U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2014, 08:21 AM

19 posts, read 17,989 times

Advertisements

About to relocate to the Plano area. Looking for a second car that can seat 7. Safety is most important, traveling with kids. Other "luxury" features will be a nice bonus for husband... Used only, budget up to 30.000. Any recommendations? Any reliable dealers in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 08:24 AM

19,865 posts, read 57,940,611 times
I have always liked Brandon Tomes Subaru in McKinney, on US 75. They have several dealerships/makes of cars next to each other, Ford, etc. I'm sure they have something. You can also take either the DNT or 121 out there to be quicker. They have been very reliable and honest in the dealings I have had with them.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-14-2014 at 04:39 PM..

Old 06-14-2014, 08:35 AM

910 posts, read 1,006,392 times
You can get a well equipped Chevy Suburban/ GMC Yukon XL in that price point, especially since the 2015 model had a significant body style change (which I personally dislike). They are comfortable and inexpensive to maintain compared to an import but the gas mileage even without 4WD is terrible. They are great kid haulers though! As far as safety, the shorter wheelbase of the Chevy Tahoe/ GMC Yukon makes it easier to park and better handling but presents a greater roll over risk. The Ford equivalent is the Expedition and they seem to run a bit cheaper but have comparable features.

I would personally never buy a used "luxury" brand like Mercedes or BMW. And at 30K it will likely be a high mileage vehicle that possibly came from another part of the US where bad winter roads take a big toll on cars. A gently used Volvo that isn't from up north is a different story- the XC 70 station wagon was the best car I have ever owned! Can't wait to get back in one of those when I have front seat riders!

Old 06-14-2014, 04:39 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,940,611 times
My 3-seat Subaru Tribes seats 7. It also has a high safety rating from Consumer's Report. Don't know used prices.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-15-2014 at 12:35 PM..

Old 06-15-2014, 06:53 AM

326 posts, read 670,040 times
Go with a used Acura MDX. Extremely safe, extremely reliable to very high mileages, and very nice to drive in. Only negative is they're popular, so the turnover in good used ones will be quick...

Old 06-15-2014, 09:09 AM

954 posts, read 1,534,391 times
You can also try infiniti jx. They have better features to get in/out for the 3rd row passengers compared to any other make except may be ford flex, may be. I have a 4 year old mdx that I bought new in 2010. Love it and will keep it till the wheels fall off. No issues whatsoever. Strong reliability! Same will be with infiniti. All other makes "meh". Definitely not a Chevy. I don't think they know what they are doing and will hate to waste time to take it in for recall after recall. Maintenance cost per repair is cheaper on Chevy but everything starts falling apart after 3/4 years...

Old 06-15-2014, 01:55 PM

3,927 posts, read 5,068,764 times
I shopped at North Central ford on 75 got a great deal, great service. Just shop around and see what works. I personally would look at a suburban or a Chrysler Minivan.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:25 PM

19 posts, read 17,989 times
Default Thanks

Good advice. Thanks all.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:17 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,701,410 times
I've been using Sewell dealers for on a few years, but it will be hard to purchase a vehicle from any other dealers in the DFW area from now on. Unfortunately that limits my new car options to a few brands, but I don't mind purchasing a slightly used car from Sewell, just because of the level of service and customer satisfaction they strive for.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:17 AM

31,720 posts, read 49,197,424 times
Don't know what your specific needs are but the one factor that is better with a Town and Country mini vs Sienna which is well regarded is that all seats behind driver fold into the floor leaving perfectly flat storage space--
We moved a 6 ft table and 6 chairs--two with arms--from seller on CraigsList when we were at our FL house last summer--managed all of them (table had the legs unscrewed of course) in one trip in the rental Town n Country we had--lucky for us we got an upgrade at the TPA airport...

Have owned a Tahoe w/3rd row seating and used it when we had overflow--
it is fairly easy for kids to get in and out and agile adults who aren't too heavy--but the step up is higher than with some other SUVs and minivans...
don't think car seat kids would be doable on third seat because of awkward to put them in and out...and frankly I always worry about getting out after accident--

wished we had kept it for our FL house vs using a rental--

traded it for Buick Enclave w/3rd row--think it is somewhat easier to get in/out of the back---it rides easier, better gas mileage, and for our needs holds enough of what we usually carry on long trips but think my husband would prefer a Tahoe because it is wider for items like plywood sheets...and I don't like how the moon roofs are done--no solid way to screen out the sun

what ever you get with a 3rd row must make sure there are AC vents back there--with separate controls--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or