Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 05:03 PM

11 posts, read 15,502 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to take AP Euro in 9th grade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 05:42 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovejoytopia View Post
Ask the teacher.

I took AP European History as a 12th grader. I was a straight-A student in school and took nothing but AP courses my last year of school. AP European History at my school was not a slouch course and a 9th grader might find it quite challenging. Just putting that out there.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:29 PM

148 posts, read 307,431 times
Yes my brother took it in 9th grade back in the day.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:04 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,109 times
Depends on the district.

In Plano ISD, you're not supposed to be allowed to take it until 10th grade, but my kid personally knows someone who took it the year before last as a 9th grader at Williams. So it also depends on the relative force factors of the parents and the guidance counselors.

As TC80 points out, it's actually a very challenging AP. A typical math/science type will find that the course does NOT play to their strengths. Lots of very intensive writing under time pressure, and hours and hours of reading each week. If you're playing GPA-boosting games, this one is dangerous to put in the mix. Best left to those with a sincere interest in the material.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Depends on the district.

In Plano ISD, you're not supposed to be allowed to take it until 10th grade, but my kid personally knows someone who took it the year before last as a 9th grader at Williams. So it also depends on the relative force factors of the parents and the guidance counselors.

As TC80 points out, it's actually a very challenging AP. A typical math/science type will find that the course does NOT play to their strengths. Lots of very intensive writing under time pressure, and hours and hours of reading each week. If you're playing GPA-boosting games, this one is dangerous to put in the mix. Best left to those with a sincere interest in the material.
This. I took it over 20 years ago, but I wouldn't think it's gotten any easier since then. I made As in it, but it wasn't without effort! LOTS of writing, LOTS of reading, every test was an essay test, no open books, etc. I took the AP and made a 3, though I didn't really study for it either.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:31 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This. I took it over 20 years ago, but I wouldn't think it's gotten any easier since then. I made As in it, but it wasn't without effort! LOTS of writing, LOTS of reading, every test was an essay test, no open books, etc. I took the AP and made a 3, though I didn't really study for it either.
LOL - I just realized I credited the wrong poster for the post BigDGeek made.

But yeah, a left-brained person (which describes 90% of the people who would be angling to maximize GPA by taking multiple AP classes in 9th grade) will have to work very, very hard to maintain an A in that class, especially if they are a year or more younger than the rest of the students.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
LOL - I just realized I credited the wrong poster for the post BigDGeek made.

But yeah, a left-brained person (which describes 90% of the people who would be angling to maximize GPA by taking multiple AP classes in 9th grade) will have to work very, very hard to maintain an A in that class, especially if they are a year or more younger than the rest of the students.
Agreed. Calc was easier.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:41 AM

786 posts, read 1,221,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovejoytopia View Post
I took it at TCA as a Senior. Didn't do any test prep outside the normal class & made a 3. I will say the class is great preparation for any writing-intensive class in college.

I would be hesitant to take that on in 9th grade. I'd take AP World or AP US in 10th and then re-evaluate.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:06 AM

269 posts, read 863,150 times
If AP World is available, it is a better alternative for a student who doesn't have much experience with the History AP tests. My kids have experience with all the social science AP tests except human geography and psychology and their consensus is that in order of increasing difficulty, they would fall as follows: World, U.S. Government, Comparative Government (not really harder than U.S. Government, but builds on understanding of concepts learned in U.S. Government); Economics (either micro or macro -- good choices for students with a quantitative bent), U.S. History, and Euro. Human Geography and Psychology are supposedly easier than any of the rest of these. Human Geography has a fairly low pass rate, but that is because it is typically taken by freshman who don't have experience with AP test preparation.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS_Parent View Post
If AP World is available, it is a better alternative for a student who doesn't have much experience with the History AP tests. My kids have experience with all the social science AP tests except human geography and psychology and their consensus is that in order of increasing difficulty, they would fall as follows: World, U.S. Government, Comparative Government (not really harder than U.S. Government, but builds on understanding of concepts learned in U.S. Government); Economics (either micro or macro -- good choices for students with a quantitative bent), U.S. History, and Euro. Human Geography and Psychology are supposedly easier than any of the rest of these. Human Geography has a fairly low pass rate, but that is because it is typically taken by freshman who don't have experience with AP test preparation.
I took AP Psychology, it was the easiest AP course I took. AP Euro was one of the more difficult ones. AP Art History was the most difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas