Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 05:58 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post

As you might guess, the hotter the climate, the lower the income of the people who live there. People who are economically stressed enough to want to move to DFW to escape the high cost of housing already live in an area with hotter summer temps. The rich, who are less likely to move away for economic reasons, live in cool weather areas like West LA, Santa Monica and Palos Verdes.
The idea that the only people moving to Dallas from SoCal only come from the Inland Empire seems silly to me, even sillier is the idea that all those in West LA, SM, et al are rich. My wife and I moved here from L.A.'s West Side (Pico and Robertson) and we are far from rich. Most Southern Californians we have met here have been from West LA or Orange County. It's precisely because they (and we) struggle in West LA that we leave for places like Dallas. The Inland Empire (Riverside/San Bernardino) is a smog/gang/drug infested armpit. Yes it is more affordable but it is a lousy place to live. PLus, West LA has plenty of low income areas and so does Orange County. Palms, Venice, Mar Vista, south Santa Monica are all West LA not to mention Inglewood, Hawthorne and the terribly gang infested area around the 110-405 junction are all area that are not hot areas and are low income.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:17 PM

670 posts, read 2,999,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels11 View Post
Is there really a big bug problem in Dallas suburbs. I heard that they build homes in TX with "bug systems" in them.
We have only had one issue with bugs. The first apartment we lived in had never-ending ants. We had no pets. IIRC the complex was pet-free, but OMG these ants never stopped. NOT in the kitchen but in the master bedroom and we don't/didn't eat in there. Everyone had them in their master at this one building. I swear it was built on an ant hill.

Now I think it's Centex that does "tubes in the walls" for bugs. We had a house that was "tubed" never used it. We don't have bugs indoors except for an occasional spider. We do get ants outside. I missed this last summer in DFW because of being out of state and heard there were lots of mosquitoes. We lived here 10 years prior to moving, moved Sept 2006 and back Oct 2007, and never have had a real big issue including fleas with our dog (knock on wood).

Now Louisiana and Georgia are the other 2 most Southern states I've lived in. While *I* personally didn't have bugs, our dog would bring in a tick from time to time (this was a lab who swam in my pond and was icky so mostly an outdoor dog anyway) and those big roaches that I can't remember the name, Palmetto I think? I know my husband said growing up they had roaches and ants (So. Louisiana) issues from time to time if they didn't spray. And for some reason our house we rented in Georgia seemed to be FULL of spiders constantly.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:45 PM

875 posts, read 1,093,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
lh_newbie, the problem with your numbers is that Los Angeles is not uniformly warm or cool. The heat/cool equation varies wildly depending on where you are in the greater Los Angeles area. I think I mentioned the extreme weather numbers between Malibu on the coast and the San Fernando Valley. Farther east in the Inland Empire, the temperature would be even more extreme.

As you might guess, the hotter the climate, the lower the income of the people who live there. People who are economically stressed enough to want to move to DFW to escape the high cost of housing already live in an area with hotter summer temps. The rich, who are less likely to move away for economic reasons, live in cool weather areas like West LA, Santa Monica and Palos Verdes.
To equate temperatures to income level is ridiculous! Palm Springs is inland, how do you account for the wealth there, or any of the other wealthy communities in the same desert?

It is by far hotter here than in the majority of southern CA, because of the humidity, if no other reason.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:35 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
To equate temperatures to income level is ridiculous!
In the grand scheme of things it isn't that ridiculous. Look at the world and see where the poor nations are and where the rich nations are.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:50 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
The Inland Empire (Riverside/San Bernardino) is a smog/gang/drug infested armpit. Yes it is more affordable but it is a lousy place to live.
Sorry to chime on this but ... when people make these outrageous statements I can't leave it unchallenged.

Have you checked your adopted Dallas' crime rate lately?

It's about double the national average ... according to this website.

Much higher than most cities in the Inland Empire and L.A. for that matter.

Just FYI.

Last edited by sheri257; 01-06-2008 at 07:41 AM..

Old 01-06-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Sorry to chime on this but ... when people make these outrageous statements I can't leave it unchallenged.

Have you checked your adopted Dallas' crime rate lately?

It's about double the national average ... according to this website.

Much higher than most cities in the Inland Empire and L.A. for that matter.

Just FYI.

Not outrageous at all. Taking an entire city's crime data and trying to draw a scientific conclusion is pretty irrelevant, especially in a place like Dallas where the majority of violent crime is focused on south dallas and NW dallas. This is my opinion we're talking about. If you want to make the case that Riverside or San Bernardino are wonderful places to live you may, but coming from Southern California and havig spent plenty of time in those locales I confidently will state again that those are nasty crime/drug/gang/smog infested communities. My North Dallas neighborhood is heads and tails a better place to live than the Inland Empire.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
In the grand scheme of things it isn't that ridiculous. Look at the world and see where the poor nations are and where the rich nations are.
I don't think the thread was about the grand scheme of things per se, rather very specifically Los Angeles/Southern California and where folks are leaving from that area when they come to Dallas and how hot it is in their former communities.

Regardless, last time I checked, some of the wealthiest nations on earth oare the sun scorched desert Arab countries sitting on oil reserves....

Old 01-06-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Not outrageous at all. Taking an entire city's crime data and trying to draw a scientific conclusion is pretty irrelevant, especially in a place like Dallas where the majority of violent crime is focused on south dallas and NW dallas. This is my opinion we're talking about. If you want to make the case that Riverside or San Bernardino are wonderful places to live you may, but coming from Southern California and havig spent plenty of time in those locales I confidently will state again that those are nasty crime/drug/gang/smog infested communities. My North Dallas neighborhood is heads and tails a better place to live than the Inland Empire.
That's what everybody says ... the crime isn't bad in my particular neighborhood. Whatever ... if the city crime rate is high ... and you have to rely upon the same police department then ... it still probably affects the overall community. Afterall, high crime does drain resources from the department.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course. I just find it interesting when people make claims about high crime in other areas. Then you go check out the crime rate in their city and the crime is through the roof ... LOL. Kinda like the pot calling the kettle black ... so to speak.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
That's what everybody says ... the crime isn't bad in my particular neighborhood. Whatever ... if the city crime rate is high ... and you have to rely upon the same police department then ... it still probably affects the overall community. Afterall, high crime does drain resources from the department.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course. I just find it interesting when people make claims about high crime in other areas. Then you go check out the crime rate in their city and the crime is through the roof ... LOL. Kinda like the pot calling the kettle black ... so to speak.
OK, so again, my point is North Dallas is a much better place to live than the Inland Empire. Listen, if people love the IE good for them, and if people don't like Dallas orTexas or wherever that is ok too. At the end of the day it is very difficult to take stats that apply to an entire large city or metro area and draw *scientific* conclusions about a particular area/community/neighborhood. Are there relatively nice/low crime/no gang areas in San Bernardino county? Sure there are. Would I ever want to live there? Nope. Smog is still nasty and the area is painfully dull.

From earlier postings you have made in other forums, it looks like you live up in the high desert area north of the IE. Ok, if that works for you great. Houses indeed are not much more expensive if at all than Dallas. But those areas are a cultural wasteland and beyond the new strip malls there is not a whole lot going on. If you want any "big city" attractions you have to drive for hours. Living in Dallas (specifically the very low crime and affordable North Dallas area I live in) gives me direct access to big city stuff that your area does not.

So again, you may choose to agree or disagree, we all eventually vote with our feet. And mine took me to Dallas! :-)

Last edited by rb4browns; 01-06-2008 at 10:10 AM..

Old 01-06-2008, 11:59 AM

I'm really not trying to debate what's better ... IE versus Dallas. I was disagreeing with your statement that crime is bad in the IE when it's not nearly as bad as the crime rate in Dallas.

Dallas does have a high crime rate, which may be something to consider ... as per the topic of the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas