Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 08:10 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,460,531 times

Advertisements

One of my fondest memories growing up was when my Dad would take me on Indian Guide trips as a kid. I'm looking to start making the same types of memories with my boys this fall(just one of them currently) and wanted some opinions. We will sign up for Adventure Guides(formerly Indian Guides) when my son is old enough(he's only 2), but for now I'm just looking to do a farther and son weekend trip. I'm looking for some place we can build a little camp fire, maybe fish standing on the shore but also not an RV type camping site. I want to be able to be out there all weekend and do a little exploring without seeing people every 10 minutes. I will have a tent, so no cabin will be needed. I'm willing to travel up to 3 -4 hours from Dallas in any direction, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 08:21 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
One of my fondest memories growing up was when my Dad would take me on Indian Guide trips as a kid. I'm looking to start making the same types of memories with my boys this fall(just one of them currently) and wanted some opinions. We will sign up for Adventure Guides(formerly Indian Guides) when my son is old enough(he's only 2), but for now I'm just looking to do a farther and son weekend trip. I'm looking for some place we can build a little camp fire, maybe fish standing on the shore but also not an RV type camping site. I want to be able to be out there all weekend and do a little exploring without seeing people every 10 minutes. I will have a tent, so no cabin will be needed. I'm willing to travel up to 3 -4 hours from Dallas in any direction, thanks!
Your son is only 2, so why the need to not see people? Do you want to be strapped in a car seat for hours to get to a camp site where everything is strange? What a way to start the trip off badly.

What is wrong with starting off in a nearby state or corp of engineer park with picnic tables and toilets? It is still camping, but less scary for a toddler.

You sound desperate for wanting to go off grid with a two year old. Relax and enjoy the time, not the macho-ness of it all.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Your son is only 2, so why the need to not see people? Do you want to be strapped in a car seat for hours to get to a camp site where everything is strange? What a way to start the trip off badly.

What is wrong with starting off in a nearby state or corp of engineer park with picnic tables and toilets? It is still camping, but less scary for a toddler.

You sound desperate for wanting to go off grid with a two year old. Relax and enjoy the time, not the macho-ness of it all.
We've taken multiple 3+ hours road trips with our toddler and have never had any issues. It has nothing to do with the "macho-ness"...man some people on this site sure do judge a whole bunch without knowing a single thing. I'm not looking to be in the wild miles from anyone, I just don't want to be woken up to people "next door" making a bunch of noise, starting up their RV, staying up late and partying, etc. I don't know how a picnic table is going to make him more relaxed, he hardly uses the one at home, lol.

If anyone has any advice on places, please post them up!

Last edited by bencronin04; 06-23-2014 at 08:57 AM..

Old 06-23-2014, 09:12 AM

On a side note, I'd really like to get my son used to outdoor adventures a few times when he is still young and open to just about anything we throw at him, before we go on a trip with 10 other kids and dads. It won't be a brand new scary experience to him then, and his calm demeanor may even help the other children who may not have been away from their house and mom for an entire weekend.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post

I feel bad for your kids if this is how you treated them. Since my son was born, my wife and I have taken our son to VT, NH, Upstate NY, Alabama, VA, and this year Maine. Longest trip 15 hours, the rest no shorter then 6 hours. Whats wrong with doing that? Why would a toddler he scared of nature? My son has hiked with my wife and I, Mount Washington, Mount Mansfield, and hes keep snowshoeing with us as well. We handle him very well, and he never once cries or complains about anything. HE love the outdoors. If you need picinic tables and bathrooms, maybe you should stay home with your wife. Im pretty sure His son isnt going to be the slightest upset for sleeping in a tent, or peeing in the woods, and whatever else he decides to do. Dont listen to this person.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:12 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwrxCNJ View Post
I feel bad for your kids if this is how you treated them. Since my son was born, my wife and I have taken our son to VT, NH, Upstate NY, Alabama, VA, and this year Maine. Longest trip 15 hours, the rest no shorter then 6 hours. Whats wrong with doing that? Why would a toddler he scared of nature? My son has hiked with my wife and I, Mount Washington, Mount Mansfield, and hes keep snowshoeing with us as well. We handle him very well, and he never once cries or complains about anything. HE love the outdoors. If you need picinic tables and bathrooms, maybe you should stay home with your wife. Im pretty sure His son isnt going to be the slightest upset for sleeping in a tent, or peeing in the woods, and whatever else he decides to do. Dont listen to this person.
Nope. We have done road trips with little ones, but know that a car seat is not built for comfort. Why take a 4 hour trip just to remote camp with a toddler? Does the remoteness really matter to a two year old? Why take eight hours from your trip just to drive? That time could be spent fishing or hiking or watching a spider build a web.

We camp. Camped with little ones too. But, we did park camping, in a tent, for a few times before we did remote camping. Things went more smoothly because we had experience camping before really roughing it. I've camped in the dessert with a preschooler; no toilets, no people, lots of sand and rock and cacti.

IMHO, it is easier when you have practiced when the environment isn't so extreme. If the OP is asking for remote camping spots, that says that the OP hasn't been camping in awhile. Camping with a toddler is different than camping without a toddler. Just the nature of toddlers.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:19 AM

I think you're confused. I'm not asking for somewhere not accessible by car, that we have to hike miles to get to(we're not in the pacific northwest). I'm looking, as I stated in my title, for something fairly remote. Maybe a FEW bathrooms around, but not cabins, rv hook ups, grills, etc. etc. I actually found something in Oklahoma just now that looks to be what I'm looking for. Something like area 3 here: Camping

*It's also not just a trip for the toddler. I have a feeling I'll get just as much out of this as he will, if not more. It's for the both of us. I could sit in my backyard and build a fire, watch spiders build a web, fish at the park down the street(or the lake house) etc. etc. I'm not looking for that.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:44 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,533,977 times
As a person who has spent time in the state parks of TX, I totally get what you mean! You want a little peace and quiet and don't want partying rednecks playing loud music next to your campsite. I think it's a lovely idea and you and your son will have a great time. I wonder if Glen Rose would work at an off season time (fewer crowds) and the dinosaur stuff might be fun? Not a bad drive fm Dallas but close enough to keep the car time down.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
As a person who has spent time in the state parks of TX, I totally get what you mean! You want a little peace and quiet and don't want partying rednecks playing loud music next to your campsite. I think it's a lovely idea and you and your son will have a great time. I wonder if Glen Rose would work at an off season time (fewer crowds) and the dinosaur stuff might be fun? Not a bad drive fm Dallas but close enough to keep the car time down.

PERFECT! I'm glad someone gets it. I'll have to look into Glen Rose, thank you for the suggestion.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:55 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,109 times
We camped at this place a couple of times back when my kid was not much older than yours. I can't testify to it today, but back in the day, it was VERY lightly trafficked, because you have to walk to most of the campsites. Run by the Army Corps of Engineers, it is nothing like a typical TX State Park Campground. Right on the lake, as well.

Ticks all your boxes - fire pit, fishing, hiking, not many people.

Best part? It is right here *IN* the DFW area. So if the camping weekend goes south, you can be back home in 30-45 minutes.

Murrell Park Campgrounds | Lake Grapevine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas