U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 09:03 PM

261 posts, read 1,463,543 times

Advertisements

I had several salespeople visit me this week pitching home security alarms (i just moved into a new house). I am a bit confused at what features are truly important. Does anyone know of a good company that has reasonable rates for the Plano/Murphy area? If so please PM me/.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 11:36 PM

4,198 posts, read 14,471,072 times
The features you want is to have all the windows and outside doors wired. Depending on how big your house is, you want a pad by the front door, a pad by the door leading to the garage and a pad in the master bedroom. The motion sensors cause too much false alarm with pets in homes I have found.

If it's monitored, a good price should be around $20-25 per month.

Lots of companies offer free installation if you have them monitor the system.

Check out the following companies: ADT, Brinks, Ranger

Since you just purchased a home, you will be, if not already, flooded with junk mail from companies offering you to refinance, insurance, home improvement and more and also people offering to file the homestead exemption for you for just $20-50. Do not do it, you can file it yourself and it's free. Some of it will look "official" because they'll know how much you owe, but that part is public information.

Congratulations on your new home.

Naima

Old 12-16-2007, 08:13 AM

875 posts, read 964,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robzherenow View Post
I had several salespeople visit me this week pitching home security alarms (i just moved into a new house). I am a bit confused at what features are truly important. Does anyone know of a good company that has reasonable rates for the Plano/Murphy area? If so please PM me/.

Thanks
I worked for Honeywell Home & Building Control in northern California - which is a security company.

If you really feel like you need a security system, here are the main areas to consider:

You want contacts on all of your ground floor windows (including any garage windows), and all entry/exit doors. If you have a door leading from your garage into the house, put a contact on that too. You would put a digital keypad just inside the door leading from the garage - or next to the door you enter/exit. I would also recommend utilizing motion detectors if you can afford it. These can be positioned to cover a wide area, such as mounting it facing down a hallway, as opposed to putting one in each room. If you have a pet, they will need to be put in the garage or in the back yard with motion sensors.

I would also recommend installing heat detectors. These are usually installed over the kitchen stove, above the water heater, in the hallway near bedrooms, near your heating unit, and in a closet or wall behind any wood burning fireplace. These are not very expensive, but well worth it in case of fire.

I haven't heard of pads being used in home security in over 30 years. If your perimeter is well secured, there is no need for pads. Also, a pad can easily be stepped over when next to a door.

Many insurance companies give discounts for having a home security system, but it's not very much.

Last edited by ladysrodgers; 12-16-2007 at 08:22 AM..

Old 12-16-2007, 12:42 PM

438 posts, read 1,698,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
I haven't heard of pads being used in home security in over 30 years. If your perimeter is well secured, there is no need for pads. Also, a pad can easily be stepped over when next to a door.
I assumed the poster mean "keycode entry pad" to disable the system when you come home.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:57 PM

3,660 posts, read 8,052,418 times
Quote:
You want contacts on all of your ground floor windows (including any garage windows), and all entry/exit doors. If you have a door leading from your garage into the house, put a contact on that too. You would put a digital keypad just inside the door leading from the garage - or next to the door you enter/exit. I would also recommend utilizing motion detectors if you can afford it. These can be positioned to cover a wide area, such as mounting it facing down a hallway, as opposed to putting one in each room. If you have a pet, they will need to be put in the garage or in the back yard with motion sensors.
When we installed a security system in our old home, there was no way to do the windows without huge expense. We considered motion detectors but with 3 cats that wasn't practical. We opted for glass break detectors and that worked pretty well as a retrofit solution.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:58 AM

31 posts, read 82,003 times
Default DFW Alarm the way to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robzherenow View Post

Thanks
I would suggest DFWAlarm (dfwalarm.com). They charge $12.95/month billed quarterly. Service has been fantastic and Al (the owner) is great.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
I assumed the poster mean "keycode entry pad" to disable the system when you come home.
Doh, you're probably right! There used to be sensor pads under rugs back in the old days, I assumed that's what they were talking about.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
When we installed a security system in our old home, there was no way to do the windows without huge expense. We considered motion detectors but with 3 cats that wasn't practical. We opted for glass break detectors and that worked pretty well as a retrofit solution.
It seems odd to me that window contacts would be expensive - they're simple to install. I guess it depends on the structure of the house.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:52 AM

3,660 posts, read 8,052,418 times
Quote:
It seems odd to me that window contacts would be expensive - they're simple to install. I guess it depends on the structure of the house.
At the time, we'd have had to hard wire them. Wireless wasn't one of the options.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:36 PM

69 posts, read 276,420 times
I used to work for Ranger American in new home sales many years ago. I can tell you there are a few things i would HIGHLY recommend having (and I'm not biased bc I'm not in that industry anymore).

Glass Break Detector near any exterior door that is full glass, IE: Sliding glass, reg door w/ glass that some could fit/step through if broken.

Is your house brand new? Who wired the pre wiring for the house currently? More than likely it was probably Ranger American, who offer ADT for monitoring. ADT is pretty expensive for monthly rate, but they are the best.

If you go w/ another company, IE: Brinks, you might have to have any equipment that already came w/ your house replaced with compatible equipment. Just ask, they will tell you.

Monitored Smoke/HEAT/Carbon Manoxide detectors.... these are VERY IMPORTANT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>