U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 04:33 PM

9 posts, read 11,850 times

Advertisements

Ok, here's my opinion. I have several friends who have recently sold homes and my husband and I are in the process of getting our home ready to sell. The market is crazy right now. Homes are going for asking price, some a bit lower, some a bit higher. It's very competitive for buyers (but great for sellers!). My advice is to stay where you are for another year or so and see how the market goes. Chances are prices will come down a bit and you'll have a little more saved up and can afford something you love instead of just bidding on houses because they're all getting same-day offers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 08:32 PM

24,577 posts, read 34,233,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiandhello View Post
Ok, here's my opinion. I have several friends who have recently sold homes and my husband and I are in the process of getting our home ready to sell. The market is crazy right now. Homes are going for asking price, some a bit lower, some a bit higher. It's very competitive for buyers (but great for sellers!). My advice is to stay where you are for another year or so and see how the market goes. Chances are prices will come down a bit and you'll have a little more saved up and can afford something you love instead of just bidding on houses because they're all getting same-day offers.
Prices aren't going to come down. The rate of increase might, but interest rates will go up in tandem. They're already higher than they were 12 months ago.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:32 PM

99 posts, read 118,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Prices aren't going to come down. The rate of increase might, but interest rates will go up in tandem. They're already higher than they were 12 months ago.
I would assume that unless there is significant increase in wages that an increase in interest rates would put pressure on the increase in home prices. I agree that DFW is slightly different because of the number of jobs moving into the area, and prices should hold up unless interest rates rise significantly.

Monthly P&I per $100,000 on a 30 yr fixed:

4% - $477
5% - $537 (+$59)
6% - $600 (+$63)
7% - $665 (+$66)
8% - $734 (+$68)

While an increase from 4-5% isn't a major change at $59 per month, consider that it is an additional payment of $1425 annually on a $200,000 mortgage. If a first time homebuyer is paying 28% of their income as their mortgage payment, their gross wages would have to increase $5,100 to compensate for the increase.

Likewise, at 4% the P&I on the $200,000 mortgage would be $955 /mo. If that is all that the buyer could afford, the max amount they could spend if rates increased 1% is $178,000.

It's also worth considering that home demand may be impacted by rising interest rates on student loans, further eroding the purchasing power of first time home buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or