Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 11:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,589 times

Advertisements

I just got a job in North Mesquite near Eastfield College and am trying to decide whether mid to south Garland or north Mesquite would be the best place to settle? I would prefer not to have a long commute.

We are not looking for a fancy, newly built neighborhood. Smaller, older, fixer uppers are more our style. Also, we don't mind having diverse neighbors. We're mostly looking for a safe, family oriented neighborhood with decent schools and low crime rates. Bonus if it is an area with big back yards. We've been preapproved for $200, but would rather find a place closer to $80 that we could fix up and make our own.

Thanks so much for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 12:01 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,485,457 times
The area zoned to Poteet High School is usually considered the best part of Mesquite. I think it's on the north side.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:16 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,528,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metromom2015 View Post
trying to decide whether mid to south Garland or north Mesquite would be the best place to settle?
I love many things about Garland, but mid to south Garland is not the best bet.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:22 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
Definitely look in Poteet HS attendance area. North Mesquite and South Garland are not the best parts of town anymore. You might not be able to make a fixer-upper pay off just due to the area. Anything in the $80 range is going to be in an old neighborhood where the surrounding houses aren't much better.

You might look in Little Forest Hills in east Dallas. You could do a fixer there and likely make money since the area is getting more popular again.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:20 AM

161 posts, read 260,225 times
Be careful with how much you are willing to put in with Mesquite. The ROI isn't that great after $200k and some homes get stuck if they are over the $200k price range. If you go with Mesquite, look for homes in Beasley/Austin, & Porter Elementary schools. Those are listed in order of usually the performance and PTA involvement.

DO NOT go with anything in the North Mesquite/West Mesquite Feeder patters even though location might be tempting. Look at Wallace Elementary zone in Dallas (RISD). You might luck into a $200k. Lake Highlands Elementary could fit but the home location at that price would probably be on busy Plano or Walnut Hill. That commute could be made to Eastfield in 10-15 minutes from that part of town as well. You would have better luck with your wish list IMO. PM me if you want an agent referral for that area.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:34 AM

477 posts, read 1,051,433 times
There is a small, neighborhood behind Audubon park off of Oates. It's on the Mesquite/Garland border. It's bounded by the park on one side, the golf course on another side and the greenbelt on the north side. It's literally surrounded by green space. I'm not sure what schools it's zoned too. The zip is 75043 and Trails Pkwy is the only street that leads into the neighborhood.

Another neighborhood I would look into in Garland is Eastern Hills off of Broadway and Centerville. Beautiful neighborhood with well kept homes. People take pride in their homes there and it shows.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:00 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times
I personally like the Town East area. Not sure of specifics, but I suspect South Garland is heavily Mexican and North Mesquite is suburban AA. I kinda like that mix. Seems to me that presents a great opportunity to get the fixer upper you like. I love the Town East shopping area. reasonably priced, everything you need - lots of nice families - no Gucci posers.

Warren Buffett says "when everyone else is scared, be greedy. When everyone else is greedy, be scared." Don't be scared of Town East.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:02 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,287,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickbear View Post
Look at Wallace Elementary zone in Dallas (RISD). You might luck into a $200k. Lake Highlands Elementary could fit but the home location at that price would probably be on busy Plano or Walnut Hill. That commute could be made to Eastfield in 10-15 minutes from that part of town as well. You would have better luck with your wish list IMO. PM me if you want an agent referral for that area.
This is the best advice. Mesquite is not known for good schools, houses that retain their value, and most of the city isn't known for being very safe. Your best bet is to buy whatever is in your price range in Lake Highlands HS zone in northeast Dallas and having a short commute. The schools are much better and the quality of life - even living on or adjacent to a busy street- is much better as well.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:44 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
I grew up in Town East. The area has gone down really badly in the last 20 years. No Gucci there at all now. My sister lived there until 2000. When her kids were the only Anglo kids in their classes at school, she moved out to Royse City.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:44 AM

17 posts, read 19,083 times
I grew up in garland and bought my 1st home almost 7 yrs ago in the eastern hills country club area. Like someone else said, most people take care of their homes and have nice manicured lawns. Bigger lots, big trees gas heat and older pier and beam homes were what I was looking for. Crime wise petty theft is the only thing I'd be worried about. The drive to eastfield would he pretty quick. It definitely gets a little sketchy south on Broadway or north towards miller road. The way the economy is I'd expect simple theft to be a problem all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: