Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Longing to move back to Dallas, missing friends family, cost of living, weather, proximity to families, considering other places to live, move back to Vegas or Texas

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 09:24 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times

Advertisements

I grew up in small town MS and moved to Arlington in May of 2000. My oldest brother, who has now passed away, had moved out here right after high school and went to work for Allstate while putting himself through lawschool. I was still a teen at the time and we came out to visit him frequently and I had always dreamed of moving out here and out of MS. I loved it in Arlington, and then work moved me to Plano in late 2001.

My wife was born and raised in Colorado and moved here in 1993 for a couple of years, went back to Colorado after graduating high school to attend college at CSU, and then moved back to Plano in 1998 to take care of her mother who had become very ill. She ended up staying. We met in 2005, hit it off BIG and got married 5 months later. We had both been in the DFW area for a few years and the traffic, heat, etc was getting to us. My job was going downhill in pay (commission based) and way up in stress levels, so we decided to live a slower paced life. We looked at Nashville, Huntsville, and Knoxville and ended up settling on Knoxville. It was pretty great as a happy young couple, just up and deciding we were gonna take off and start fresh somewhere else, and 3 months after deciding we wanted to relocate, we loaded up a Uhaul and took off.

Honestly, we loved east TN and were very happy there as far as things to do. However, as the economy continued to get worse, we both ended up dealing with layoffs. We bot were able to locate new work, but my job was not panning out at all as the company was struggling very hard just to stay afloat. Then my wife got laid off and we decided to open our options. So we looked in Knoxville, Nashville, Dallas, and Denver for employment. We both immediately got offers in Dallas and after thinking it over got very excited about moving back.

So we have been back for 5 months now, and honestly we are enjoying it far more than we did previously. We realized how little exploring we had done before and decided we weren't gonna sit around and whine about what was wrong, but go out and enjoy what was right. And that is what we've been doing. We are living in Las Colinas now and are just a few minutes away from pretty much everything. 2 minutes and we are at the urban center and walking the canals of downtown Las Colinas. 10-15 minutes from downtown Dallas. We've gone to the botanical gardens in Ft Worth and walked around for a couple of hours then took a nap on the grass in the shade under the beautiful trees and blue skies. Our apt property has a 30 acre lake and canals which makes for a beautiful morning or evening run or walk. Last weekend we drove 1.5 hours north on I-35 and spent the afternoon walking around Turner Falls in the Arbuckles of Oklahoma, lots of nice large hills and beautiful scenery. Have been out to Lake Grapevine and walked our dog a few times, only a 10 minute drive. Nice bluffs overlooking the lake and the Gaylord center.

Overall, we are very happy to be back and are enjoying things much more than before. But we also realize that attitude has a lot to do with things. We certainly miss Knoxville as we had just really starty making good friends, and the Smokies were always wonderful for sightseeing. I have a feeling though that we will be in the Dallas area for a long time to come. Hills are beautiful and all, but nothing like the big wide open skies of Texas with widely stretched very gently rolling hills with ranches and blue bonnets for miles and miles in the spring. Love being back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 10:00 AM

41 posts, read 107,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
The Angeles National Forest (655,000 acres) is 35 miles from my apartment. Maybe hike up Mt. Baldy, go camping, rafting, fishing, etc.

Griffith Park, one of the largest urban parks in North America at 4,210 acres is just 23 miles from me. It also includes the Griffith Observatory.

Or I could drive 9 miles up the highway to The Getty Museum.

Or perhaps a night out at the Hollywood Bowl.

Or a hike along the beach through the Santa Monica mountains.

Or surfing.

Or skiing at Big Bear, just a few hours from Los Angeles.

Or riding my motorcycle at Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, Laguna Seca, or California Speedway, all within easy driving distance of LA.

Or seeing Billy Crystal and Joan Rivers perform live at The Wiltern, just 20 minutes away.

Or seeing Jay Leno test out material on Sunday night at The Comedy and Magic Club in Hermosa Beach, just 20 minutes away.

Or going out to the desert to ride motorcycles or go camping or watch the stars.

Or head up to Yosemite for some more outdoors.

Or walk down to the beach and spend the day being lazy.

Or take a bike ride along the beach from Malibu down to Redondo Beach.

Or take the train down to San Diego to watch a baseball game and spend the weekend.

Or take a behind-the-scenes movie studio tour.

Or be a guest on a talk show or sitcom.

Or go kayaking.

Or spend a day or the weekend on Catalina Island.

Take a short drive to Pasadena and have lunch at the Botanical Gardens of the Huntington Library.

Or drive up the coast a bit to The Getty Villa.

Or ride the canyons on my motorcycle up around Malibu.

Or ride along Angeles Crest Highway.

Or head down to the Long Beach Aquarium.

Or down to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Wildlife Park.

I could go on and on and on.

I am sooo jealous! You know, this whole post means - everything is relative. People who moved to Dallas from God-forgotten places like some Rochester NY or whatever smallish tiny places would LOVE Dallas. People from LA, San-Francisco, New-York city, etc. - would suffer. If you live in San-Francisco, why actually to move to Dallas? That would be a horrible, horrible mistake!

On your list above, you have so many things to do on weekends nearby LA, and so many of them in Nature!
So far, the only close, resonable place for hiking nearby Dallas we found was Cedar Hill State Park. We went there, spent half a day, done it all! Next things are above 3 hours of drive from Dallas, nearby Austin. There is no nature around for hiking! We did already all the lakes within 1 hour driving from Dallas. What now? And we are only 3 months here! 1 year and 7 months more to go. I count every day to get out of here!

Well, that's unfortunate that we are by chance nature-lovers. But restaurants-wise, it is not so bad. Night life is also reasonable. But come on, I can not believe that anybody who moved to "cool cities" like LA or NY or even Seattle would find any reason to go back to Dallas. Here is the unfortunate thing about Dallas - it is not COOL. Not even close. I've been to Austin, and I so deeply regret that Dallas is no Austin! Even not a shadow of it....

Old 11-08-2008, 02:56 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,066,358 times
Well, An European, I am one of those people who moved from San Francisco to Dallas. Best thing I ever did.

I didn't think SF was cool, in fact I was a complete misfit in the society they have there. I disagreed with almost everything they believed in, and cursed them for every shortcoming.

Los Angeles is a different biome... plant environment... than Dallas. It is semiarid Mediterranean, whereas Dallas is a prairie with riparian forest along its many rivers and streams. It also contains a thick forest called the Cross Timbers. Most people will prefer one to another. Personally, I like the Dallas forests and prairies, and LA's environment is too parched and lifeless for me.

If you're looking for mountain hiking, you're in the wrong town. Try Tucson or Salt Lake City or quite a few other places. It's not as important to me, and the many lakes within driving range of DFW is just fine.

Looking at the list above, I see maybe a couple of things that are specific to Los Angeles, like visiting a major theme park or a network TV show. Anything else on the list, there is a similar opportunity available in or near DFW.

As to whether or not Los Angeles is paradise on Earth, many people consider its hiking opportunities as less important than many other criteria. Historically, DFW has accumulated its migrants from ex-Angelinos.

Of course everyone has their own criteria for where they want to live. DFW has been very succesful in satisfying a lot of people, but it's not perfect for everyone.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:06 AM

464 posts, read 1,360,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldunn1001 View Post
Is there anyone else out there who has moved away from Dallas and decided to come back? Or whose spouse just hates Dallas while you love living there? Please help us find a home (and a solution without a divorce...lol). Thank you
I came back, (no this isnt my home and glad it isnt) but only because the fact I have family here. Now, I see why I moved (away from Dallas) in the 1st place.

Sometimes, you have to watch a movie twice to get the point. And since I was only here 3 months 2 years ago, and 4 months now...I get the theme.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:15 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Well, An European, I am one of those people who moved from San Francisco to Dallas. Best thing I ever did.

I didn't think SF was cool, in fact I was a complete misfit in the society they have there. I disagreed with almost everything they believed in, and cursed them for every shortcoming.

Los Angeles is a different biome... plant environment... than Dallas. It is semiarid Mediterranean, whereas Dallas is a prairie with riparian forest along its many rivers and streams. It also contains a thick forest called the Cross Timbers. Most people will prefer one to another. Personally, I like the Dallas forests and prairies, and LA's environment is too parched and lifeless for me.

If you're looking for mountain hiking, you're in the wrong town. Try Tucson or Salt Lake City or quite a few other places. It's not as important to me, and the many lakes within driving range of DFW is just fine.

Looking at the list above, I see maybe a couple of things that are specific to Los Angeles, like visiting a major theme park or a network TV show. Anything else on the list, there is a similar opportunity available in or near DFW.

As to whether or not Los Angeles is paradise on Earth, many people consider its hiking opportunities as less important than many other criteria. Historically, DFW has accumulated its migrants from ex-Angelinos.

Of course everyone has their own criteria for where they want to live. DFW has been very succesful in satisfying a lot of people, but it's not perfect for everyone.

Big Mama always told me "everything ain't for everyone". I can imagine a conservative would have a VERY hard time with the political climate of the SF Bay Area, just as much as a liberal would have a hard time living somewhere like Little Rock, AR.

As a former resident of SoCal, I have no desire to move back whatsoever. I've always belived there are places you live and there are places you visit. To me, Cali and Florida are for visiting, D/FW and Atlanta are for living. YMMV.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:26 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Whatever. I moved from LA to Dallas and infinitely prefer it here. Have lived and traveled all over the world. I literally could live anywhere in the world I wanted to. So, no...it's not just farm-raised hicks who find Dallas preferable to your wonderous Californian or other "cool" cities. Lived in Austin for 5 years. Loved it for college; would NEVER live there as an adult. Find LA, Seattle, NY, etc, nice to visit but nightmares to live in. Cool is relative. Activities are relative. Everyone wants something different. And that's ok.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:43 AM

446 posts, read 1,005,303 times
I was raised in Dallas but lived in LA & SF for 15 years before moving back here in January. There are a lot more things to do in SF and LA than in Dallas, anyone who argues differently is really biased and trying to prove an argument. In both places the nature is more bountiful and beautiful, the arts scenes richer and better supported, the business opportunities more varied, and the food scene better in every way.

Also the cost of living is through the roof, people are stressed and unfriendly (better in LA than SF), everything is crowded, and the schools are absolutely unacceptable.

I love it here in Dallas, this move was the right thing for our family. We are far less stressed about money, we have a house we could stay in forever, we love our neighbors, we have lots of family here, and tons more options for schools. We deal with the food issue by cooking more, which turns out to be fun and healthy (thank God for Central Market.) We really weren't big art mavens to start with, and with little kids, who has time for hiking?

In the end, Dallas is a wonderful place to live if you're trying to raise a family, but it's not really a tourist destination. I know some on here will disagree (vehemently), but I just can't think anyone is persuaded that folks are weighing..."Paris? New York? London? Dallas?" It's not happening...and that's totally fine. Dallas has nothing to prove to anyone, not really.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:11 PM

464 posts, read 1,360,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtex View Post
Dallas has nothing to prove to anyone, not really.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:41 AM

830 posts, read 2,859,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtex View Post
I was raised in Dallas but lived in LA & SF for 15 years before moving back here in January. There are a lot more things to do in SF and LA than in Dallas, anyone who argues differently is really biased and trying to prove an argument. In both places the nature is more bountiful and beautiful, the arts scenes richer and better supported, the business opportunities more varied, and the food scene better in every way.

Also the cost of living is through the roof, people are stressed and unfriendly (better in LA than SF), everything is crowded, and the schools are absolutely unacceptable.

I love it here in Dallas, this move was the right thing for our family. We are far less stressed about money, we have a house we could stay in forever, we love our neighbors, we have lots of family here, and tons more options for schools. We deal with the food issue by cooking more, which turns out to be fun and healthy (thank God for Central Market.) We really weren't big art mavens to start with, and with little kids, who has time for hiking?

In the end, Dallas is a wonderful place to live if you're trying to raise a family, but it's not really a tourist destination. I know some on here will disagree (vehemently), but I just can't think anyone is persuaded that folks are weighing..."Paris? New York? London? Dallas?" It's not happening...and that's totally fine. Dallas has nothing to prove to anyone, not really.

I totally agree!

Old 11-12-2008, 11:37 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,189,767 times
Dallas is a MILLION times better than the craphole of SoCal! And the people who think otherwise, well good for them. We don't want them spoiling Dallas anyways!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas