U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 02:21 PM

309 posts, read 984,442 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with any of these companies for their home warranties?? I'm trying to find a good policy for a home I'm closing on next week.

Old Republic:
Fidelity:
American Home Guardian:
American Home Shield:
Choice Home Warranty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 01:18 AM

4,152 posts, read 13,730,303 times
Old Republic would be my first choice and then Home Warranty Of America. I, as well as clients of mine have had real bad experience with American Home Shield.

Congrats on your new home.

Naima

Old 06-18-2014, 12:34 PM

25 posts, read 27,600 times
I've had bad experiences with both Old Republic and American Home Shield. I think it is just a problem inherent in the home warranty business - they use less reputable service people who are motivated to make only a temporary fix. As between the two, I think Old Republic has better customer service. Make sure you are persistent when you need a repair and keep their feet to the fire. Eventually they will fix or replace - but you have to make them do it.
good luck

Old 06-18-2014, 05:43 PM

4 posts, read 6,950 times
I thought we were not supposed to use names but my favorite starts with an N and is not on your list.

Bottom line is these companies contract with the lowest bidder. A lot of what they cover you can take the hit on if it breaks & remember, you have a co-pay. Do you care if your ice maker breaks or your garage door remote goes on the fritz? They are valuable for the big ticket items like pool pumps, air conditioners ect.

Basically if someone else is paying for it (the seller) then why would you not want one? If you are closing next week, your Realtor should be able to tell you one they like. Feedback is freely given from clients when they do a poor job so an agent should give you good advice.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:47 PM

24,577 posts, read 34,243,351 times
I have American Home Shield, have had them for five years. It pays for itself every year. Just got a new garbage disposal.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:21 PM

910 posts, read 1,005,109 times
We had American Home Shield the first year in this home and we were thankful. I am sure experiences vary but we used it for an AC Unit and some other issue (can't remember, almost 7 years ago, water heater maybe?) and it was nice to not have to cough up every penny of the replacements.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:48 AM

309 posts, read 984,442 times
We have a credit to pick our own. (Seller is paying for it) Trying to find a very good one.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:15 PM

705 posts, read 883,055 times
My realtor recommends American Home Shield or Nations Preferred, and they have sold A LOT of houses.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,257 times
One way to find out current complaint information is to contact TREC. They tend to have the most up to date information from consumers in Texas about residential service contract companies (that's what they call home warranties.) Another way to check out the companies' recent consumer feedback is to go to Home Warranty Company Reviews. But one thing a lot of buyers forget to check is the contractor network in their specific area. If you are choosing from those three companies be sure to ask for contractor references and look to see how far their contractors are from you. You can also check out their local contractors to make sure they have technicians known for good quality work.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:58 PM

35,333 posts, read 38,769,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
My realtor recommends American Home Shield or Nations Preferred, and they have sold A LOT of houses.
AHS kicks back money to some agents for the referral. They are the one company I never recommend.

They deny way to many legitimate claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or