Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2014, 02:00 PM

101 posts, read 170,766 times

Advertisements

First off - Thank you to all the regular posters (BigDGeek, DallasRonnie, etc..) which add a tremendous amount of value to the forum.

Planning a relocation to DFW in the coming months and will be working in North Dallas (Highway 75 & 635 interchange). We've made several house hunting trips and have found that the Twin Creeks area of Allen really fits the bill. We were hoping to find something in Plano, but with inventory being tight we haven't found anything that meets our standards in our price point. Good homes seems to move too fast for us, and the ones sitting on the market are there for a reason. Other areas (Lakewood, M-Streets, Richardson) are nice, but don't really seem to fit our lifestyle.

Where we live now I have a 30 minute commute (20 miles) and I am not opposed to time in the car (my time to listen to sports radio!) in exchange for a neighborhood/lifestyle I can enjoy. I also have a flexible work schedule, so I can make some adjustments around that (within reason).

So what am I really signing up for regarding commute from the Twin Creeks (Far West) Allen. Is driving down Coit or Custer (and avoiding the highways) an option? I'm prepared for 45 minutes each way, leaving at 6:30 AM and 4:30 PM.

Any advice on Twin Creeks?

Again thanks all - this forum has been great for doing research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 02:09 PM

168 posts, read 274,415 times
I leave that area, (corner of Alma and Exchange) at 6:45 -6:50 and make it all the way downtown in approximately 45 minutes usually. You could easily leave at 6:30 and get to 75/635 in less than 30 minutes on 75. I would think Coit or Custer would be slower due to all the traffic lights, plus they are both further west than 75.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:21 PM

262 posts, read 468,581 times
I am not sure if you know but construction on US 75 (Both North and South bound between McDermott & Spring Creek Pkwy) has recently begun and will last for a few years. I would add an extra 10 mins to the commute both ways....But yeah, I would estimate the commute to be in 30-45 mins range.....

Old 06-24-2014, 02:32 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTexasBound View Post
First off - Thank you to all the regular posters (BigDGeek, DallasRonnie, etc..) which add a tremendous amount of value to the forum.

Planning a relocation to DFW in the coming months and will be working in North Dallas (Highway 75 & 635 interchange). We've made several house hunting trips and have found that the Twin Creeks area of Allen really fits the bill. We were hoping to find something in Plano, but with inventory being tight we haven't found anything that meets our standards in our price point. Good homes seems to move too fast for us, and the ones sitting on the market are there for a reason. Other areas (Lakewood, M-Streets, Richardson) are nice, but don't really seem to fit our lifestyle.

Where we live now I have a 30 minute commute (20 miles) and I am not opposed to time in the car (my time to listen to sports radio!) in exchange for a neighborhood/lifestyle I can enjoy. I also have a flexible work schedule, so I can make some adjustments around that (within reason).

So what am I really signing up for regarding commute from the Twin Creeks (Far West) Allen. Is driving down Coit or Custer (and avoiding the highways) an option? I'm prepared for 45 minutes each way, leaving at 6:30 AM and 4:30 PM.

Any advice on Twin Creeks?

Again thanks all - this forum has been great for doing research.
Aww thank you; there are so many people here who give valuable information that I hardly feel qualified to be included among them.

I've never lived in Allen but I've known a lot of people who have or do.

I think 45 minutes is generous for that time of day. I'd be very surprised if it took you more than 30 minutes to get to the high five from Allen at 6:30AM. 45 minutes might be realistic for later in the morning, but I've noticed that traffic only comes to a standstill around the high five itself if you want to stay on 75 southbound.

Coming back north that time of day...I'd budget at least 30 minutes, probably more like 35-40. Maybe 45 on a crappy day. 5-6 years ago I was in a relationship with someone who owned a house in Allen that he was trying to sell, and we regularly went up there to work on it after work. We'd leave Richardson around 5pm and it never took more than 45 minutes to get there door to door, even in heavy traffic.

You shouldn't have to use Coit or Custer to get south at those times of the day. Would be slower IMHO.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:55 PM

168 posts, read 274,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseball123 View Post
I am not sure if you know but construction on US 75 (Both North and South bound between McDermott & Spring Creek Pkwy) has recently begun and will last for a few years. I would add an extra 10 mins to the commute both ways....But yeah, I would estimate the commute to be in 30-45 mins range.....

I just hope it doesn't turn into the mess that was (or is still, I don't go there) McKinney. So far, it hasn't really impacted much, but they are just starting it and all they've really done is put up the concrete barriers and reduced lanes on a few exits. I made the mistake of trying to drive 2 exits up 75 to McKinney a few times, and it was maddening. I may be commuting down on Alma if it gets that bad.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:29 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
We live in Twin Creeks and it takes hubby thirty to forty minutes at 7 a.m. And a bit over an hour home at 5:30. Welcome to the area!

Old 06-24-2014, 06:41 PM

718 posts, read 1,388,838 times
We are very close to Twin Creeks and the commute to 635/75 is never more than 45mn . Accidents at 5:30 as Veuvegirl mentioned will sometimes take you up to an hour. My husband does it in 30mn at 7:00 am . You will found out that actually many people working on that intersection do live in the Allen /Plano Mc Dermott area....my husband has so many colleagues that carpooling is done very easily if you would prefer. If your work in one of the big company that I won't name here , bus carpooling is also available at the Target on Mc Dermott.

Last edited by Souleiado; 06-24-2014 at 06:50 PM..

Old 06-24-2014, 06:54 PM

718 posts, read 1,388,838 times
You should also avoid entry on 75 at either Mc Dermott, and Legacy in the morning. Hubby enters it on Spring Creek or Parker and save few minutes that way.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:22 AM

419 posts, read 553,053 times
No advice on the commute as I go the opposite direction but we just recently purchased in Twin Creeks for the same reasons you expressed. So far it has been great. My kids aren't old enough to be in the public school but we found a fabulous private option for childcare as well as a few alternatives as back up. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask here or send a DM.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:06 PM

101 posts, read 170,766 times
Awesome - thanks all for the replies. I'm glad to hear the commute will be fairly reasonable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas