U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 04:17 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,085,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
As TC80 points out, it's actually a very challenging AP. A typical math/science type will find that the course does NOT play to their strengths. Lots of very intensive writing under time pressure, and hours and hours of reading each week. If you're playing GPA-boosting games, this one is dangerous to put in the mix. Best left to those with a sincere interest in the material.
In the Honors Track I was on over 20 years ago, you did not have a choice. Everyone had to take a hard history class from 9-12th grades. I recall that the STEM types found they could perform at a high level in the Liberal Arts classes once they focused on it. And the Liberal Arts types did the same in the hard math and science classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 06:40 PM

272 posts, read 755,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I took AP Psychology, it was the easiest AP course I took. AP Euro was one of the more difficult ones. AP Art History was the most difficult.
Yes -- even among students who have a natural inclination towards history, AP Art History has a reputation for being difficult. (The art component is actually one of the things that make Euro difficult as well.)

Old 06-22-2014, 06:53 PM

272 posts, read 755,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
In the Honors Track I was on over 20 years ago, you did not have a choice. Everyone had to take a hard history class from 9-12th grades. I recall that the STEM types found they could perform at a high level in the Liberal Arts classes once they focused on it. And the Liberal Arts types did the same in the hard math and science classes.
This is still pretty much the norm for students who want to end up at the top of their class at competitive high schools. If you want to be at the top of your class you don't get to declare yourself a "liberal arts" or "STEM type" as a freshman -- you need to be something of a Renaissance man or woman. However, the normal "hard" history class for a freshman is AP HUG or APWH plus a pre-AP level English and foreign language class as well as the most challenging math and science class available at the grade level. The norm for freshman year is not all of these plus AP Euro. (The students who excel in history typically don't double up until their junior or senior years -- and they still will be taking AP level math and science classes.)

Old 06-22-2014, 07:11 PM

24,576 posts, read 34,290,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS_Parent View Post
Yes -- even among students who have a natural inclination towards history, AP Art History has a reputation for being difficult. (The art component is actually one of the things that make Euro difficult as well.)
I still made a 3 on that test though with minimal study. I needed to post higher scores on other APs to get the credits I wanted at UT-Austin, so I focused my studying time on those. A 3 is all I needed on AP Art History.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:46 PM

11 posts, read 13,540 times
I found out that Lovejoy ISD doesn't offer it for 9th or 10th.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:29 PM

114 posts, read 107,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovejoytopia View Post
I found out that Lovejoy ISD doesn't offer it for 9th or 10th.
It isn't recommended for 9-10th, which supports what the other posters have written. Call the High School and ask if your child can take the class. I thought I saw somewhere where the deadline to change classes has been extended to July 25th.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:41 PM

6 posts, read 15,513 times
I wouldn't recommend it as a 9th grader. As a 10th grader, it would be fine. I took it as a 10th grader, many many years ago. It was a challenging class (lots of reading, essays, and projects), but in my opinion, the most interesting of the AP history classes. The AP test was difficult, but if you've taken another AP test during 9th grade, it will prepare you to get a 5 on the Euro test. It will be hard to get a 5 if your first AP class. It was my first, and I only got a 4 (because I didn't understand how to prepare for the test).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas