U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 12:25 PM

212 posts, read 354,281 times

Advertisements

Many areas of Plano look "dirty and rundown", too [/shrug], and of course to each their own. But if someone is seriously looking in central and east Plano and not also considering Richardson and the neighborhoods of North Dallas that are RISD, they are doing themselves a disservice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 12:33 PM

11 posts, read 13,531 times
This is NE Richardson.

realtor.com

Old 06-20-2014, 12:34 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,081,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovejoy_family View Post
All the articles I point to were external sources and based off actual data. Yes 2 out of 3 Plano schools have an edge in SAT scores, but that gap shrinks annually and I haven't seen this year's data. Plus I haven't seen ACT rankings.
Lovejoy via zoning and price point has conveniently filtered out the riff raff and apartment latchkey crackpipe kids and the children of illiterate gardeners. (And I rank myself as one of these kids in my youth so don't flame me.)

Plano and the other districts have not. Plano in particular has a very large "apartment crowd." Despite this, PISD just blows the barn doors off educating everyone.

Lovejoy should therefore be ranked with the privates and TAM and the magnets rather than with the mainstream ISDs. In either comparison mode, Lovejoy comes up short. Way short.

Lovejoy's SAT averages are the result of demographics, not the big three expectations : peers, parents, and curriculum.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:47 PM

2,315 posts, read 3,095,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post

I personally think many areas of Richardson look kind of dirty and run down. Clearly others disagree, but that is just my opinion. That's why there are so many different types of places to live - everyone can't like the same area.
Well, the East Richardson area around Breckinridge Park is anything but dirty and run down. Also is zoned to Plano schools.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:20 PM

114 posts, read 107,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Lovejoy via zoning and price point has conveniently filtered out the riff raff and apartment latchkey crackpipe kids and the children of illiterate gardeners. (And I rank myself as one of these kids in my youth so don't flame me.)

Plano and the other districts have not. Plano in particular has a very large "apartment crowd." Despite this, PISD just blows the barn doors off educating everyone.

Lovejoy should therefore be ranked with the privates and TAM and the magnets rather than with the mainstream ISDs. In either comparison mode, Lovejoy comes up short. Way short.

Lovejoy's SAT averages are the result of demographics, not the big three expectations : peers, parents, and curriculum.
ISD's don't determine zoning, so Lovejoy and Plano have nothing to do with zoning and price point. I"ve attended Planning and Zoning meetings and have never seen a school official present, let alone speak.

Now your take is to classify Lovejoy as a private school, even though it educates all the students that live in it's borders... I don't know what your issue is with Lovejoy but your arguments are way off base.

So Lovejoy gets public school funding and is now performing "way short" of private schools. Please go check your stats. Lovejoy is doing great and many people leave private schools to attend Lovejoy.

75007 have you or any of your family members ever attended Lovejoy schools. You pretend to know what your talking about, but it is obvious you don't...

Old 06-20-2014, 04:44 PM

12,202 posts, read 23,119,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Lovejoy had 3 NMSF; Plano ISD had 78. Plano is 15X larger than Lovejoy so to put the Plano NMSF on Lovejoy's scale, 78 / 15 = 5.2

Even adjusted for size, Plano has 73% more NMSF than Lovejoy (5.2 vs. 3).

I don't know how you can possibly keep saying Lovejoy ISD is better than Plano? Lovejoy isn't bad; it's certainly a top 10-15ish area high school, but it's not in the same league as Plano, HP, Southlake, Flower Mound and Coppell. Sorry. It's most definitely in the next tier of schools....which is not a bad place to be!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Care to respond to this one? You conveniently skipped right over it in your quest to prove Lovejoy is better than Plano. Lovejoy's claim to fame is it's all-Honors / AP track classes so one would think the district would over-index in NMSF.

And I don't buy the BS about taking the ACT in 7th grade and never again; there's too much riding on the line for sophomore & junior scores (National Merit full ride scholarships, for one) that a student would be a fool not to take it high school, especially if the scores were Duke TIP-worthy in 7th grade. Plus, the College Board wipes pre-9th grade scores off a student's record unless specifically requested to keep it on for college admissions....though most colleges would wonder why the student never re-tested and would trust more recent scores more!

And I'm not a pro-Plano person...graduated from HP and currently live in Dallas (although I work in Plano) so it will be private schools for us.
@Lovejoy_Family, again...care to respond to these facts that show Lovejoy lags Plano ISD considerably? You've conveniently skipped over my TWO posts but continued to respond to later posts.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:23 PM

3,634 posts, read 7,450,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovejoy_family View Post
Never claimed Lovejoy was the same as HP. Never claimed it was the same as SLC. I have great respect for both those districts and all they have done and continue to do. So please don't try to speak for me. Lovejoy is easily on par with PISD academically, and so are multiple other schools in the area.
Nowhere did I ever say that was a comment you made. I was speaking about many of your neighbors.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:20 AM

44 posts, read 37,331 times
Plano is an excellent district, no doubt. But I wonder about comparing the quality of an education provided by the district based solely on the number of NMSF or SAT scores, because I would presume it was the result of a lot more than just the education provided by the ISD.

I found an article that discussed what went into being a NMSF, and the quote that stood out was "being named a National Merit Scholar has been a goal for the 17-year-old, who has given up vacation days, weekends and endless hours after school as he prepared for the PSAT, the test that qualifies students for the scholarship." Plano ISD leads state in National Merit Scholars | Dallas Morning News

Having a reputation as a school district for these smart and focused kids attracts similarly-minded families. Full disclosure: my kids just started at Lovejoy. We have been extremely happy with the elementary school. We preferred a smaller district.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:51 AM

2,315 posts, read 3,095,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFJag View Post
Plano is an excellent district, no doubt. But I wonder about comparing the quality of an education provided by the district based solely on the number of NMSF or SAT scores, because I would presume it was the result of a lot more than just the education provided by the ISD.

I found an article that discussed what went into being a NMSF, and the quote that stood out was "being named a National Merit Scholar has been a goal for the 17-year-old, who has given up vacation days, weekends and endless hours after school as he prepared for the PSAT, the test that qualifies students for the scholarship." Plano ISD leads state in National Merit Scholars | Dallas Morning News

Having a reputation as a school district for these smart and focused kids attracts similarly-minded families. Full disclosure: my kids just started at Lovejoy. We have been extremely happy with the elementary school. We preferred a smaller district.
It has been shared on here before by PISD students that having NMSF students in an AP or Honors class can push other students to try a little harder. Not give up all free time to study, but just try harder and reach more of their potential. Having those students elevates the student body as a whole, not just those students.

With no competition, many students just slide by doing only what it takes to pass STARR and make and A.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:34 AM

11 posts, read 13,531 times
There is no pressure on kids from PISD schools to try for NMSF. Only willing participants go for it, rest go according to their own pace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas