Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 02:22 PM

23 posts, read 105,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guingirl View Post

One of the only things that I have found to be a downer as far as resale are Master bedrooms being upstairs (which is a standard in other states), poor schools or school districts and too few garages. Some people look at how the house is facing as a poor quality for resale, but we can't have all the houses with a North/South exposure .
See I'm the opposite (guess cause I'm not from Tx) because I don't understand the draw of having a master bedroom being on a different level from the other bedrooms. As the mother of a young child it just doesn seem practical or convenient. I always think what happens if there's a fire?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,692 times
Default Jack and Jill Baths

I recently built a new home with a Jack and Jill Bath upstairs for my two teenage daughters and they love it. There is another full bathrooms upstairs that is accessible to guests using the game room. However, the Jack and Jill bathroom is a little different and I was wondering how it would be classified (1-1/2 bath, 1-3/4 bath, etc). The dressing areas on each end have a vanity, commode and closet and the shared room in the middle has the shower/tub combo and linen closet. Can anyone help me with this?

Old 09-27-2008, 01:17 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
they count that as a bath and a half probably doing comps since there are two toilets but only one shower/tub between them...
you would come out ahead if they did that--
would have house with 3 or 4 full baths then 2 half baths--appraises higher if you count it that way probably...

we recently put constract on custom build home about 3 years old
there are two full baths downs stairs --master/guest only accessible from each bedroom --then a half bath for guests to use...

there are two beds up--one bed has ensuite bathroom and then there is hall bath available to gameroom users that has door into 2nd bedroom ...no toilet/vanity separated frm bath--just door into bedroom and closet is in bedroom not in that bath...
the ensuite has the closet available to the bath side not the bed side...

Old 09-28-2008, 07:43 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Most of my clientelle think of the JJ bath as prestigious and many don't like houses that don't have them. They don't want guests going into their kids' bathroom and when they JJ, they are private and not seen by guests. Granted the JJ only works well when there is another bath or 1/2 bath nearby for guests to use.

Also, I'm in agreement that once you hit around $175k price range, the master needs to be downstairs for resale purposes. I had a listing last year that was only 3 years old, 2800 sqft for ONLY $200k and we had 58 showings in 3 months, and not a single offer because people couldn't get over the master upstairs. The owners moved here from Cali and weren't told by their Realtor that people frowned upon master upstairs around here. They didn't know better as they didn't see many houses to compare to.

Do NOT get a JJ that not only has doors to each bedroom but also a door to the exterior for guests. Too many doors and too little privacy, and those do bad in resale.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:09 PM

468 posts, read 1,886,363 times
Default More Jack & Jill Baths

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavisg View Post
I recently built a new home with a Jack and Jill Bath upstairs for my two teenage daughters and they love it. There is another full bathrooms upstairs that is accessible to guests using the game room. However, the Jack and Jill bathroom is a little different and I was wondering how it would be classified (1-1/2 bath, 1-3/4 bath, etc). The dressing areas on each end have a vanity, commode and closet and the shared room in the middle has the shower/tub combo and linen closet. Can anyone help me with this?
The Jack & Jill Bath is counted as One Bath.
A bath with only a shower stall and no tub is counted as a 3/4 bath if it's not the Master Bath, such as a Cabana Pool Bath.
A "Powder Room" (toilet and lavatory only) is counted as a 1/2 bath, although it's really not a "bath" at all.
So you could have a home that's 3 and 3/4 and a 1/2 bath. How that would be listed on the MLS, I wouldn't know.

To clarify some other replies, A Jack in Jill Bath is a Bath that has a common tub and toilet area and two separate lavatory areas and the separate lavatory areas each open to a child's bedroom;
http://jmkarlo.com/photos/jjbath.gif (broken link)

A bath that has both lavatories in the same area and that area opens to two separate bedrooms and a area that has only the tub and toilet is often called a Hollywood Bath;

http://jmkarlo.com/photos/hollywoodbath.gif (broken link)

I hope this clears up any confusion.

If you're interested, I also have what I call a Jack & Jill & Bob bath.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:03 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
if you are doing new construction just make sure that the doors will function with someone actually sitting on the toilet

and it would be great if at least one ground floor bathroom has enough space to be used by someone in a walker or wheelchair just in case of future need

doors could open outward in j/j bath because of space requirements which means that a bedroom could have a tight space arrangement--check that
check cabinet heights as well--
the master bath in this house we bought has a vanity area that is too tall to actually sit at and see the mirror--does not bother me because I never use it but could be issue for resale and should have been caught during planning stage--
and check your line of sight for ANY bathroom--who can see in if the door is ajar--you might be surprised...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas