U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,873 times

Advertisements

I have been working in Las Colinas for the past year. I'm hoping to move my family from to DFW and purchase home at beginning of 2015. Ive talked to a number of realtors and they all say to buy home that is north of Dallas. Kids are in college. It will be just me and my wife. We also care for 84 year-old mom who is in early stages of alzheimers. Ideally I would like to minimize a long commute but do not have $300k+ to purchase near Las Colinas. Any thoughts on why I'm being 'encouraged' to look north and avoid west and south or east? (my budget is $200k - $250k). Thank you in advance for your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 11:20 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,686,631 times
You get more for your money north, the schools are generally better, newer construction, closer to job centers, and possibly redlining.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:18 PM

10,118 posts, read 21,370,355 times
I don't know why they are telling you not to move west of Las Colinas. Northeast Tarrant County is a great place to live. In Grapevine, Bedford and Euless, your $250k budget will buy a nice house, and you will not have to use a toll road to commute to work. (In Grapevine, there are several very nice Alzheimer's/memory care facilities.)

East and south of Las Colinas is Irving, and most of those areas are older and not as nice. You can find some pockets of nicer homes, such as around Baylor Irving Hospital, but generally speaking, the area isn't as nice.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:46 PM

2,610 posts, read 2,178,565 times
My guess is that you're white and they're steering you into an area that's mostly white with a few Asians.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:47 PM

3,927 posts, read 5,072,566 times
Not necessarily. Just better market, better resale, better schools, etc. I wouldn't want my kids in Dallas school-DIL teaches there and we get the skinny as to what it is actually like.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:20 PM

10,118 posts, read 21,370,355 times
Um, hello? Northeast Tarrant, especially Grapevine, is by far majority white, and has very good schools. Resale in NET and real estate market are both great.

Dallas ISD schools are nowhere even close to Las Colinas. To the north are Coppell and Carrollton Farmers Branch ISDs.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:59 PM

35,471 posts, read 38,875,114 times
This agent says to look west of LC and also north Arlington and Grand Prairie.
Does this balance out the other agents ?

As Christie mentions the cities west of the airport are good and have good schools.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:25 PM

4,195 posts, read 5,731,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
My guess is that you're white and they're steering you into an area that's mostly white with a few Asians.
Coppell and Carollton may have a higher white population. It's still about a 60/40 white/minority population for both cities. It's only a matter of time, before they become majority-minority. If you show up at the local public schools, there are more minorities than whites already.

Take a look at the demographics of the school districts.

Demographics / Demographics
Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD | The Texas Tribune

Old 06-16-2014, 11:26 AM

45 posts, read 58,033 times
It is illegal to steer a client based on the racial makeup of an area, so I highly doubt that has anything to do with it. Probably more that they listen to what you say you'd like and your budget and then suggest areas that fit both, and are likely to continue being desirable for resale value purposes.

I would suggest you consider all areas and buy where your needs and wants are met the most. Schools aren't a concern for your kids, only for resale value, but it sounds like access to medical care might be a stronger need for your mother.

Commute is probably the best reason not to look east of Dallas. If you like that area, drive it to see if it's something you're willing to do every day. My or any other person's commute tolerance will be different from yours, so that's a decision only you can make. East if Las Colinas is another story, here are some really nice communities that way.

There are several communities within your budget to consider in every direction. SW Dallas is going through transition and becoming quite hip. Keller is close and reasonably priced, and of course Carrollton and parts of Irving are going to fit into your price range.

Each area has their own characteristics, so you'll need to consider other factors than just budget and commute. Explore all of your options to get a feel for the areas to see which fits your personality and desires the best.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:11 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,928,450 times
I would look in the HEB area with that budget. You can find a nice neighborhood, especially since you don't care about the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or