U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 08:32 AM

420 posts, read 411,418 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used any local companies to design and install a storage system for their garage? Im looking for wall units, preferably built in cabinets vs. open shelving. Also need overhead options like racks for large plastic totes and seasonal items. Im not sure I want to mess with installing overhead racks as a DIY Also need a mudroom station outside the garage entry. I hate not having a place right near the door as an organized drop point.

I looked through the archives and found only recommendations for Container Store Elfa system. That may work, but Im looking for something a little more built-in/custom. For the price of the Elfa, would it really be much more? I would like to add value to the house if I can.

Also, I am used to attics and basements for storage. What are some of your storage solutions in this area other than a bay of your garage? Decking in the attic? What about the heat? Are you just selective about what goes up there? We are trying to be more minimalist but with two young kids it's almost impossible.

If you have any company recommendations or designers that specialize in this please let me know. I love supporting local businesses when I can. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 10:56 AM

6,257 posts, read 13,493,521 times
I put down 3/4" plywood in our attic where I could, so we could store a bunch of stuff up there, and I also put in overhead racks in the garage by myself. It's not hard, just need to have a good stud finder. Now we actually have more storage than we need, which is a good problem to have.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:45 AM

3,927 posts, read 5,064,411 times
You can get good garage cabinetry at the home improvement stores. I ordered overhead storage racks off the Internet and installed them myself in about an hour. You can get one of the custom companies to come out but it will cost you. As to attic storage, I did the 3/4" plywood also, had the home improvement companies rip it into 2' wide lengths to get it into the attic, used deck screws to screw it down.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:00 PM

420 posts, read 411,418 times
I had no idea it was that easy to install the overhead racks. Thanks!

Old 06-21-2014, 09:31 AM

382 posts, read 515,681 times
Great suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or