U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2014, 11:42 PM
 
Location: West of Louisiana, East of New Mexico
2,606 posts, read 2,171,275 times
Reputation: 6037

Advertisements

I'd much prefer us to host World Cup matches instead of an entire Olympiad. However, the reasons given for the failure relate to our lack of a "brand name" on the world stage, and not from a paucity of resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2014, 01:34 AM
 
9,431 posts, read 11,364,249 times
Reputation: 10247
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
I'd much prefer us to host World Cup matches instead of an entire Olympiad. However, the reasons given for the failure relate to our lack of a "brand name" on the world stage, and not from a paucity of resources.
I thought it was an odd idea from the beginning. I love Dallas, with all it's flaws. I was born and raised here. But it's far too hot in the summer and there is nothing about this city that calls to the rest of the world, hey! Come to Dallas! We're a business city. Nothing wrong with that. We should embrace it and not try to be something we aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2014, 01:35 AM
 
Location: North Texas
24,577 posts, read 34,238,838 times
Reputation: 28402
How do they explain Atlanta then?

Plus we were a host city for the World Cup 20 years ago.

I don't buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2014, 01:38 AM
 
9,431 posts, read 11,364,249 times
Reputation: 10247
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
How do they explain Atlanta then?

Plus we were a host city for the World Cup 20 years ago.

I don't buy it.
That's true. I see Dallas and Atlanta as very similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2014, 02:03 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
2,346 posts, read 6,120,497 times
Reputation: 2305
Why Atlanta? Simple.

I'd like to buy the world a Coke.

With an assist from ... This is CNN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2014, 03:44 AM
 
993 posts, read 2,009,048 times
Reputation: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I thought it was an odd idea from the beginning. I love Dallas, with all it's flaws. I was born and raised here. But it's far too hot in the summer and there is nothing about this city that calls to the rest of the world, hey! Come to Dallas! We're a business city. Nothing wrong with that. We should embrace it and not try to be something we aren't.
You realize recent Olympics have run from June to October? Sydney was very late. Never understood the negativity towards Dallas hosting. Dallas has all of the right ingredients to host outside of name cache and experience. I'd really be curious to see the actual bids presented. That may tell more of the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2014, 06:50 AM
 
Location: Prosper
6,257 posts, read 13,487,808 times
Reputation: 9421
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
The reasons given for the failure relate to our lack of a "brand name" on the world stage, and not from a paucity of resources.
If that is the reason given, it's a very incorrect one. I've traveled several places around the world for work, to visit extended family, etc. "Dallas" is not just a city. It's a way of life that foreigners think we have here, where there are oil wells, horses, cowboys, etc... as far as the eye can see.

That perception is wrong of course, but EVERYONE has the same view of Dallas, whether you go to the UK, Brazil, even Hong Kong.

So as far as a brand name goes, we definitely have one, even though it's more based off a fictional tv series than the reality.

I just had my wife's family come visit for several months from Brazil. Her mother, father, sister, and cousins came to stay with us, and even though they already "knew" what Dallas is really like from what we've told them, that perception is there that we all live like an episode of "Dallas." Even other parts of the US think this, I have family in Iowa that used to think the same things.

No, we're not lacking a brand name at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2014, 08:27 AM
 
Location: North Texas
24,577 posts, read 34,238,838 times
Reputation: 28402
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
If that is the reason given, it's a very incorrect one. I've traveled several places around the world for work, to visit extended family, etc. "Dallas" is not just a city. It's a way of life that foreigners think we have here, where there are oil wells, horses, cowboys, etc... as far as the eye can see.

That perception is wrong of course, but EVERYONE has the same view of Dallas, whether you go to the UK, Brazil, even Hong Kong.

So as far as a brand name goes, we definitely have one, even though it's more based off a fictional tv series than the reality.

I just had my wife's family come visit for several months from Brazil. Her mother, father, sister, and cousins came to stay with us, and even though they already "knew" what Dallas is really like from what we've told them, that perception is there that we all live like an episode of "Dallas." Even other parts of the US think this, I have family in Iowa that used to think the same things.

No, we're not lacking a brand name at all.
I agree. I've lived in several countries. One of them, Poland, was behind the Iron Curtain for decades under tight censorship. Everyone I ever met there had heard of Dallas. The second I said I was from Dallas, they instantly mentioned the TV show or the Dallas Cowboys (or the cheerleaders). I've never met anyone overseas who has NOT heard of Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2014, 08:38 AM
 
17 posts, read 23,851 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I thought it was an odd idea from the beginning. I love Dallas, with all it's flaws. I was born and raised here. But it's far too hot in the summer and there is nothing about this city that calls to the rest of the world, hey! Come to Dallas! We're a business city. Nothing wrong with that. We should embrace it and not try to be something we aren't.
Its not about what we are or what we aren't, it's about what we can be. We don't need to limit ourselves or our metroplex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2014, 09:07 AM
 
178 posts, read 337,468 times
Reputation: 366
Good. We have much more urgent problems to worry about. Like funding transportation infrastructure, securing additional water supplies, and stamping out the persistent corruption in city, county governments and DISD. This on top of the struggle to cultivate new commercial development in south Dallas. We are simply not a world class city yet, ready for the world's microscope.

Atlanta was selected for two reasons. First, the Salt Lake 2002 bribery investigations showed the IOC took bribes starting with the Atlanta bid in 1990. Second, Atlanta's competition was Athens, which was a disorganized **** show of a candidate city. People just assumed the IOC would give the games to Athens for the centennial games.

Watching Atlanta since the 1996 games makes me want nothing to do with the Olympics here. The folks there balked at bidding again for the games and generally want to forget the 1996 games and move on. Olympic Stadium aka Turner Field is scheduled for demolition when the Braves move to their new stadium in Cobb County. The Georgia Dome is facing likely demolition when the new Falcons stadium opens. There are no lasting legacies of the games in the city other than the downtown park, which is blighted as the site of the bombing. If we're going to go on this ten-year commitment for the games, I want it to result in lasting, positive transformation that makes sustainability and the legacy of venues and infrastructure improvements the priority. Merely hoping the games will push us to fix our problems is unrealistic - that's what places like Athens and Montreal hoped and it's been a nightmare for them since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top