U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 06:03 PM

15,443 posts, read 22,708,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
God, I HATE snakes !!!!! Gives me chills just looking at it.

Don
Me too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 06:08 PM

24,576 posts, read 34,315,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Me too!
They're not my favorite either but they're part of our ecosystem and at the risk of sounding like a hippie, they have as much right to live here as I do. I'll kill insects like fire ants and mosquitoes without a frisson of guilt, though. I'll also go nuclear on rats. Anything else, though...no. I'd even wonder if I could safely relocate a poisonous snake before I'd consider killing it.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:01 PM

714 posts, read 665,937 times
I HATE snakes as well... I am looking for houses in the north dallas area. Now I am concerned especially I have a 2 yr old. Had similar exp. while I was in CO. Was mowing the backyard with flip flops on and something crawled in between the grass. Scared the crap out of me and I ran like hell. It was a small snake around 2 ft long. Didn't knew if poisonous or not, ran to garage, grabbed a shovel and chopped its head off...Turned out it was a garden snake. Few days later found 2 more of them... I hate f*ckin SNAKES....

Old 06-19-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
I HATE snakes as well... I am looking for houses in the north dallas area. Now I am concerned especially I have a 2 yr old. Had similar exp. while I was in CO. Was mowing the backyard with flip flops on and something crawled in between the grass. Scared the crap out of me and I ran like hell. It was a small snake around 2 ft long. Didn't knew if poisonous or not, ran to garage, grabbed a shovel and chopped its head off...Turned out it was a garden snake. Few days later found 2 more of them... I hate f*ckin SNAKES....
Just leave them alone, seriously...I don't see them often in my yard and when I do, they're almost always harmless grass snakes or garter snakes less than a foot long, about as big around as my index finger. Hardly scary.

You should be more afraid of mosquitoes.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:02 PM

153 posts, read 183,029 times
I'd rather have a few good snakes around than an abundance of rodents.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:19 AM

31,727 posts, read 49,252,959 times
You must have that mower set very low to get that snake--
I tried that with a rattlesnake w/o any luck--
BUT I could leave the mower running an on top of him to keep him isolated from my kids while my husband got the hoe--

most snakes kind of nestle into the grass really so I am surprised you could chop him up...

Old 06-20-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSiczpak View Post
I'd rather have a few good snakes around than an abundance of rodents.
Me too, though rat snakes will eat pretty much anything in addition to rodents. When they get large enough they can be a threat to small pets like chihuahuas and kittens, and they've been known to eat entire nests of birds including baby owls and hawks. I've heard stories of them trying to take on full-grown birds of prey.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:24 AM

12 posts, read 30,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
God, I HATE snakes !!!!! Gives me chills just looking at it.

Don

Don, my Dad also hated them - he was pretty fearless about most anything - Except snakes!! I remember that suprised me when I found that out as a child.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:01 AM

6,257 posts, read 13,514,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
You must have that mower set very low to get that snake--
I tried that with a rattlesnake w/o any luck--
BUT I could leave the mower running an on top of him to keep him isolated from my kids while my husband got the hoe--

most snakes kind of nestle into the grass really so I am surprised you could chop him up...
We have zoysia grass in our backyard, it grows VERY thick, and you are supposed to keep it cut a bit shorter than Bermuda or other types of grasses. You don't really sink into zoysia, you tread on top of it. Same goes for the snake, there was no way for him to nestle down into it.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:03 PM

153 posts, read 183,029 times
I found a four foot long gopher snake in the yard, lumbering along with a big gut full of something it had recently eaten. I showed the snake to my 5 year old kid, and we gathered up the snake in a cooler and took it down to the lake side and let it go amongst the weeds.

On the other hand, my silly neighbor went crazy about a five inch baby snake down by the lake and made Big Scene about stomping and grinding the poor creature into the gravel. What an idiot. Maybe he mistook the snake for a politician or tax assessor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas