U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 04:07 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,696,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Central isn't that empty.
Yea there was a wreck on central. We'll check the traffic maps tomorrow at 3:30 and see how much green vs. red there is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 04:14 PM

2,315 posts, read 3,093,303 times
Seems that there is ALWAYS on wreck on Central somewhere.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:29 PM

1,789 posts, read 2,084,888 times
I don't think Preston Center is the best judge for before five traffic. 35, 635, 75, Tollway at 635, Bush and 35, The I30 Canyon, etc are probably better choices.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:25 PM

83 posts, read 144,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-DFW View Post
We're relocating to the Dallas area from Austin and are trying to narrow down our search for which area to live. Below is our list of possibilities. Hubby will be working near 180 and 12, and is ok with traveling 45 minutes to work, but he'd rather live farther and drive 45 minutes with no traffic, than live close and spend 45 minutes in stop and go traffic. So, we're just wondering which roads and directions have the heaviest traffic during rush hour. Would any of the below areas be smoother sailing to/from hubby's office? (Ignore the numbers. I just copied/pasted from my notes.). Any areas that are missing from my list that we should consider? Great schools are a must.

🔹Euless (23)
🔹University Park (24)
🔹Bedford (26)
🔹*Coppell (26)
🔹*Grapevine (29)
🔹Hurst (33)
🔹*Colleyville (36)
🔹North Richland Hills (36)
🔹Haltom City (37)
🔹*Plano (38)
🔹Mansfield (39)
🔹Watauga (41)
🔹Saginaw (46)
🔹*Flower Mound (36)
Haltom City, Watagua, and Saginaw will require a long commute. It takes about 45 minutes to get to 180 and LP 12 without traffic, with traffic it will probably take about 75 minutes, especially with all the construction going on in that part of town. I would look at Mansfield, look at schools that feed into Lake Ridge High School, or Mansfield High School. From Mansfield the drive to you husbands work is 20 miles, and there isn't much traffic along the parts of IH20 and Spur 408 he'd be traveling on. In fact my typical commute from Mansfield/Arlington(Country Club & S. Collins) to Belt Line Station(26 miles to the North) is about 35 minutes at 3:45 in the afternoon.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:30 AM

16 posts, read 17,420 times
Awesome, thanks Celestino!

Old 06-18-2014, 12:07 PM

236 posts, read 292,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
It's 4 in the afternoon(30 minutes after your "rush hour" started). Look at all that CRAZY traffic on the Tollway, haha!
There is no way that's 4 pm. I'll take a picture today at 4 pm to show you how 4 pm traffic actually looks like.

In fact I will take a picture at 3:30 pm and every 30 minutes after that. I have to stay at work til 8 tonight and I will prove you once again how wrong you are.

Also keep in mind that we are in summer so the school traffic won't even be around until August. Nine months out of a year, we also have to endure additional school traffic.

Last edited by bigdaddycool1111; 06-18-2014 at 12:16 PM..

Old 06-18-2014, 12:42 PM

12,195 posts, read 23,105,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycool1111 View Post
There is no way that's 4 pm. I'll take a picture today at 4 pm to show you how 4 pm traffic actually looks like.

In fact I will take a picture at 3:30 pm and every 30 minutes after that. I have to stay at work til 8 tonight and I will prove you once again how wrong you are.

Also keep in mind that we are in summer so the school traffic won't even be around until August. Nine months out of a year, we also have to endure additional school traffic.
Dude, can you chill out a bit? Maybe this is hard for you to comprehend, but rush hour is IS NOT 3:30-8pm. Every highway has a different rush "hour" and even lanes going opposite directions on the same road have different rush "hours". I can only speak to the DNT because that's what I'm on every day but the southbound rush hour goes from about 4:50-6:15. Northbound starts earlier, around 4:30 and ends around the same time.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:42 PM

4,153 posts, read 8,184,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycool1111 View Post
Bingo!

Traffic is noticeably lighter with schools being out. All bets are off once school starts up again though. I don't notice the toll getting all jacked up right away now that I think about it, whether school is in session or summer time. I want to say it starts jacking up around 5pm. 75 on the other hand seems to start getting congested around 3:30pm. Thats my experience on days when I have to make an afternoon run up to Richardson anyhow. 635 West of Central is always a mess but even more so during rush hours.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:45 PM

236 posts, read 292,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Bingo!

Traffic is noticeably lighter with schools being out. All bets are off once school starts up again though. I don't notice the toll getting all jacked up right away now that I think about it, whether school is in session or summer time. I want to say it starts jacking up around 5pm. 75 on the other hand seems to start getting congested around 3:30pm. Thats my experience on days when I have to make an afternoon run up to Richardson anyhow. 635 West of Central is always a mess but even more so during rush hours.
I remember 3-4 years ago people would leave the office at 4:20 in order to beat the traffic on toll road going north. Now the same people leave at 3:20 to beat the traffic because it starts much earlier now. On Fridays, it even starts earlier than that. Of course, the summer traffic is a lot lighter than the winter traffic, but there is still plenty of traffic to go around. I usually leave work at 7 and I still endure bits and pieces of traffic, even though rush hour traffic is not at full force by then.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:57 PM

4,179 posts, read 4,345,083 times
TomTom just put out a report that says DFW traffic is 37th of 63 cities in North America, and we lose 21 minutes per busiest hours vs 31 for Houston and 39 for LA.

DFW has better traffic than the dominant metro areas of Nashville, Virginia Beach, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Sacramento, and Riverside CA and DFW has slightly worse traffic than the dominant metro areas of Charlotte, Providence RI, Minneapolis and San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas