U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2014, 11:34 PM

5 posts, read 7,989 times

Advertisements

Hello ,

We are looking at potentially getting a house in Village Park, McKinney with Allen ISD.
We are getting a good deal for the house with lots of upgrades since it is a model home.

We love the floor plan of the house and best fits our need however our backyard would face the South Lake Forest Drive Road. How busy does that street get? We cannot hear anything inside but can hear cars when outside. The house is prewired all over and we can play music in the Backyard. The backyard is on the smaller size and has a 2 car garage.

How much would this effect our resale if we are looking to stay in the house for 5 plus years.

Appreciate your feedback! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 06:54 AM

277 posts, read 554,378 times
Lake Forest Drive is VERY busy in the morning especially in that area by 121. It will get noisy during rush hour. If its not the noise from LFD, its the noise from 121. I grew up in a house facing a highway and it never phased me. I thought it was cool watching for accidents and police chases and other interesting things. One time a car flipped over in front of our house and I hopped over the fence to assist, and it was a fried of mine! I was able to assist her and take care of her while the authorities and her boyfriend came to get her. I've witnessed a lot of crazy things growing up near a highway. Sorry to digress, but if you don't mind the noise and interesting things that happens on a busy street, then go for the house. I personally wouldn't live near a busy street again because I am a light sleeper and any noise will wake me up. If you MBR is in the back side facing LFD, then its up to you as builders know it will be a hard to sell. Why do you think lots bordering a busy street are never sold quickly? I suggest you get more upgrades/options added to the house if you want this home. Ask for additional trim work, A/V, build a grill in the patio, or have them pay full closing costs, or all of the above! Being a model home, negotiate the other appliances (washer/dryer) or furnishings into your deal. Builders selling their model homes usually sell the furniture/accessories once someone has bought the model. It wouldn't hurt to ask, and I bet you will get anything you ask for. Best deals for new homes are usually the ones that are inventory and spec as you can get god discounts off the asking price.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:42 AM

5 posts, read 7,989 times
Thank you for your input! Looks like its best if we walk away.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:34 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,548,533 times
Also, the open land across from that neighborhood will probably become either retail or residential before too long. That will increase traffic/noise even more - not to mention the construction phase(s).

Old 06-16-2014, 07:36 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,182,206 times
I live off of south Lake Forest. Very freaking busy certain times of the day, thats why you are probably getting a good deal.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:33 AM

705 posts, read 882,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaitab View Post
Hello ,

We are looking at potentially getting a house in Village Park, McKinney with Allen ISD.
We are getting a good deal for the house with lots of upgrades since it is a model home.

We love the floor plan of the house and best fits our need however our backyard would face the South Lake Forest Drive Road. How busy does that street get? We cannot hear anything inside but can hear cars when outside. The house is prewired all over and we can play music in the Backyard. The backyard is on the smaller size and has a 2 car garage.

How much would this effect our resale if we are looking to stay in the house for 5 plus years.

Appreciate your feedback! Thanks
They also seem to be building a lot of apartments right near that area. That can't be good for future resale value and also traffic congestion, as apartments usually aren't very well built to begin with & are not always maintained to the best standards...

I would be concerned about it from a resale standpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or