Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 06:18 PM

6 posts, read 9,821 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Dallas and am searching for a home alarm system company that doesn't want to take me to the cleaners every month. With all the latest and greatest technology, companies have switched to wireless systems which cost about $50 a month. We don't have a home line and don't intend to get one for the simple purpose of having a home security system.

We are looking for suggestions of companies that will provide a wireless system under the $40/month charge. We were paying $20 a month before our move and are hoping to pay the same here in Dallas.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 06:35 PM

247 posts, read 379,462 times
im looking into it as well and am looking towards simplisafe

Old 08-21-2014, 06:36 PM

6 posts, read 9,821 times
Do you have pricing information from that company?

Old 08-21-2014, 07:05 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
Suggest Simply Safe. You purchase and own the system, customize it to your needs. Monitoring is about $15.

But here is something you need to know. Average response time to an alarm system call is about 20 minutes. I know as an appraiser and agent, setting off alarms on homes that were supposed to be disarmed (homeowner says 'oops'). Also city may require a yearly fee to respond to an alarm call. No fee, no response. Dallas PD was requiring that the property owner call and verify the alarm before responding.

Te noise of the alarm and the sign are the biggest deterrent, reduces the likelihood of a break-in by about 90%. You will also save on your homeowners insurance.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:48 PM

676 posts, read 930,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Suggest Simply Safe. You purchase and own the system, customize it to your needs. Monitoring is about $15.

But here is something you need to know. Average response time to an alarm system call is about 20 minutes. I know as an appraiser and agent, setting off alarms on homes that were supposed to be disarmed (homeowner says 'oops'). Also city may require a yearly fee to respond to an alarm call. No fee, no response. Dallas PD was requiring that the property owner call and verify the alarm before responding.

Te noise of the alarm and the sign are the biggest deterrent, reduces the likelihood of a break-in by about 90%. You will also save on your homeowners insurance.

Simply Safe is horrid. I have friends that have had them and they have said they take for ever to respond to an alarm. Their system also seems really easy for almost any burgular to defeat. I would recommend Smith Thompson. They have an excellent response time and are 16.95 a month for cellular monitoring with no contract. We have never had any issues with them. They are also monitored in Plano.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:32 AM

559 posts, read 935,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWTransplant612 View Post
I recently moved to Dallas and am searching for a home alarm system company that doesn't want to take me to the cleaners every month. With all the latest and greatest technology, companies have switched to wireless systems which cost about $50 a month. We don't have a home line and don't intend to get one for the simple purpose of having a home security system.

We are looking for suggestions of companies that will provide a wireless system under the $40/month charge. We were paying $20 a month before our move and are hoping to pay the same here in Dallas.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
We just moved to a new house in Frisco. I was driving around in my neighborhood the other day and approximately 7 out 10 homes with security systems had Smith Thompson label outside their house. I think that speaks for itself about their service quality at an affordable price.

I am looking to get security system installed as well and thinking to go with Smith Thompson.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:53 AM

953 posts, read 1,829,978 times
Smith Thompson for $17/ month. Wireless and everything. You have to realize that regardless of differentiated prices in the market, they all use the same central monitoring service (yes that part is outsourced). ST does a great job at keeping the prices low and offer an awesome service. We have had it and anytime we open the door accidentally, we get a call in under 30 sec. If you have angie's list then you get 2 months free. If you find this helpful, I would appreciate some reputation points...

Last edited by frenzyrider; 08-22-2014 at 08:58 AM..

Old 08-22-2014, 08:54 AM

205 posts, read 334,056 times
+1 for Smith Thompson

FrenzyRider - YOU HAVE BEEN REPPED

Old 08-22-2014, 09:02 AM

117 posts, read 193,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_nemi View Post
+1 for Smith Thompson

FrenzyRider - YOU HAVE BEEN REPPED
+2
Fantastic service and great prices

Old 08-22-2014, 09:12 AM

262 posts, read 468,581 times
Most of the homes on my street (including mine) have Smith Thompson. Their response time is great as well as their customer service. You also get a month free if you pay for the full year service at once (pro-rated refundable if you decide to switch). Each referral gets you a free month of service as well....I have been happy with their service....Don't forget to get the alarm permit from your city's PD once you sign up for the monitoring service. In Allen, it costs $50 per year and if someone does not register for a permit and the PD had to respond to a call, they will charge $500 for every time the PD responds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas