Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 06:59 PM

718 posts, read 1,389,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSize View Post
Just look at historical trends and read up about concerns in investment circles about emerging bubble.

Do explore Frisco ISD's increasing debt and fact that they exhausted their credit line. Someone is going to have to pay it back, brace yourself up for a tax hike and competition with the new home builders to sell your used property.
Frankly , if it means they keep the same quality , I have no issue with paying more . Frisco needs more schools without a doubt , and the small ratio is a huge attraction. Go and look at surrounding districts , many of them have too many kids and not enough money or classrooms and don't plan to do anything about it , quality will suffer on the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 10:03 PM

7 posts, read 13,289 times
Too much fracking in flower mound. Not really safe for kids.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:34 PM

473 posts, read 1,199,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katbaloo2981 View Post
Too much fracking in flower mound. Not really safe for kids.
Do you really know what you are talking and at the same time looking into Grapevine, Coppell and Colleyville?
Oh well, even if you are looking into non fracking areas, there is too much auto pollution on the highway, too many cars on the local streets, Other pollution from retail, commercial, industrial....etc

Auto pollution and "Other" pollution constitutes 95% of the pollution. See slide 12. Oil and Gas is only 5%.

http://www.nctcog.org/trans/presentations/KFWB.pdf

Folks like you are likely to blame their health problems to anything. By the way, there is no active fracking in Flower Mound and not likely to happen due to their tough ordinances. And to explain in short, fracking (1 to 3 weeks duration ) happens only once or twice in the 30 years lifetime of a well.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:39 AM

140 posts, read 232,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faceoff007 View Post
Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Are elementary schools that offer IB primary better than the ones that has only gifted/pull out option?
Are there many elementary schools with IB programs? I thought IB started in middle school or even high school.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:05 PM

159 posts, read 291,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralyks View Post
Are there many elementary schools with IB programs? I thought IB started in middle school or even high school.
IB Primary is offered at the elementary level. Age 3 to 12

Here are some of local DFW schools that offer IB Primary.

Carrollton - R.E. Good Elementary School
Dallas St. Anthony Academy
Dallas - Williams Preparatory
Irving - Las Colinas Elementary
Irving - North Hills Preparatory
Lancaster - Pleasant Run Elementary School
McKinney - Imagine International Academy of North Texas
Westlake - Westlake Academy

Source: IB Primary Years Programme at a glance

Old 11-24-2016, 05:40 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,460,702 times
(bump)

Any update on the GT programs mentioned here, or nearby?

As a parent it would be hard for me to move schools without my kids complaining, but knowledge is power.

While, from my perspective at least, Math Rocks provides a better social environment and transitional environment for math enrichment, I'm not completely moved that alone it's makes for a better end result (at least for my kid). I would have enjoyed an environment like Math Rocks as a kid though. However, I am disappointed in the post-tracking world when bright elementary kids in some areas that can do basic algebra are being forced to teach kids that don't care who can't do basic arithmetic.

As my oldest daughter is soon to be going to middle school, I have noticed that Plano ISD doesn't have a GT English class, but Plano Jr. (Frisco ISD) does. Although Plano ISD does have Honors English, the requirements to get in are noticeably lower than GT. I have noticed kids (including GT) from the surrounding districts (Plano, Frisco, Allen, etc.) with obvious English grammar issues as it doesn't seem like grammar is being taught. Plano ISD has GT Humanities instead in Middle School. Personally, while I feel it's important to learn about Social Studies, I think a more rigorous environment for English is more important, especially when the kids have obvious errors with common verb conjugation, which adjective to use, countable nouns, etc.

Allen ISD has a new GT magnet elementary program, and I would like to move my youngest daughter, but she might try to go kicking and screaming being separated from her friends.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:36 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
From my own experience and input from friends, private schools serve GT students better. Among public GT programs, they are quite similar, Plano having the advantage of a more established and better performing GT program. As long as individual student's issues with English grammar, no matter which district you are in, you can talk to their teachers and make kids attend after/pre school tutorials or get them some private tutoring lessons for individual attention. Keep moving from one public school to other is just going to complicate things for your kid, not solve them.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:17 AM

468 posts, read 475,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
(bump)

Any update on the GT programs mentioned here, or nearby?

As a parent it would be hard for me to move schools without my kids complaining, but knowledge is power.

While, from my perspective at least, Math Rocks provides a better social environment and transitional environment for math enrichment, I'm not completely moved that alone it's makes for a better end result (at least for my kid). I would have enjoyed an environment like Math Rocks as a kid though. However, I am disappointed in the post-tracking world when bright elementary kids in some areas that can do basic algebra are being forced to teach kids that don't care who can't do basic arithmetic.

As my oldest daughter is soon to be going to middle school, I have noticed that Plano ISD doesn't have a GT English class, but Plano Jr. (Frisco ISD) does. Although Plano ISD does have Honors English, the requirements to get in are noticeably lower than GT. I have noticed kids (including GT) from the surrounding districts (Plano, Frisco, Allen, etc.) with obvious English grammar issues as it doesn't seem like grammar is being taught. Plano ISD has GT Humanities instead in Middle School. Personally, while I feel it's important to learn about Social Studies, I think a more rigorous environment for English is more important, especially when the kids have obvious errors with common verb conjugation, which adjective to use, countable nouns, etc.

Allen ISD has a new GT magnet elementary program, and I would like to move my youngest daughter, but she might try to go kicking and screaming being separated from her friends.
If your daughter is already used to PISD let her roll a few more years and get hardened before transferring. I knew a family who transferred their daughter after freshman year at Jasper HS to Allen. Her class rank and gpa took off like a rocket once at Allen.

Old 11-24-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter5457 View Post
If your daughter is already used to PISD let her roll a few more years and get hardened before transferring. I knew a family who transferred their daughter after freshman year at Jasper HS to Allen. Her class rank and gpa took off like a rocket once at Allen.
She'll do better in college if you keep her on Jasper/West track. That's the biggest advantage, their kids rock college because they are better prepped then mediocre schools. Downgrading standard of education and level of peers by moving to a school with lower standards is creating an illusion of good performance. You don't want college to be a rude awakening for her.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:02 AM

Food for thought.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...ws-one-college
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: