U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 10:36 AM

22 posts, read 27,884 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me with this.

I am originally from the Phoenix area but am now living in Raleigh, NC. However, I am hoping to relocate/transfer out to Dallas sometime next year or so and am thinking of purchasing a home. Looking around, I noticed the dominant housing style in the area is midwestern? I am looking for more Spanish/southwestern style homes, something similar to what I'm use to in Arizona.

I understand that there is a suburb called Las Colinas, However, homes there tend to be a bit pricy. I am curious if there are any other similar subdivisions to that one or older ones for that matter. Looking somewhere in the 200 - 350K range if that helps.

Last edited by joefromaz; 06-23-2014 at 11:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 01:50 PM

567 posts, read 814,720 times
They exist but they are relatively less common than other styles, as you noticed. I don't know if Las Colinas is better or worse than anywhere else for that style. Some of the local real estate sites will let you search by style.

422 Coombs Creek Dr, Dallas, TX 75211 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

3317 Park Ridge Blvd, Fort Worth, TX 76109 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

631 Fiesta Cir, Irving, TX 75063 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

4236 Lorraine Ave, Highland Park, TX 75205 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

1322 Fanning St, Southlake, TX 76092 - New Home for Sale - realtor.com®

10620 Strait Ln, Dallas, TX 75229 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Old 06-23-2014, 02:03 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,699,012 times
LOL @ posting the houses in HP, SouthLake and on Straight Lane.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:19 PM

22 posts, read 27,884 times
Walter Benjamin, thank you for your suggestions! LOL, the last three listings are definitely out my price range but they are really beautiful! I'm guessing that southwestern style homes are not as popular in the Metroplex. I'm pretty open to all styles really, but I just thought I'd give it a shot.

Just out of curiosity but how is the commute from, let's say the Las Colinas area, to Richardson? I've also noticed the large amount of tollways in the area. Are those worth purchasing passes for? Again, having lived in the western US, I am accustomed to avoiding tolls as often as possible.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:36 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,913,059 times
The toll roads are worth it to me. You buy a toll tag at one of the NTTA'S stores then add $$ electronically as needed.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:16 PM

1,789 posts, read 2,086,016 times
Toll tag is a necessity.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:01 PM

12,202 posts, read 23,119,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromaz View Post
Walter Benjamin, thank you for your suggestions! LOL, the last three listings are definitely out my price range but they are really beautiful! I'm guessing that southwestern style homes are not as popular in the Metroplex. I'm pretty open to all styles really, but I just thought I'd give it a shot.

Just out of curiosity but how is the commute from, let's say the Las Colinas area, to Richardson? I've also noticed the large amount of tollways in the area. Are those worth purchasing passes for? Again, having lived in the western US, I am accustomed to avoiding tolls as often as possible.
Tolltags are a necessity; plus you get a discounted rate when you have one vs the toll operators billing you.

I would not consider Las Colinas to Richardson to be an "easy" commute; much of it will be on 635 which is in the middle of a 5 year construction project between I-35 and US75, plus it's becoming a partial Tollroad! There actually are some contemporary southwestern style homes in Richardson that were built in the 1970's that should be in your price range. I love Southwest/ Mediterranean style homes. There are some gorgeous new custom homes in town as well as some awesome ones from the 1920-1930's in East Dallas but they are all several times your budget....the new home buyers in Dallas really love the "faux chateau" look, unfortunately!

Old 06-23-2014, 06:50 PM

10,113 posts, read 21,346,900 times
One bad feature of the southwest style home is a flat roof. In the real desert southwest, that's not a problem, but in north Texas, where we often get heavy rains, that is not a good thing. Even a properly maintained flat roof is a potential collapse risk here, and it's tough to find a roofer that really knows how to maintain them. I had a friend who lived in a flat roof apartment here, and the roof did fall in during a heavy rain.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:42 PM

12,202 posts, read 23,119,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
One bad feature of the southwest style home is a flat roof. In the real desert southwest, that's not a problem, but in north Texas, where we often get heavy rains, that is not a good thing. Even a properly maintained flat roof is a potential collapse risk here, and it's tough to find a roofer that really knows how to maintain them. I had a friend who lived in a flat roof apartment here, and the roof did fall in during a heavy rain.
Huh? You're thinking Santa Fe style adobes. Spanish style homes don't had flat roofs; they typically have tile roofs. The pics in the links above are good examples of Spanish style architecture.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:49 PM

10,113 posts, read 21,346,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Huh? You're thinking Santa Fe style adobes. Spanish style homes don't had flat roofs; they typically have tile roofs. The pics in the links above are good examples of Spanish style architecture.
My bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or