Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 11:43 AM

953 posts, read 1,830,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenE1 View Post
Most college counselors know and favor school districts with reputation of excellence. Even for UT, top school districts get all of the non quota spots. They rather take a top 30% student from a competitive district than a top 11% student from a slacker ISD. My nephew interviewed for Harvard and they knew that getting in top 1% of Plano is a medal of honor.
I agree. Even with proliferation of online degrees, I think the value of a BA from a top college will always matter and, in fact, the divide might go up with top companies only looking at candidates from top colleges (they already do but I am saying it is going to get more so). For getting into a top college, a great high school will be a requirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 12:48 PM

385 posts, read 488,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
I agree. Even with proliferation of online degrees, I think the value of a BA from a top college will always matter and, in fact, the divide might go up with top companies only looking at candidates from top colleges (they already do but I am saying it is going to get more so). For getting into a top college, a great high school will be a requirement.

I think it matters to a certain extent. I went to an average state school and received an offer at the Federal Reserve over candidates from SMU, UT, Tulane, A&M, Rice, and a few other schools.

After I received the offer, one of the complaints from the panel that interviewed me was that some students from top schools came into interviews feeling entitled, and that they put more emphasis on the name of the school, rather than on skills that made them a desirable candidate.

It just depends on the student.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:59 PM

953 posts, read 1,830,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J800 View Post
I think it matters to a certain extent. I went to an average state school and received an offer at the Federal Reserve over candidates from SMU, UT, Tulane, A&M, Rice, and a few other schools.

After I received the offer, one of the complaints from the panel that interviewed me was that some students from top schools came into interviews feeling entitled, and that they put more emphasis on the name of the school, rather than on skills that made them a desirable candidate.

It just depends on the student.
I was saying more in terms of online degrees vs. traditional degrees. You are clearly a traditional degree holder I think in that regard.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:11 PM

385 posts, read 488,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
I was saying more in terms of online degrees vs. traditional degrees. You are clearly a traditional degree holder I think in that regard.
Ah ok, makes sense.

Is there any online degree that isn't looked down on? I know that top companies will throw those resumes in the trash.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:47 PM

263 posts, read 410,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Not sure if it was mentioned before or not, but just remember "Asian" in those figures does not mean East Asian. It includes a lot of Indian and Middle Eastern children as well.
As it should

I have never understood how the term "Asian" has been restricted to "East Asian" in the US!

Non-east Asians make up > 50% of Asia!
List of Asian countries by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-08-2014, 03:04 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDFW View Post
As it should

I have never understood how the term "Asian" has been restricted to "East Asian" in the US!

Non-east Asians make up > 50% of Asia!
List of Asian countries by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Agreed, but I know that association is made a lot so just wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:42 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Agreed, but I know that association is made a lot so just wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page.
Arabs count as white, not Asian. So do Persians.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:48 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Arabs count as white, not Asian. So do Persians.
If they classified it as so on this set, Skaggs would not be 70+ percent Asian.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:09 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
If they classified it as so on this set, Skaggs would not be 70+ percent Asian.
Ummm...they do.

I live in the neighborhood where Skaggs resides (Russell Creek). There arent a lot of Arabs nor Persians in the neighborhood. Rather, they tend to live further South. Its overwhelmingly Indian and East Asian.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:30 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times
PISD uses the same classifications as the Census Bureau, which is:

Indian/Pakistani = Asian
Arab/Iranian = White

And yeah, Skaggs really *is* 70% Asian. Off the top of my head, probably 40-50% Chinese, 15-20% Indian subcontinent, 5-10% assorted other Asian ethnicities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas