Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 03:55 PM

8 posts, read 7,239 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Dallas as soon as our visas arrive. I have a one year old and a three year old and I'm looking for recommendation as to how to keep the kids shielded from the sun in the car. We used to have little roller blinds but the suction caps have stopped working.

I want to replace them with something that will cope with the summer Dallas sunshine. Do you use whole car covers when the car is parked in the sun? I saw them in the use in Sydney, Australia. Please could you give me product names or even links to what I need to look for to keep us all comfy and safe.

On a separate note, my husband is choosing between a GMC or a Tahoe so any opinions on that would be welcome too. Over here in the UK we drive an ancient X5 and would love something similar but slightly bigger.

Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 06:05 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,924,275 times
We had an older (2010) Tahoe was was excellent--traded it in for a Buick Enclave (suv) which is smaller and drives more like car but miss that Tahoe for when we travel long trips with pets...
the new Tahoe isn't getting such great reviews from what I have read--
you can Google for car sites like Car and Driver or Kelley Blue Book's site and get reviews

I never see a car with a tarp on it unless it is parked and not being used...
you can get new sunshades for the side windows to use when driving your children--
be aware that some laws prohibit dark windows past a certain degree and most US cars already have window tinting on side windows...
One thing to remember is that moon roofs should have method of shielding interiors from sun--
the new Buick my husband bought has only a black fiber/cloth to screen the two moon roofs--
something we didn't pay that much attention to before purchase--
now when we travel we add aluminum foil between glass and fabric in the second moon roof other wise there is way too much light/heat in the second row seating...

Old 07-27-2014, 10:15 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,300,617 times
Tint your windows and don't give a second thought unless you are spending huge chunks of time in the car.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:10 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,544,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4isFamily View Post
We are moving to Dallas as soon as our visas arrive. I have a one year old and a three year old and I'm looking for recommendation as to how to keep the kids shielded from the sun in the car. We used to have little roller blinds but the suction caps have stopped working.
How many hours a day do you plan on subjecting them to vehicular sun and heat? And why?
The simple solution would be to keep them at home unless forced to put them in the car.

Seriously, there's no device that will do what you're asking. Texas sun/heat in itself is not toxic. It's folks who insist on exposing their kids for no reason.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:12 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,128,451 times
Many people I know get tinted windows only. They don't bother with sun shades for the rear side windows.

Today's auto windows have 100% UV filtering, if you are worried about rear passenger sunburns.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:41 AM

8 posts, read 7,239 times
Ok, thanks for you replies. Here pretty well everyone has some form of sunshade on the windows for kids, just so they don't have bright light in their face when napping. Window tinting here is rare so it could be that.

We won't be doing much time in the car but today we did a one hour drive back from a day out and it's hot and sunny (for us, about 10c lower than it is where you are) and I said I really must get side shades for the kids. Given its so much hotter and sunnier in Dallas than Southern England I figured you'd have a better solution than these suckered shades, I think it must be the tinting.

Thank you for the advice on the Tahoe. My BMW X5 is 2003 and I think we'd be looking for something around 2008. We just can't be bothered to lose loads of money on depreciation these days.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:14 AM

218 posts, read 337,403 times
Sun shade makes a difference even on tinted cars.
People don't use them more because of the extra time spent to fold and stow away.
I use them all summer.
OP - you can find them in any store.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:46 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,199,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4isFamily View Post
Ok, thanks for you replies. Here pretty well everyone has some form of sunshade on the windows for kids, just so they don't have bright light in their face when napping. Window tinting here is rare so it could be that.

We won't be doing much time in the car but today we did a one hour drive back from a day out and it's hot and sunny (for us, about 10c lower than it is where you are) and I said I really must get side shades for the kids. Given its so much hotter and sunnier in Dallas than Southern England I figured you'd have a better solution than these suckered shades, I think it must be the tinting.

Thank you for the advice on the Tahoe. My BMW X5 is 2003 and I think we'd be looking for something around 2008. We just can't be bothered to lose loads of money on depreciation these days.
I think you are over-concerned about the issue. Sun isn't bad for people, including children.

I would do nothing more than tint the windows in your car. Be sure you go to a reputable shop. They have many different tint films to choose from - different levels of light transmission, etc. Do not be tempted to do anything darker than allowed by law (the tint shops will know).

Old 07-28-2014, 09:49 AM

5,266 posts, read 6,415,243 times
Many newer cars come with built-in shades, either automatic or rollup, so you can buy one with them built in if you like. In my opinion, a car with rear a/c (can't believe in 2014 they make 4 doors that don't have it - dumb) and some tinting and everyone will be fine- and both are much more important than those shades. I also crack my windows a tiny bit in my terrible unshaded office parking lot while my car is sitting unattended for hours a day.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:51 PM

263 posts, read 411,408 times
I have been in Dallas for a couple of years now and have wondered about this myself.

Our car gets *really hot* when its parked outside when we are out weekend shopping or eating out, and the leather seats probably add to the problem. We do not have the windows tinted - we moved from the northeast.

This maybe a stupid question but is the tint removable when summer is over or is it an irrevocable thing? We like light in the car all the time except when it is as hot as it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: