Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 09:55 AM

11 posts, read 31,820 times

Advertisements

Feels like physical appearance plays a bigger role than we all appreciate in giving people an little extra edge. But how early in life does this begin? Any theories on this?

Research shows that people are more likely to think beautiful people are smart and talented. Why wouldn't we make those assumptions about children as well?I believe, with no evidence to support this, that the reason is to ensure Dallas private schools diversity. ie, it's fine to be Hispanic, even better to visually appear to be able to speak 2 languages.

We had an AD tell us that including a photo with our application helps their office to remember the children they've met. The AD said it was optional, but extremely helpful, especially if they meet you in the fall but don't make their decisions until March. Is this the real reason for the app picture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 10:41 AM

7 posts, read 10,521 times
I have always wondered this, if you get a really good looking well put together sophisticated couple do they even if their little darling is less qualified get brownie points (off the record) because that image might bode well for the school? Naturally no one would on the record admit to this but i can't help but think to some degree this goes on particularly for some schools? Do you agree?

Old 02-22-2015, 10:57 AM

28 posts, read 40,603 times
Looks matter in every walk of life. It's not fair but that's how it is. Winning genetic lottery is a person's first accomplishment and being born in a loaded family with high social standing is second. Ones who can't are already at a disadvantage when they come out of the uterus. Our social system is so flawed that it's sickening.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:44 AM

57 posts, read 96,372 times
What a shallow way of thinking. Assuming such practice exists, and a private school actually admits a child based on looks...what'll happen if the child get disfigured in an accident. Are they going to throw out the kid because he/she is not good looking anymore??

LOL! I couldn't help but had to comment on this thread!!!

Old 02-22-2015, 12:24 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleT View Post
Looks matter in every walk of life. It's not fair but that's how it is. Winning genetic lottery is a person's first accomplishment and being born in a loaded family with high social standing is second. Ones who can't are already at a disadvantage when they come out of the uterus. Our social system is so flawed that it's sickening.
Less so in highly technical work. Engineers who look good but are not otherwise blessed with talent won't succeed. The laws of nature and forces they must tame to be successful don't give a damn about the engineers looks.

The leaders and executives in this work do follow this trend to a larger degree, but without a photographic memory and great technical skills they are like an unarmed man at a machine gun war as the top executives at large technical based companies all had such memories along with top flight technical skills and experience.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:48 PM

4 posts, read 6,545 times
I agree that some kids interact better with adults than others. In part this comes from interactions with their own parents.

But it's also a process of constant reinforcement when they deal with strangers - which is probably related somewhat to the kids' looks, given how shallow society is.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:56 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,419 times
Yes, this does happen. Every few years, some news program like 20/20 or 60 minutes can be counted on to do a segment on this topic. As a species, we are wired for preferential/discriminatory practices. It may not always be a deliberate action but it happens.
As far as the poster who asked about disfiguring accidents, children wouldn't be thrown out any more than a person would be fired but it's a given their social experience would be very different afterward.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:33 AM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
Yes, this does happen. Every few years, some news program like 20/20 or 60 minutes can be counted on to do a segment on this topic. As a species, we are wired for preferential/discriminatory practices. It may not always be a deliberate action but it happens.
As far as the poster who asked about disfiguring accidents, children wouldn't be thrown out any more than a person would be fired but it's a given their social experience would be very different afterward.
I agree how else could one explain the infatuation with Hollywood than their looks? Kids with good minds are smart to go into STEM majors and careers. They learn that approach and results matter not looks.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:37 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeka21 View Post
Feels like physical appearance plays a bigger role than we all appreciate in giving people an little extra edge. But how early in life does this begin? Any theories on this?

Research shows that people are more likely to think beautiful people are smart and talented. Why wouldn't we make those assumptions about children as well?I believe, with no evidence to support this, that the reason is to ensure Dallas private schools diversity. ie, it's fine to be Hispanic, even better to visually appear to be able to speak 2 languages.

We had an AD tell us that including a photo with our application helps their office to remember the children they've met. The AD said it was optional, but extremely helpful, especially if they meet you in the fall but don't make their decisions until March. Is this the real reason for the app picture?

If their looks are attached to his parents wallet it could make a difference, otherwise not at all in my opinion.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:07 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I agree how else could one explain the infatuation with Hollywood than their looks? Kids with good minds are smart to go into STEM majors and careers. They learn that approach and results matter not looks.
Looks matter- no matter your major. An earlier poster said that in engineering that looks do not matter. It might matter less in that field that some others (think advertising), but it still matters quite a bit.

If you want to move up in the corporate world looks matter quite a bit. It is not only your facial appearance, but also your height. Go find me a fortune 500 CEO that is shorter than 5' 8". 30% of the male population is under this height, but you would be hard pressed to move up the corporate ladder if you are short (unless you started the company). Being Asian, I have a multitude of short relatives and I am cognizant of the fact that height could impact my kids' careers. (it is only one factor though out of dozens)

Want to find some good looking dudes- go look at some execs at banks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: