Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 06:11 PM

30 posts, read 42,306 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to convince my friend, who is Indian, to relocate with her family when my family does. She was looking at the racial breakdowns of Frisco/McKinney/Allen/etc. to see if she would have other families like hers there. She said that the Asian category might include Indians but she wasn't sure if by Asian it meant Japanese/Chinese/etc. only or if it also included people from India. From the talk around here it seems like she would be welcome in the Dallas area but since I've only been to the area once I can't answer her question. What do you guys who live there know about that? Thank you.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:43 PM

531 posts, read 638,966 times
When used in a conversation Asians generally mean East Asians. But if you are looking at an official racial breakdown though, it will include Indians too. Dallas has a very significant Indian population, probably 5th or 6th highest in the country.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:22 PM

30 posts, read 42,306 times
Okay thank you for clearing that up. Is there any specific city that she would find a larger population of Indian people in? This isn't a requirement for her, I think she just wants to make sure her kids will be around people of her culture too.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:24 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,563,535 times
Includes Indians. They have an ever-growing presence. That presence which has brought places like Coconut Express makes this gringo smile.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:47 PM

249 posts, read 329,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyday1001 View Post
Okay thank you for clearing that up. Is there any specific city that she would find a larger population of Indian people in? This isn't a requirement for her, I think she just wants to make sure her kids will be around people of her culture too.
Just do a search here for threads on Richwood and Castle Hills North and I am sure there's plenty of new Indian communities bursting all over the metroplex. We are talking about communities with overwhelming majority (~70%) that is her race. So if true "Diversity" is what she want, she won't get it in those neighborhoods. It may not be great investment on the house but her kids won't be able to get away from people of her culture even if she tries.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:41 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,186,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyday1001 View Post
They're...um...everywhere. Seriously. I don't go a single day without running into many Indians unless I simply don't leave the house at all.

You're more likely to find them in areas with brand-spanking-new construction. They seem to strongly prefer houses that nobody else has ever lived in before.

Plano, Frisco, and Valley Ranch are the hotspots. Richardson has a lot too, but they are mainly students or older people, not people with young children. There are some, yes, but it's definitely a more demographically diverse population than the other areas which seem to be mainly families with kids at home or single males. Very few single females that I've seen. The single females around here seem to all be students at UTD.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:03 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,211,046 times
Lots & lots of Indians in Dallas. I even know a few who split time between Dallas and India.

My friends who are Indian live in Frisco (mixed-race married couple with young children), Uptown (single professionals), and even University Park (US CEO of an Indian company). I know there are thousands of other Indians living in Coppell, Castle Hills, Richardson, and all over Collin County.

Your friend has nothing to worry about relocating her family to Dallas and can choose from communities that range from majority-Indian to ones where Indians are one of many different races & cultures represented.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:41 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,665,542 times
Dallas has the 6th largest Indian population in the US. Its larger than Houston, Boston, Seattle, Atlanta, and soon to be Los Angeles. Seriously, its like an Indian bomb went off here. I live in Russell Creek in Plano and almost all of my neighbors are Indian. In places like Central/North Plano and Valley Ranch/South Coppell they are literally the majority in some places.

You're friend has zero to worry about.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:16 AM

140 posts, read 231,947 times
It includes Indians and, in fact, I would say they are the largest component of the "Asian" category in the DFW area.

You will find plenty of Indians in any DFW suburb that has good schools. I would say Indians and Pakistanis comprise 15-20% of the population at my kids' school and only 2-7% are other Asians.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:30 PM

11 posts, read 15,484 times
I've noticed that first generation Indian Americans have this tendency to follow the trend in community like herds. If one subdivision is popular then every one wants to buy in that one.

They are obsessed with new construction. You wouldn't find many in established and desirable neighborhoods like Highland Park even though schools are awesome. Only well traveled, really wealthy or second generation Indians consider older homes or areas where they don't have a size able population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: