U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 09:14 AM

375 posts, read 443,635 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating to TX this summer. I will work in Bedford. We would like to rent for 1 year before purchasing. Are the following areas nice for a young family?
1. North Richland Hills--anyone know about the community of Hometown?
2. Bedford
3. Euless
4. Hurst
5. Grapevine

I would like a nice community. Ideally around $1700/month
Honest opinions needed! I have a 2 year old son and want him to have
Nice neighborhood kids to play with. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 11:34 AM

10,118 posts, read 21,370,355 times
Yes, all of those are nice. I would put Bedford at the bottom of the list as it isn't as nice as the others, and the demographics there are more older people than young families.

If you like the movie "The Truman Show" then you will like Hometown. It just seems too artificial for me...

You might have to increase your rental budget to get a house. The market is just so tough right now!

Old 06-19-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Yes, all of those are nice. I would put Bedford at the bottom of the list as it isn't as nice as the others, and the demographics there are more older people than young families.

If you like the movie "The Truman Show" then you will like Hometown. It just seems too artificial for me...

You might have to increase your rental budget to get a house. The market is just so tough right now!
Thank you

Old 06-20-2014, 07:49 PM

49 posts, read 62,722 times
As someone who just spent two weeks over two separate trips scouting out most of the Dallas side of the metroplex and pretty much the exact area you're looking at outside Fort Worth for a rental house for July, you don't have to increase your rental budget to get a house. Plenty out there under $1700.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madchester View Post
As someone who just spent two weeks over two separate trips scouting out most of the Dallas side of the metroplex and pretty much the exact area you're looking at outside Fort Worth for a rental house for July, you don't have to increase your rental budget to get a house. Plenty out there under $1700.
Yes, Ft Worth is MUCH more reasonable, but we aren't sure where my husband will work yet. If he gets a job in Irving, then that's a long hike. We found a nice 2/2 apartment in Grapevine for $1509/mo (Marquis at Silver Oaks). I was hoping for a 3/2, but didnt want to spend an arm and a leg. The rental rates are insanely expensive right now! Many units did not come with a fridge OR a washer/dryer and still wanted to charge $1800+ for a unit. That became very frustrating.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:06 PM

59 posts, read 109,279 times
Quote:

Foreal? I grew up in HEB and live in Bedford 50% the time now. Lived in Hurst and Euless before that. Moving to Euless soon. But in my head I'd put Bedford at the top of those 3. Guess it depends which area of each town and which ISD. Was interested in seeing your view!

I will say for OPs 2 year old son - Bedford Library has an excellent storytime program and Bedford Boys Ranch is a great park. Check it out and maybe I'll see you there!

Old 06-24-2014, 07:33 PM

10,118 posts, read 21,370,355 times
Grapevine Library is nicer than Bedford and also has list of kids programs. Grapevine, TX - Official Website - Library

Once the Grapevine Community Center rebuild is done, it will be far nicer than Boys Ranch. Grapevine also has several community pools and splash pads. Grapevine, TX - Official Website - Aquatics

Old 06-26-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Grapevine Library is nicer than Bedford and also has list of kids programs. Grapevine, TX - Official Website - Library

Once the Grapevine Community Center rebuild is done, it will be far nicer than Boys Ranch. Grapevine also has several community pools and splash pads. Grapevine, TX - Official Website - Aquatics
Thanks! Can't wait to take my son to the 'sprayground.'

Old 06-27-2014, 12:22 PM

31,722 posts, read 49,222,313 times
Bedford is a nice town--
what happened in Bedford is that a group of cantankerous selfish senior citizens w/o a lick of community spirit hobbled the tax rate and made the city spend money on a lawsuit because they/seniors wanted to cut back city taxes...or at least how THEIR city taxes were calculated...
I know some of them and they are the kind of people who want THEIR needs met before anyone else--
heaven forbid the ISD which is one of the tightest run ships in the state should get an extra penny of their taxes...

Now I think the balance of power has shifted within the electorate and more reasonable minds or maybe more/younger voters with families are voting...

Bedford is in ideal location for commuting and has a very nice library of its own--
you can see on the website that there are plenty of programs for teens and children
Bedford Public Library
PS==it also has one of the best Tex-Mex local restaurants you could want to eat at--
Lupe's on Central across from the HEB AdMin bldg...
AWESOME!!!
way better than Joe T's in FTW or Abuelo's in Hurst or Esparza's in Grapevine...

NRHills is nice area--considered good for young families--some apts going WEST on Cheek Sparger towards Davis (check a map if those names aren't familiar to you) and some on Hwy 26--but might be expensive and not suited to families--there are lot of them--

there are some older threads about HomeTown you can search for/read--
the knock on HomeTown for me is two fold--
they use alleys vs front driveways/garages so the lots are fairly small and with people who visit howmeowners parking on the narrow streets there can be congestion...
and the streets can be very winding--hard to find your way in/out--

but could be walkable to the elementary school that the neighborhood feeds into--
has grocery store close (Kroger) and some local restaurants that you might could bike to if you wanted
there is city bike trail close and you are close to the NRH2O water park

Old 06-27-2014, 02:02 PM

2,885 posts, read 3,927,590 times
My daughter and some family friends sing the praises of NRH2O water park. My general impression from driving through is that North Richland Hills has some nice to very nice areas. All the areas you note are pretty good overall, although I believe there are some "meh" pockets of Euless and Hurst. loves2read has, in other threads, noted some strong positives about HEB ISD.

Grapevine and a small part of Euless are in GCISD, which has better metrics but also more affluent demographics and generally more expensive to buy in. Part of NRH is in Birdville ISD - same family friends that love NRH2O have had positive experiences with one of the elementaries in Birdville.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or