Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 09:07 PM

76 posts, read 92,643 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Dallas next month for SMU and looking for some suggestions as to where to live. I've done some apartment searching online but it would be nice to get feedback from people who know the area. The various buildings at The Village seem to be a popular choice so I have that as a back-up for now.

What I'm looking for is a studio, loft, or 1 bedroom, around $700-$900 per month (no more than $1000). Preferably some place with decent grocery stores/coffee shops/restaurants/etc nearby (walking distance). The Uptown area seems to be the most vibrant place but after a quick search it looks like there's nothing within my budget there.

I've heard that looking for a townhouse/duplex in the m streets is another way to go but how do I go about searching for these? Would I need to contact a local realtor?

Any suggestions/opinions would be appreciated.

Edit: Also, another question I've been meaning to ask, a lot of apartments don't list air conditioning as part of their amenities. Is that just because AC is so prevalent in Texas that it's a given or do these places really don't have AC?

Last edited by GiantCow; 07-15-2014 at 09:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 10:21 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,480,689 times
Every place has a/c! Don't worry. :-)
Have you looked at the lofts/apts at Mockingbird Station?
Or The Phoenix on Mockingbird?

Old 07-16-2014, 07:09 AM

792 posts, read 1,221,884 times
There are also private rentals in mostly older buildings near campus...on Haynie, Daniel, Dickens street. Many above your budget but I know on person who rents a place on the 3400 block of Haynie for less than $1k. You would have to drive around an look for street signs to find them or some could be listed on pad mapper. There are also some older buildings on Abbott and Travis just south of Knox that could be close to your range. Many privately owned condos. If you don't require upscale amenities of a large building these are great locations for walking to restaurants and shops, and much more.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:52 PM

551 posts, read 1,098,748 times
There are tons of complexes off University that are right across 75 from SMU. There is the Phoenix on Mockingbird by Mockingbird Station. You might want to check Craigslist or an apartment locator. There are also duplexes and rent home right off campus in UP.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:13 PM

786 posts, read 1,222,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantCow View Post
I'll be moving to Dallas next month for SMU and looking for some suggestions as to where to live. I've done some apartment searching online but it would be nice to get feedback from people who know the area. The various buildings at The Village seem to be a popular choice so I have that as a back-up for now.

What I'm looking for is a studio, loft, or 1 bedroom, around $700-$900 per month (no more than $1000). Preferably some place with decent grocery stores/coffee shops/restaurants/etc nearby (walking distance). The Uptown area seems to be the most vibrant place but after a quick search it looks like there's nothing within my budget there.

I've heard that looking for a townhouse/duplex in the m streets is another way to go but how do I go about searching for these? Would I need to contact a local realtor?

Any suggestions/opinions would be appreciated.

Edit: Also, another question I've been meaning to ask, a lot of apartments don't list air conditioning as part of their amenities. Is that just because AC is so prevalent in Texas that it's a given or do these places really don't have AC?
You might be able to find a garage apartment / backhouse in UP walking distance to SMU for that price range. That would allow you to walk to campus, as well as all the shops & restaurants in Snider Plaza & on Hillcrest.

I think even in an older building, you'd be hard-pressed to find something in UP city limits for under 1K. However, it'd be possible to find a 2-bedroom unit in UP for that price range if you split the cost with a roommate.

The Phoenix has REALLY gone downhill in the past 10 years. I know there was a murder in the parking garage at one point. It almost seems like the Village would be better than that option, but maybe it'd depend on the specific complex in the Village.

I'd look into a roommate or the garage apartment option in UP.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:33 PM

76 posts, read 92,643 times
It's a relief knowing every place has AC. Coming from SF, not really sure how I'd handle the heat.

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like Phoenix could be an option, not a fan of murders in garages though. Pad mapper is a helpful site, will take a closer look on there.

How walkable is the SMU/Uptown/Downtown areas of Dallas? Once summer's over can I walk/DART to most places without being a sweaty mess? I'll have a car but I've spent most of my life in walking cities and really prefer walking over driving. Especially driving in urban places with pedestrians/bikers and having to find parking.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:46 PM

786 posts, read 1,222,954 times
Two men face capital murder charges in double murder on East Mockingbird Lane in Dallas | Dallas Morning News

Old 07-16-2014, 01:55 PM

792 posts, read 1,221,884 times
Quote:
It's a relief knowing every place has AC. Coming from SF, not really sure how I'd handle the heat.

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like Phoenix could be an option, not a fan of murders in garages though. Pad mapper is a helpful site, will take a closer look on there.

How walkable is the SMU/Uptown/Downtown areas of Dallas? Once summer's over can I walk/DART to most places without being a sweaty mess? I'll have a car but I've spent most of my life in walking cities and really prefer walking over driving. Especially driving in urban places with pedestrians/bikers and having to find parking.
Dallas is not very walkable if you are comparing it to other "walkable" cities. The areas you are looking at are some of the most walkable by Dallas standards. If you stay very near campus you can walk to shops, grocery, and some services (eg dentist, cleaners, gym). Uptown is even better, esp for walking to restaurants and bars.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:10 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
1. This murder was in the Burger Street parking lot, not the Phoenix parking garage.
2. Violent crime is EXTREMELY rare in the M Streets / Village/ SMU area. Even the linked article points that out.
3. Those involved with this crime did NOT live in the area; the victim was from Arlington (20 miles away)

The Phoenix wouldn't be my first choice but it's affordable and hardly riddled with drugs & crime....

Old 07-16-2014, 02:10 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,062 times
Quote:
There are some places around Uptown in your budget, they're just older:
Availability

I would see what padmapper has available in Knox/Henderson too.

That's a drug deal gone wrong and could have happened anywhere. That didn't involve anyone living at the Phoenix, and could have just as easily taken place at the Village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas