CNN.
I was a construction worker for the Atlanta games and just UGH, that olympic cauldron resembling mcdonalds french fries still ticks me off.

Oh and I think Dallas would do a fantastic job hosting.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:47 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Oh, thank god.
Can you imagine the crowds?
No, thanks.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:40 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
If that is the reason given, it's a very incorrect one. I've traveled several places around the world for work, to visit extended family, etc. "Dallas" is not just a city. It's a way of life that foreigners think we have here, where there are oil wells, horses, cowboys, etc... as far as the eye can see.

That perception is wrong of course, but EVERYONE has the same view of Dallas, whether you go to the UK, Brazil, even Hong Kong.

So as far as a brand name goes, we definitely have one, even though it's more based off a fictional tv series than the reality.

I just had my wife's family come visit for several months from Brazil. Her mother, father, sister, and cousins came to stay with us, and even though they already "knew" what Dallas is really like from what we've told them, that perception is there that we all live like an episode of "Dallas." Even other parts of the US think this, I have family in Iowa that used to think the same things.

No, we're not lacking a brand name at all.
I agree. But apparently, the USOC doesn't think we're on the same level as San Francisco, Boston, NYC and Chicago. I'm not sure what cities are involved for the international part of the competition.

Considering Sochi, Salt Lake City and Atlanta, it is kind of a head scratcher.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
First and foremost, ENOUGH ABOUT THE HEAT! The Summer Olympics have been held from early spring to late fall…enough, people.

Second, a rant:
Good god the civic pride in this city sucks!! I have read a number of comments on other sites and…geeezzz….and it is all from lifelong LOCALS. Why is it that anything cool or progressive Dallas does is characterized by Dallasites as "trying to be something it isn't"? What the hell? Should the city just cease all operation and attempts at improvement? I have never lived in a place where every little project and development sparks harsh criticism and disdain. I am from California and I have lived in several places in California and, take it from an outsider, I think Dallas is a great place!! In Fresno, the Fresnans could run circles around Dallasites in the civic pride department. They are SO unbelievably proud of their town and fancy themselves as L.A.'s OBVIOUS replacement should the "big one" cause L.A. to fall into the ocean. One day after 9/11 the local yokels just KNEW that Fresno was "NEXT". Yet, the town is the butt of every joke within the state…but Fresnans are oblivious to it…they keep their pride in their city at the maximum level, no matter what. If only Dallasites had 1/10 of that passion for their own city……..

As for those who say there is nothing special about Dallas…there are many Londoners and New Yorkers who are just as apathetic about where they "have lived their whole lives" as well. That is precisely the problem with life long born and raised residents in ANY city. You are so used to Dallas that it is nothing special…but don't make the mistake of assuming the rest of the world agrees with you.

Texans are generally proud of who they are and where they are from. I do sense that sometimes, we native Dallasites temper our enthusiasm regarding the city.

I remember kids in high school that desperately wanted to attend LSU, Oklahoma, Texas A & M etc., to avoid going to SMU, UT Dallas or any other local school. They always reasoned that Dallas/DFW was "boring." I never understood how going to a small one-horse town offered more excitement than a major metropolitan area. All of the clubbing in Baton Rouge, Norman and College Station combined is probably a fraction of what Dallas offers...with FAR LESS variety.

On a side-note, I think some of the negative feelings are from suburbanites and transplant suburbanites that have never really lived in Dallas proper. I'm amazed by how many people I've met that have never lived inside I-635.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:14 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
That's true. I see Dallas and Atlanta as very similar.
The fact that those two are similar is the reason why Dallas will NOT see the olympics. The common theme around the international and even domestic communities is that they don't want another Atlanta when it comes to the olympics.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:14 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,325 times
Would the Olympics be a "good deal" for Dallas? I mean, I get the prestige issue and all, and they do bring in many outside visitors during the event (who one assumes will be spending money here one way or another), but does it really work out to a good IRR on the money Dallas would need to spend to be an Olympic venue? Looking at past events it seems as if much of the infrastructure completed for the Olympics has been wasted on "white elephants" and the event has had a minimal impact on improving the visibility of the cities in terms of attracting more business or tourism or whatever.

I could be wrong on this and would love some data, but it's not like Dallas is an unknown (who'd ever heard of Sochi before their olympics?). Again, I get the prestige/"bragging rights" aspect, but beyond that, does it make much sense?

Old 06-14-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Would the Olympics be a "good deal" for Dallas? I mean, I get the prestige issue and all, and they do bring in many outside visitors during the event (who one assumes will be spending money here one way or another), but does it really work out to a good IRR on the money Dallas would need to spend to be an Olympic venue? Looking at past events it seems as if much of the infrastructure completed for the Olympics has been wasted on "white elephants" and the event has had a minimal impact on improving the visibility of the cities in terms of attracting more business or tourism or whatever.

I could be wrong on this and would love some data, but it's not like Dallas is an unknown (who'd ever heard of Sochi before their olympics?). Again, I get the prestige/"bragging rights" aspect, but beyond that, does it make much sense?

No, it doesn't make sense.

The only way an Olympics "works" is if a given city has most of the infrastructure already in place. If you're building a slew of white elephants that won't ever be used for anything else, it's pointless.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:28 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,225,208 times
We all saw how the Super Bowl went a few years ago...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas