Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 02:34 PM

96 posts, read 203,865 times

Advertisements

For traditional Chinese, children are taught to be respectful of the elders and not to speak to strangers without introductions. Not sure of South East Indians as I have seen their kids run up to my dogs and start grabbing them without asking when I was walking my dogs in the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 12:03 PM

249 posts, read 330,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzy View Post
For traditional Chinese, children are taught to be respectful of the elders and not to speak to strangers without introductions. Not sure of South East Indians as I have seen their kids run up to my dogs and start grabbing them without asking when I was walking my dogs in the neighborhood.
Oh there's plenty of Chinese kids that does the same... with the way the current generation of chinese kids being raised by 6-to-1 adult to kid ratio, they are bound to be spoiled. It'll actually be news worthy if you see a japanese kid that grabs your dogs without asking.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:35 PM

4 posts, read 6,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUgradvb View Post
This is not about racism. This is about a family moving from an area where there was little to no Indian/Asian population. I'm trying to educate myself.
Ignore those who accuse you or racism - they are usually the the racists themselves and live in majority white areas. In light of all the recent attacks on whites you are well advised to consider your safety when you choose a place to invest in a house and raise children.
Your gut is telling you that your family is not safe in a majority non-white area. Although it is not usually a problem with the Indian/Asian people who are mostly mainstream and live-and-let-live, that doesn't mean they are going to accept you socially.
Better to buy where you feel confident and comfortable and where you feel the area is safe for your children - they are the ones you should be concerned about, not the liberal multi-culti crowd who go around calling everyone else racist from the safety of their gated community.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:47 PM

108 posts, read 307,577 times
JonDeaux nailed it. Listen to your instincts. Children need to feel a sense of belonging. If your community isn't doing that for you, there's no shame in finding a place where you're more accepted among people more like yourself.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:50 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rj82 View Post
Interesting thread. I dont know much about that area but Plano reminds me a lot of Irvine CA. For the most part master planned, middle to upper class, family friendly, good schools...........then foreigners found out. Before I moved from that area you could literally be in parts of the city and not hear English. A lot of asian communities came in and totally transformed the city. The city is still nice but white people now stick out like a sore thumb just like you mentioned before. Plano could be in the early stages of a Irvine CA transformation.
Plano reminds me of Irvine as well but your statement isn't accurate. As of last year's demographics, whites are still the majority in Irvine. 45.7% to 38.2% Asian. Im in Irvine a lot and I see tons of white people. They mostly hang out at The Marketplace and Chipotle

City of Irvine Website - Demographics Information

Old 07-28-2014, 12:52 PM

125 posts, read 191,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDeaux View Post
Ignore those who accuse you or racism - they are usually the the racists themselves and live in majority white areas. In light of all the recent attacks on whites you are well advised to consider your safety when you choose a place to invest in a house and raise children.
Your gut is telling you that your family is not safe in a majority non-white area. Although it is not usually a problem with the Indian/Asian people who are mostly mainstream and live-and-let-live, that doesn't mean they are going to accept you socially.
Better to buy where you feel confident and comfortable and where you feel the area is safe for your children - they are the ones you should be concerned about, not the liberal multi-culti crowd who go around calling everyone else racist from the safety of their gated community.
If you really wish to speak about the duality of gut instinct you should recognize the societal consequences of it. While it can be argued to be good in some varied instances it is capable of pure evil.

Paul Bloom: Can prejudice ever be a good thing? | Talk Video | TED.com

Old 07-28-2014, 01:10 PM

390 posts, read 824,435 times
I grew up in Plano, and there really has been a dramatic shift in demographics. People are just generally not comfortable with people outside of their own race/ethnicity.nationality comfort zone, so people tend to keep to themselves more. The result is that there is definitely much less of a sense of community in the neighborhoods I grew up in than there was 20 years ago. Most of my neighbors are foreigners, and I don't really talk to them because they don't speak English well, and they generally tend to ignore me even if I wave hello and smile. You can really see the difference during certain holidays like Halloween. In the neighborhood I grew up in in Plano 20 years ago, the streets were packed with kids, going to every house. I went to my old neighborhood last year during Halloween, and the streets were dark and deserted. No sense of community anymore. If you go to an area that has more a more homogeneous mixture of races and nationalities, there is typically more of a sense of community. In my wifes' parents' neighborhood in Frisco, where everyone is white, holidays like Halloween are always in full swing. I wish people just got along better, but what can you do?
When it comes to safety, however, I wouldn't worry about neighborhoods dominated with Asian populations - statistically, such neighborhoods tend to have less crime than all white neighborhoods. Most of my immediate neighbors are Asian or Middle Eastern foreigners, and neither my wife nor myself have ever not felt safe. I think when we have kids, we'd like to live in a neighborhood with a better sense of community, however.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:19 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,402,042 times
Quote:
I went to my old neighborhood last year during Halloween, and the streets were dark and deserted.
That has more to do with the age of the current residents (ie, a fair number of them had children 20 years ago, they don't now) than demographics or anything else. The children in Plano are shifting to the east and west sides with central residents generally older. My street is like that - many people who are 70-80 years old. In 10-15 years, the neighborhood is going to be much younger. Plano as a city is getting older.

Also walking the streets for Halloween is dying probably due to your standard perceptions about crime - hosted parties and 'trunk or treats' are much more popular now. Prestonwood Baptist in west plano has a huge one that is open to whomever wants to go, and offers much better 'candy bang for the buck' for the little ones than walking the neighborhood does.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:48 PM

390 posts, read 824,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
That has more to do with the age of the current residents (ie, a fair number of them had children 20 years ago, they don't now) than demographics or anything else. The children in Plano are shifting to the east and west sides with central residents generally older. My street is like that - many people who are 70-80 years old. In 10-15 years, the neighborhood is going to be much younger. Plano as a city is getting older.

Also walking the streets for Halloween is dying probably due to your standard perceptions about crime - hosted parties and 'trunk or treats' are much more popular now. Prestonwood Baptist in west plano has a huge one that is open to whomever wants to go, and offers much better 'candy bang for the buck' for the little ones than walking the neighborhood does.
You make two great points which are both true. However, if you look at neighborhoods that have a good sense of community, or in other words neighbors who know each other and socialize, you'll notice that things like Halloween tend to be celebrated more often. Halloween thrives in many neighborhoods in the area still, and most of those neighborhoods consist of mostly Americanized people who speak English well. It's pretty much dead in neighborhoods with high populations of foreigners.

Note that this is just an observation - I have nothing against foreigners, and welcome the skills and culture they bring to the metroplex.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:47 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,739,820 times
Last year was our first Halloween, I live in Allen, there were kids all over!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: