U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2014, 09:11 AM

71 posts, read 65,086 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a suggestion here on a person who could do just a simple furniture consult for our son who recently purchased a home in Irving. He is single, in his 30s and can't seem to commit to any new furniture for his nice house. He is paralyzed by all the choices. Goes looking a LOT but never buys anything. As a house warming gift I'd like to purchase a consult with a really sane, sensible person who knows the furniture choices in the area and could get him to buy something and get rid of what we handed down to him. He is absolutely only interested in middle of the road type prices and styles, so honestly lots of interior decorators are just not going to work for him. He is not fancy but somehow bafflingly selective. He only needs a few basic pieces. Any ideas?….I've suggested the store based planners who don't charge but somehow since I don't know anyone in the area that hasn't worked plus then they are tied to their store. I am more looking for someone who knows the area that would take him on an efficient shopping trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 09:31 AM

24,576 posts, read 34,261,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzmom View Post
I am looking for a suggestion here on a person who could do just a simple furniture consult for our son who recently purchased a home in Irving. He is single, in his 30s and can't seem to commit to any new furniture for his nice house. He is paralyzed by all the choices. Goes looking a LOT but never buys anything. As a house warming gift I'd like to purchase a consult with a really sane, sensible person who knows the furniture choices in the area and could get him to buy something and get rid of what we handed down to him. He is absolutely only interested in middle of the road type prices and styles, so honestly lots of interior decorators are just not going to work for him. He is not fancy but somehow bafflingly selective. He only needs a few basic pieces. Any ideas?….I've suggested the store based planners who don't charge but somehow since I don't know anyone in the area that hasn't worked plus then they are tied to their store. I am more looking for someone who knows the area that would take him on an efficient shopping trip.

Are you sure it's the number of choices that's baffling him? Could it be price?

If he's stuck on style, one thing that might help him is Pinterest. There's a TON of pins out there on interior decorating; have him start a board with what appeals to him. Then he can take his smartphone or iPad or whatever with him to a store and have it to refer to as he browses. That might help.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:43 PM

705 posts, read 883,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzmom View Post
I know you said you're reluctant to do the store's in-house decorators, but I can honestly say I've had a great experience with the decorators at Ethan Allen. They were extremely helpful picking out the right fabrics & pieces that coordinate well together. When the decorator came to our house, she advised on what to buy to compliment what we already have & made suggestions for re-configuring existing furniture, etc to balance the space.

Just a thought if you haven't tried them yet! I know a lot of stores offer this, but perhaps some are better than others?

Old 06-24-2014, 01:36 PM

24,576 posts, read 34,261,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
I know you said you're reluctant to do the store's in-house decorators, but I can honestly say I've had a great experience with the decorators at Ethan Allen. They were extremely helpful picking out the right fabrics & pieces that coordinate well together. When the decorator came to our house, she advised on what to buy to compliment what we already have & made suggestions for re-configuring existing furniture, etc to balance the space.

Just a thought if you haven't tried them yet! I know a lot of stores offer this, but perhaps some are better than others?
Ethan Allen is pretty pricey though; you might be able to get a simple consultation from an independent designer and furniture from much less expensive places and save some money.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:39 PM

99 posts, read 118,383 times
Ethan Allen is a great option, it is great furniture. I've always found them to be expensive for living room furniture, but of good value for bedroom & dining furniture.

Another good option at a slightly lower price point is Bassett. The quality is slightly less than Ethan Allen, but still very good. I think they have some of the best designs, their furniture tends to be more "comfortable contemporary" in style. Also, if you are buying a good amount of furniture they will discount/negotiate.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:34 PM

6,207 posts, read 4,991,328 times
I live in Irving and know some people. What's his budget? How many rooms?

Old 06-24-2014, 04:47 PM

35,397 posts, read 38,812,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTexasBound View Post
Another good option at a slightly lower price point is Bassett. .
Agree about Bassett. Have him talk to their consultants and shop the 25-30% off sales they do on regular basis.

I've bought a lot in the "Back room" which is their close out pieces.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:44 PM

71 posts, read 65,086 times
Really to get started I think he just wants to start with seating for the two living areas, couches/love seats and chairs. The layout is a little challenging so someone would need to make a home visit, take measurements and then help him decide on a few pieces to get first. He is only going to want very casual things. He has money to shop at Ethan Allen and Bassett. Now if he part with it, we will see. I really think if someone can get him started he wants to do it. He just says I can't find anything I like. He has done great finding houses with a realtor so that made me think maybe this would be a good gift. If you have names of people you think would be good to work with a young, single guy send me a private message with contact info and I will contact them. I'd like to talk to them and come up with some options for services. I really think if he can just get a few pieces then he will do more but those are where I think he wants to start. I don't want it to be a situation where the fee is dependent on what he buys since he seems commitment shy, I would want to pay up front by the hour.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:52 PM

12,204 posts, read 23,126,077 times
You mentioned he has a realtor....ask that person for decorator references. Not all interior decorators are high dollar or only work with designer showrooms. Most good ones can take a budget - whether it's $3,500 or $35,00 - and meet their clients needs.

Another suggestion for Pottery Barn, crate + barrel, or Ethan Allen's consultants. They will do free home visits and generally have good taste.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:28 PM

6,207 posts, read 4,991,328 times
Lots of realtors know home stagers, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or