Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 01:34 PM

5,253 posts, read 6,358,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
they are and you don't get to deduct utilities on your tax return
You don't get to deduct apartment rent on your tax return either. This whole conversation makes no sense. If you are currently renting an apartment in CA for $2000 and the same sq footage apartment plus utilities only costs $1500 in Plano, then you are saving $500 a month. Also $300 a month for utilities is not correct. It will be high during the summer months (perhaps $300, perhaps much less depending on the person- I lived in the same Domaine complex and paid less. Wouldnt' recommend that particular complex), and much lower in the winter.

In some ways, CA is better (coastal CA i mean - I think Needles CA might be the worst place on earth) and in others Plano is better, I'm not sure I would consider utilities cost as a deciding factor for either place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 11:05 PM

153 posts, read 224,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meet_jasper View Post
Hi everyone,

I have heard very good things about Plano, TX. My company is not in Texas but they allowed me to work from home so I thought of moving to Plano, TX. Before moving, I want to make sure that it will be affordable to me. I have 90K salary. I do not want exact figures, just give me ballpark numbers so I can figure out my expenses. Please mention rent (2bhk), utilities and other expenses.

Thanks in advance.

Moderator cut: off topic

2) Would you rather be out of work in your present location or in a new location?

3) If you must find a new job in the Dallas metro area, are you prepared to sign up for the likelihood of having to commute in the legendary bad Dallas traffic? There are plenty of related threads on this site, so you might want to do some more research.

4) People boast about TX lack of income tax. However, the property tax is egregious and unfairly benefits corporations at the higher expense of the homeowner. Moreover, many neighborhoods require questionable HOA fees. Maybe you don't mind renting, but to some, it is a HUGE waste of money.

Your mileage may vary. Flame suit on.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 07-02-2014 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 07-02-2014, 08:19 AM

953 posts, read 1,823,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSiczpak View Post

4) People boast about TX lack of income tax. However, the property tax is egregious and unfairly benefits corporations at the higher expense of the homeowner. Moreover, many neighborhoods require questionable HOA fees. Maybe you don't mind renting, but to some, it is a HUGE waste of money.

I agree with most of your post but I have to put a perspective on this because everybody keeps talking about high property tax. Here is the deal - The same house that you buy in Plano is over 3 times in equivalent burbs in CA. So, yes, the property tax in CA may be half that of Plano but in absolute dollars you pay the same if not more in CA.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:40 AM

41 posts, read 83,062 times
Quote:
==============================

Thanks ! I have now cancelled my plans to move to plano. Many friends suggested me to move to Plano but seems like there are not so much benefits. It is really really costly for avg income. California is way better than Texas.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Wow! Now that's what I call a quick decision. Keeping it simple and quick...Going once, twice, gone!

Old 07-02-2014, 08:53 AM

419 posts, read 550,597 times
If you are comparing to California, you have to consider no income tax in TX. That's a 10% bonus right there, which on your salary more than covers the increase in utilities. Since you are renting, property tax isn't an issue. Gas is also quite a bit cheaper than in CA but since you work from home, that probably doesn't factor much. Do you have kids? What is your reason for choosing Plano?

Old 07-02-2014, 12:14 PM

12 posts, read 24,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
That was quick. Wouldn't you want to actually spend a week here before deciding? Also, did you know Plano (and all of Texas) does not have any state income tax? I don't know where you live in CA because rent will depend on that location. Plano's rent will be at least 40% or less of something in the bay area. Yes, we do have higher utility cost but it is not even close to the other cost of living that you incur there. Again, I don't know where exactly you live in CA...
============================

Hi frenzyrider, thanks for taking time to response. I do not live near bay area. I live in sacramento (capital of California) which is far cheaper than bay area and Texas ( considering plano, allen, richardson, frisco and forth worth). My rent is $900 for 2BHK ( 930 sq feet ). Water, Sewer and Trash charges are included. I pay electricity $60-$70 every month (sometimes less). Note this is a not some cheap type of apartment, it is very good apartment with gym, pool and close to school. I thought Plano might be similar or cheaper than Sacramento but I was wrong. I think lots of companies are moving there and that is why real estate is booming there. I can understand that but they have not enhanced existing apartments. I read reviews and most of the apartments have bed-bugs, roaches and other insect problems. Owners try to rip off their renters because they are good at it. After reviewing my budget and reading reviews from multiple websites about multiple apartments. I have decided not to move. I am sure Texas has very kind and magnanimous people and I wanted to be part of them but I think its not the right time for me.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSiczpak View Post
Moderator cut: off topic

2) Would you rather be out of work in your present location or in a new location?

3) If you must find a new job in the Dallas metro area, are you prepared to sign up for the likelihood of having to commute in the legendary bad Dallas traffic? There are plenty of related threads on this site, so you might want to do some more research.

Thanks joesiczpak, it was all about remote job and I liked it. I guess I will not have any problems working remotely. I have allergy issues and that is the main reason to get out of CA.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 07-02-2014 at 02:47 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 12:23 PM

262 posts, read 467,126 times
Quote:

Thanks joesiczpak, it was all about remote job and I liked it. I guess I will not have any problems working remotely. I have allergy issues and that is the main reason to get out of CA.
Dallas is not the right place to re-locate if you have allergies....

Old 07-02-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keribeth818 View Post
If you are comparing to California, you have to consider no income tax in TX. That's a 10% bonus right there, which on your salary more than covers the increase in utilities. Since you are renting, property tax isn't an issue. Gas is also quite a bit cheaper than in CA but since you work from home, that probably doesn't factor much. Do you have kids? What is your reason for choosing Plano?

@Keribeth, I do get allergies from tree pollens and Sacramento, CA has dry air which causes more problem. I do not have kids.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseball123 View Post
Dallas is not the right place to re-locate if you have allergies....
===================

Hi, I have tree pollen allergy which is due to lots of trees and dry air. I thought plano and dallas areas do not have that problem. do they ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas