U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 06:39 AM

8,059 posts, read 10,552,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznkobee View Post
We all know the answer, just talk to anybody in retail. I heard car salesmen would clear the floor whenever they see them walk in. Its not stereotype when it is true
There is a place to appreciate cultural differences in retail without being racist or bigoted. The typical buyer from any Asian nation will have a background where haggling is part of any purchase experience and those from India are known to excel in the craft. It can be difficult when you don't know how to respond, but I have been working with Indian customers for 10 years now and they are like anyone else when it comes down to it.... they want a good deal.

If you search the vaults on this site, you can find a thread where this subject came up and I vented a bit, because the anonymity of this site allowed me to... but in reality, I have learned to enjoy these negotiations. In fact I have come to prefer them to the nice polite Texan who asks for a price and then comes up with some excuse (can we say 'lie"?) "I have to go pick up my kids.... the cable man is coming... " and then find out they politely took your price and went down the road to the competitor and had them beat it by $100.

At least when an Asian customer comes in, they are ready to buy if you can reach an agreement. Rarely are they tire kickers. And within that group, they are the same as any other group. You get your grateful customers that are a joy to work with (after the haggling is done, lol) and you get your jerks who are nasty and cannot be pleased and look down on you with derision. Those qualities are equal opportunity for all races, colors and creeds.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:55 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,959,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentakash View Post
Really? I thought these were hot areas?

Rakin, I've noticed your negatively slanted or outright slam posts to Indians.

I wonder how you treat your indian buyers, I hope it is not the way your posts read!
What did he say that was so wrong?

Old 06-23-2014, 07:12 AM

395 posts, read 410,101 times
oh boy! this post too seems to be going down a rabbit hole. It will be another pissing contest and no one is going to give up on his or her point because they are formed due to some experiences. Hope everyone here agrees to disagree and help the OP instead :-)

Old 06-23-2014, 07:47 AM

24,576 posts, read 34,311,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwsavemoney View Post
oh boy! this post too seems to be going down a rabbit hole. It will be another pissing contest and no one is going to give up on his or her point because they are formed due to some experiences. Hope everyone here agrees to disagree and help the OP instead :-)
The OP's question was answered repeatedly, and the consensus is that there are tons of Indians here. Tons.

I don't think the thread's going down a rabbit hole at all. People are sharing their experiences honestly and respectfully. I don't think it's racist to report negative experiences with people of certain cultural backgrounds or national origins. It only highlights something that we all know to be true, and that is that people from anywhere and of any skin color can be racist or bigoted. It isn't just white people who have that "privilege."

I don't know why people are so afraid of the truth.

At my last job, an Indian national told me to my face that he felt educational standards in the US were so low that he worried about his future children being clever enough to compete in the US job market. He claimed that while studying for his master's degree from a US university (his degree is from a diploma mill...I checked), he covered material that he had studied in India as an adolescent. I didn't believe that. This is someone whose grasp of the English language could charitably be described as "tenuous" and whose work was not his own; it was cobbled together with pieces he had found on the internet. If you plugged in entire chunks of his code into Google, you could easily find the blogs he stole it from. Now, lots of developers do "borrow" and "share" code, but if we take an entire module from the internet we usually give CREDIT to the person who wrote it. This was not the case here; in fact, the comments/headers from the original author had been deliberately removed. Not cool.

So basically, he thought we were a bunch of idiots...yet he "earned" his paycheck by stealing code from American developers and passing it off as his own.

So, tell me...am I bigoted for sharing that true story?

Old 06-23-2014, 09:41 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,959,031 times
Here is another thing were overlooking. Largely, it depends on the part of India the people in question come from. In my experience (and these are HUGE generalizations, but to me theyve been about 60-70% accurate):

Punjabis: They make the best friends. They will give you the shirt off their back and are loyal to a fault. However, they have a habit of getting drunk at every chance and when they drink they drink hard and fight on occasion. They also tend to be very prideful and wear their emotions on their sleves.

Gujaratis: These are the business owners (hotels, stores, etc.). Money is, more times than not, the topic of conversation. They like to talk about what theyve invested in. However, they value their good employees with everything they have. My wife works for a Gujarati and he fights like hades for my wife at every turn. I have worked with lots as well and its been my experience.

Hyderabadis: They come across as the most laid back. Very easy to talk to and make good friends. They also seem to be the least judgemental. Most of the Hyderabadi Indians I know in the Dallas area are Muslim.

Bengalese: This one is hard. Of the Bengalese I know, one is a doctoral student whose intellect is unreal, one is a womanizer to the nth degree, one is airline consultant thats very laid back, and one is school teacher but criticizes any and all things non-Indian. I cant put my finger on them so I wont try.

Kerala: People from Kerala are the most closed minded of all Indians Ive delt with (especially Christians from Kerala). They tend to only want to be with their own and Ive heard tales of the Christian Indian churches kicking people out of church if they arent dressed nicely. Every single person I know from Kerala only allows their kids to hang out with other people from Kerala. They themselves can work with other people, but express little interst in hang out with others.

Bangalore: These are most of your tech workers. In my experience most are nice outside of work, but difficult inside of work.

I know Ill get flamed for this post, but considering I spend almost all my time with Indians, Ive learned a thing or two.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:28 AM

395 posts, read 410,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The OP's question was answered repeatedly, and the consensus is that there are tons of Indians here. Tons.

I don't think the thread's going down a rabbit hole at all. People are sharing their experiences honestly and respectfully. I don't think it's racist to report negative experiences with people of certain cultural backgrounds or national origins. It only highlights something that we all know to be true, and that is that people from anywhere and of any skin color can be racist or bigoted. It isn't just white people who have that "privilege."

I don't know why people are so afraid of the truth.

At my last job, an Indian national told me to my face that he felt educational standards in the US were so low that he worried about his future children being clever enough to compete in the US job market. He claimed that while studying for his master's degree from a US university (his degree is from a diploma mill...I checked), he covered material that he had studied in India as an adolescent. I didn't believe that. This is someone whose grasp of the English language could charitably be described as "tenuous" and whose work was not his own; it was cobbled together with pieces he had found on the internet. If you plugged in entire chunks of his code into Google, you could easily find the blogs he stole it from. Now, lots of developers do "borrow" and "share" code, but if we take an entire module from the internet we usually give CREDIT to the person who wrote it. This was not the case here; in fact, the comments/headers from the original author had been deliberately removed. Not cool.

So basically, he thought we were a bunch of idiots...yet he "earned" his paycheck by stealing code from American developers and passing it off as his own.

So, tell me...am I bigoted for sharing that true story?
I never mentioned that anyone was being disrespectful or dishonest. I just merely suggested to not use threads like these to go down such rabbit holes - and yes this IS how a rabbit hole in a conversation is defined. A new thread can be opened up for such conversations. Not only will it invite more people in to join the debate but it will also be better for searching and archiving. I am all in for a healthy debate!

Old 06-23-2014, 10:51 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,688,100 times
Thread CLOSED. This thread has frequently gotten derailed. Some thread rules:

1) No discussion of nationalities or ethnic stereotypes
2) Even if you think a poster is acting dumb, do not attack or mock another poster. Move on and ignore. You can argue on related topics, but not with each other.
3) No foul language

Violation of the rules will get your post deleted, may lead to an infraction and will get future threads closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or