Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 10:16 PM

11 posts, read 12,837 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Texas!
Rockwall provides a small town feel in a beautiful community with close proximity to Wylie. We also have great schools. View this video provided by the Rockwall EDC to get a feel for what the area has to offer.

Rockwall..It's just better here - Rockwall Economic Development Corporation - YouTube

By the way, I see you are a realtor. Are you planning on getting your TX license?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 10:29 PM

200 posts, read 619,122 times
I don't particularly care for Rockwall.

Thanks, and yes I will be :-)

Old 08-23-2014, 09:35 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
The usual advice is it will 2-3 min per mile in prime-time traffic. You can go to NTTA.org to check tolls. From the DNT on the Bush turnpike to 78 is $4+ one way.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:20 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrece View Post
I don't particularly care for Rockwall.
Disclaimer: I don't live in Rockwall and never have.

Question: How did you decide you don't care for it, if you've never visited?

Rockwall aside, D Magazine does an biennual survey of the best suburbs in DFW. We can all argue about which suburb should be ranked higher/lower but the table gives you a bunch of info (crime rates, mean SAT score, real estate market direction (up/down), walkability scores, etc) allowing you to compare vastly different suburbs using the same metrics. FWIW, Murphy ranks #5 out of 60+ suburbs (compared to Wylie & Sasche at 28 & 26) so you have an outstanding option super close to your hubby's new office.
The Best Places to Live in Dallas: The Best Dallas Suburbs 2014 | D Magazine

Old 08-23-2014, 11:49 AM

3,835 posts, read 4,442,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Disclaimer: I don't live in Rockwall and never have.

Question: How did you decide you don't care for it, if you've never visited?

Rockwall aside, D Magazine does an biennual survey of the best suburbs in DFW. We can all argue about which suburb should be ranked higher/lower but the table gives you a bunch of info (crime rates, mean SAT score, real estate market direction (up/down), walkability scores, etc) allowing you to compare vastly different suburbs using the same metrics. FWIW, Murphy ranks #5 out of 60+ suburbs (compared to Wylie & Sasche at 28 & 26) so you have an outstanding option super close to your hubby's new office.
The Best Places to Live in Dallas: The Best Dallas Suburbs 2014 | D Magazine

I dont even know why anyone would bother using "walkability" when judging Dallas suburbs. I know for certain that Murphy, Wylie, Sachse are most definitely not places where you would walk to the store from your subdivision.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCastillo View Post
Welcome to Texas!
Rockwall provides a small town feel in a beautiful community with close proximity to Wylie. We also have great schools. View this video provided by the Rockwall EDC to get a feel for what the area has to offer.

Rockwall..It's just better here - Rockwall Economic Development Corporation - YouTube

By the way, I see you are a realtor. Are you planning on getting your TX license?
On paper, yes Rockwall is next to Wylie and should be a super easy commute. In practice however, Highway 78 and Highway 205 shrink to two lane blacktops by the time you reach Rockwall from Wylie. So it's easy to get backed up or stuck behind a slowpoke for miles. The other alternative is to take I-30 to George Bush to 78. Then you are left to hope that 30 isnt a parking lot (and it often is). The terrible congestion on 30 was one of the main reasons we ruled out Rockwall when we were house hunting. There are very few alternative routes that are not equally jammed up (like Highway 66 through Rowlett).

Old 08-23-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
That commute would be even worse than Allen. You have better options closer to Wylie than McKinney; I'd stick with those. Biafra's post was awesome.
Agree with the lady...McKinney is not a good commute. Country Club is a two lane black top that goes from McKinney through Fairview, Allen and Lucas before getting to Wylie. I would say no to McKinney. Otherwise, nice city. And like the lady said, "I am awesome".

Old 08-24-2014, 01:26 PM

200 posts, read 619,122 times
Yes, my husband's best friend lives in Rockwall and we've spent time there/visited several times, I just didn't get the "vibe" I am looking for, personal preference completely.

His job location isn't the only component we are considering. I am a Realtor and have to take that into account as well.

We are coming for an area that we never loved, so quality of life is our top and #1 priority for a choice of where to live.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:14 PM

23 posts, read 27,497 times
Hello OP,

My wife and I relocated from California in March this year and we settled into the Firewheel Estates community right off the George Bush Tollway and North Garland/Brand exit. I cannot say enough good things about the area, I am originally born and raised in Texas and lived in North Dallas for a bit 12+ years ago when I first got out of the military. If you would have told me then that I would wind up buying a home in Garland I would have said you were crazy. The truth of the matter is this part of Garland is nothing like what people traditionally think of the city. I can't speak for the local schools other than the elementary located in the community is rated at a 9 out of 10 (Abbett Elementary). My neighbor has worked their for many years and speaks very well of the school. The middle school is Webb, rated at 8 out of 10. The high school is Naaman Forest and is only rated at 4 out of 10, which is odd because it seems like a really nice school passing by but I assume the score is low for a reason. Upon moving into the area I was told there was some sort of special school opening up that was going to specialize into an international curriculum I believe, although I could have remembered that incorrectly.

We did look at a few other areas before deciding on our home, Seis Lagos was a bit to far off the beaten path for us. Murphy was nice but seemed very cookie cutter and the lots appeared much tighter, not only that but we were looking at new homes that were 400k+ and it bothered me that there were lived in homes in the same neighborhood that were approximately the same size and were going for much less. I really like Firewheel Estates because I view it as more established and it's on a golf course so it's very picturesque. I don't play golf but my wife and I take advantage of the course once the golfers are done for the day by walking the dog and riding our bikes on the serene grounds. This is all just my own opinion but I hope it helps you guys make a sound decision, whatever you decide is best for your family I am sure you will like it as North Dallas is a fantastic place to call home.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:16 PM

5 posts, read 4,149 times
Prosper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas