Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 10:15 PM

317 posts, read 835,192 times

Advertisements

I"m looking for an apartment in Richardson. The place of employment is going to be on N collins, between Municipal drive and CentralExpressway. The closest cross street is Omni Drive.

Must haves:
budget: $900 would be perfect. Less is better. $1000 is a bit pushing it, but if it satisfies all requirements and can provide the best experience, I might consider.
Size: studio or 1 bedroom. This will be for 2 adults. square footage is not an issue.
Safety: low crime rate, not a lot of issues with apartment or the neighborhood.
laundry: hookups available, or machine in unit
style: At least the interior of the unit should not be dated. More or less modern, open. has a level of urban would be nice.

Would really like (but not absolute required if budget doesn't allow)
near the DART station. I don't have any experience in DART, and I don't plan to use it as a main form of transportation. However, having a station near by as an option would be nice. Something that the spouse can take to explore. Btw, how is the DART station and train? Is it efficient? Are the employees nice? Is it a waste of mode of transportation?
Style: The best case is something that is urban: modern, urban exterior and interior, nice appliances, walkable to shops near by, open and more on the luxurious side, high-rise style.

For my commute, being closer to work would be nice, but if living out gives more options, then I can consider 30 to 40 minute commute(with traffic).

Looking and researching on my own, For richardson, the only ones I see for under $1000 are BrickRow, Block 24 and PostEast side. Even then, I need to make sure they are available too.

What if I move out to Plano? Will that kill my commute time? Looking on maps, it looks like it won't. What about Dallas? It looks like Dallas might.

1. what's everyone opinion on brick row, block 24, and post east side?
2. Any other locations, apt to consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 11:10 AM

446 posts, read 835,431 times
We had checked out Brick Row and Block 24. Both are visually nice, but have heard of enough complaints with Brick Row to make it not an option for us. Block24, visually appealing, mixed reviews.

We also had similar criteria in our search, w my workplace being in Plano. Ended up renting in Frisco and it's been pretty nice, considering we moved from a 4br house to a 1 br apt. Check out Colonial Reserve @ Frisco Bridges. 1br rents are ~960 + 30 valet trash fee. All in, w pest control, it's abt $1015/mo. Quiet, friendly ppl, brand new apartments. Visually appealing, but this is not high quality finishings (ikea cabinets, standard/cheapie hardware). It's apt living at the end of the day, we just wanted something quiet w/o partiers and modern. Not a high rise, but we didn't care abt that (this isn't the north east where you get nice city views).

Plano is pricey for the newer buildings. Frisco seemed to have a lot to offer for newer buildings and good convenience.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:59 PM

thanks. I'll definitely check out Frisco. My only concern is the commute. Google maps shows 15 miles, so that's not bad....but I've heard that Texas traffic can get extremely congested. Is there any validity to that? maps shows around a 18 minute drive. What are the chances that a commute will double to 40 minutes on a typical morning (maps suggest dallas N tollway S and Georgebush turnpike east).

As for the style, that' pretty much exactly what I want. I think high end would be out of the picture, but ikea or modern is enough. Also, I agree, high-rise is probably not something that I need.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:07 PM

19,856 posts, read 65,485,638 times
The usual rule is to allow 2-3 min. per mile in rush-hour traffic unless you are going against the flow. South on the DNT isn't fast but east on PGBT is. I can usually manage 75 mph from the DNT to Hwy 78, I hit the DNT at Eldorado about 8:10-8:15..

Old 08-03-2014, 01:52 PM

3,336 posts, read 2,557,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semidevil View Post
thanks. I'll definitely check out Frisco. My only concern is the commute. Google maps shows 15 miles, so that's not bad....but I've heard that Texas traffic can get extremely congested. Is there any validity to that? maps shows around a 18 minute drive. What are the chances that a commute will double to 40 minutes on a typical morning (maps suggest dallas N tollway S and Georgebush turnpike east).

As for the style, that' pretty much exactly what I want. I think high end would be out of the picture, but ikea or modern is enough. Also, I agree, high-rise is probably not something that I need.

Considering all the toll roads, I imagine the daily tolls for both directions are in the neighborhood of $6.00. This translates to approximately $6.50 per gallon of fuel. This assumes you are driving 50 miles round trip, if less your cost is even higher.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:03 PM

ugh. your right. need to consider toll roads also......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas