Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2014, 09:49 PM

5 posts, read 8,184 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am planning to move from India to Texas . My office will be in irving .
I am looking for details about the housing option for single person in near by area and how much it will cost .
Preferably without lease option as i have travelling job , 1Bed+1Bath is enough for me .

Also i need some details about take home salary details , is 120K is good salary if incase in future i plan to bring with my family (Spouse + 2.5 yr old kid) .

Also any help how much initial cash i need to bring in order to sustain for first month as i will be getting my paycheck only after 15 days ..

Please suggest .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 07:03 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Hello,

When you say traveling job, do you mean a job where you are simply going to be traveling a lot. Or do you mean a job where you are moving to different cities?

120k is a salary for which you can live like a king in the Dallas area. You can afford a very nice life for your family here with that.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:08 AM

170 posts, read 262,303 times
Most of the apartments look for 6 to 12 months lease. But some of the apartments may start with 2 months lease. You can search in different sites like rent.com or apartmentsguide.com etc with your zip code and need to call them to check for leasing options. Apartments look for credit history and last 2 months paystubs. When I came 1st, I got the apartment and I didn't remember the documents that I submitted as its almost 10 years back. My suggestion is if you are not coming with your family, then go as roommate if some one is looking for one and later move to the apartment once u get the paystubs. Check in Sulekha/Irving or Dallas area. Check the ads in there and call them or reply to their ads to get more details like address to see the distance to your office and other details. If you go as roommate with indian's you don't have to join in the sub lease if they agree and that may solve your credit history issue. Initially you may need around 1500 to 2000$ if you are not travelling in those 15 days. You can convert indian currency to US currency at airport I guess. Good Luck.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:08 AM

8,145 posts, read 8,343,862 times
you can find nice extended stay hotels in Irving; in Las Colinas.
That would be a perfect place to stay initially because it would be furnished, have TV and internet, and even a breakfast included.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:17 PM

Thanks for your reply .

I mean for first 15 days , i will be getting a accommodation from my company , so w/o accomodation do i need 1500-2000$ ?

Peter ,
I meant from travelling job is , i might need to travel for 5-8 days / month . btw how much is cost of living will come mean the rent ( 1bed+1bath) + living expenses for an average and regular life style .

Old 06-22-2014, 12:47 PM

101 posts, read 170,794 times
Is your employer going to be providing you transportation? I would factor that into your budget, as public transportation is either expensive (Taxis), non-existant, or highly time consuming.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:43 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
Your income will pleasantly support a family of 5 almost anywhere in the area except Highland Park and University Park (known as The Park Cities) as the real estate there is soooo expensive. You will need a car, or two if your wife drives, as this is an area not set up for public transportation. There are some areas where you can take a bus or tram to work (DART, Dallas Area Rapid Transport) but for the most part, a car is necessary. If your wife will be home all day with the kids, it is better for her to take driving lessons and get a car, if she doesn't already drive.

Two years ago we had a poster from India who thought the summer heat would not bother him (after all, India is hot) and he could walk to the grocery. He quickly took driving lessons and bought a car.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:47 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,746,723 times
I assume by cash you mean a bank account in India that you can transfer funds from to the US bank?

I would not have more that $5K in actual cash on you.

As for your question, I would bring two months rent plus $1000 for other costs and plan to have a vehicle to drive. Or live right by work.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:08 PM

Thanks All , for useful info .

Old 06-24-2014, 10:00 AM

96 posts, read 127,512 times
If you are indian check this link also. very helpful indusladies.com and
Indians in Texas- IndusLadies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas