Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 01:28 PM

141 posts, read 686,061 times

Advertisements

There is not enough housing in Dallas to support all the families that have moved to the burbs anyway. Most people want a decent house, nice neighborhood and good schools.
The decent houses in nice neighborhoods with good schools in Dallas are too expensive for young families. Therefore people move to the burbs and actually enjoy the peace and quiet, the safety and less traffic. People with families really aren't interested in living in affordable sub par neighborhoods in Dallas just to live in Dallas. Jobs are spread out in every direction anyway so you can be closer to work and live in a suburb. I enjoy going to Dallas to shop and to look at the fantastic christmas lights in some areas, but the traffic is a grind. Some suburbs are just as bad, great for shopping but traffic is a nightmare. I travel all around Dallas and the surrounding areas for my job and the one thing you can count on in Dallas is there will always be traffic, no matter the time or day.
I understand it is tough for people who grew up in Dallas years ago and see all the changes going on, all the new people who have moved in and changed Dallas. It has happened in every big city. My old hometown has gone through the same thing, on a smaller scale because it was a smaller city, but it looks completly different when I go for a visit now. The good thing is if you live and work in Dallas you don't even have to venture out to the burbs, you can just pretend were not here, we won't even be offended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 12:11 AM

990 posts, read 2,302,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowlett mom View Post
There is not enough housing in Dallas to support all the families that have moved to the burbs anyway. Most people want a decent house, nice neighborhood and good schools.
The decent houses in nice neighborhoods with good schools in Dallas are too expensive for young families. Therefore people move to the burbs and actually enjoy the peace and quiet, the safety and less traffic. People with families really aren't interested in living in affordable sub par neighborhoods in Dallas just to live in Dallas. Jobs are spread out in every direction anyway so you can be closer to work and live in a suburb. I enjoy going to Dallas to shop and to look at the fantastic christmas lights in some areas, but the traffic is a grind. Some suburbs are just as bad, great for shopping but traffic is a nightmare. I travel all around Dallas and the surrounding areas for my job and the one thing you can count on in Dallas is there will always be traffic, no matter the time or day.
I understand it is tough for people who grew up in Dallas years ago and see all the changes going on, all the new people who have moved in and changed Dallas. It has happened in every big city. My old hometown has gone through the same thing, on a smaller scale because it was a smaller city, but it looks completly different when I go for a visit now. The good thing is if you live and work in Dallas you don't even have to venture out to the burbs, you can just pretend were not here, we won't even be offended.
Do you ever wonder why this is? The fed made their bed with cities post depression and WWII.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:16 PM

875 posts, read 1,092,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbd723 View Post
Other great Dallas neighborhoods:

Forest Hills
Little Forest Hills
Bent Tree
Bluffview
Devonshire
Greenway Parks
Preston Highlands
Timberglen
Melshire Estates (WT White is another great high school)
Northwood Hills

Don't forget: Dallas' TAG (talented and gifted) HS was ranked #1 HS in the US last year (US News and World Report).
The subject is: Why the hositlity towards suburbanites, not neighborhoods in Dallas.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowlett mom View Post
You're totally right. Why people can't just accept that not everyone "wants" to live "in" Dallas without their obvious animosity is beyond me.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
Do you ever wonder why this is? The fed made their bed with cities post depression and WWII.
Does it really matter why it is? WWII was over 60 years ago, and the depression by far longer than that.

Dallas would grow whether transplants moved there or not, that's still no reason to be so demeaning towards suburbanites.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:14 AM

454 posts, read 1,338,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
What I find interesting is how even within some of the group of die-hard Dallasites, there's a snobbery about just what is Dallas. Nothing above Forest, nothing above 635, etc.
Oh honey! I get a nosebleed if I go north of Lovers. Good thing MFP doesn't have that problem!

Old 12-29-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
When I was in HS a lot of the people in my neighborhood were the original owners of the houses; they raised their families there in the 1950s-1970s and were dying off in the 1990s and early 2000s. Now the vultures are swooping in and wrecking the place.
Sounds like Highland Park.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
For 1950s areas I would suggest the areas just to the north and south of Mockingbird from Skillman to White Rock Lake (Lakewood Elementary) and on up Mockingbird to Peavy over to Lochwood (exemplary Hexter Elementary). Some of these are known as 'L-Streets'. As the west shore of the lake gets more and more expensive (you think they are 'overpriced' now, wait 7-10 years -- yikes) I expect the east side to take off...
Ridgewood Park is another good one.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:48 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SepiaZelda View Post
Sounds like Highland Park.
Eh...I'm not a Parkie.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Eh...I'm not a Parkie.
I grew up there but wouldn't live there now. It makes me sad to see the family oriented neighborhood that had excellent schools and protection turn into Stepfordland. Though, I am glad there are other races in the Park Cities, now. That's one change I can get behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas