Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 09:55 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
Well, I don't live "in" Dallas, I moved to Plano. What shocked me the most is the high cost of living, and how big Plano is.

It also shocks me how divided people are who live in various areas of the metroplex, and the materialism in the area on the whole.

I only moved to this area to live near my sons, after going through a divorce. Had I known then what I know now......no, I wouldn't have moved here.

I'm giving myself a few more months to acclimate and hopefully things will change, but as it looks now, I will have to move due to not being able to support myself here.
The COL is not high here. Maybe the problem is that you're living in Plano, which is one of the less-affordable suburbs. It sounds like you just don't like the area; your other posts haven't had many (if any) positive things to say about the metroplex and given that, I think you just might be happier elsewhere. Don't expect "things" to change; it sounds like you might have to change either your circumstances or your attitude (or both) if you want things to work out for you in DFW. In any case, best of luck and I hope things (whatever they are) work out for you, whether you decide to stay here or not.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
The only thing that shocked me was how there's no DMV here, you have to jump through hoops to get your registration, plates, and license.

We moved here from Virginia where you could get your license printed at the DMV in 15 minutes... only to arrive at DPS and learn that we had to go without our licenses for 3 weeks. Luckily we have passports so when I had to fly I could at least present a photo ID. In VA we also could get custom plates without a hassle... 7 characters all online. Here it's 6 characters and you have to guess if someone already has what you want. I didn't realize VA was the hotbed of DMV technology

We live in Sachse, not Dallas proper, so our experiences have been somewhat different. I don't see a huge traffic issue, on the contrary, there are so many routes between two points that you can avoid traffic in most hours.
You can "test" custom plates online through Texas's DPS; it tells you instantly whether the string you entered is available or not. Google is your friend. I also renewed my Texas DL completely online...from England...and everything was fine. I haven't experienced a single hassle with the DPS since I've returned.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
You have 30 days:
ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/vtr/misc/vtr450forms.pdf (broken link)

You will stick out like a sore thumb with out of state tags (unless from one of the bordering states).
Yep, you sure will; especially if those plates are from California. Expect to get pulled over more often if you're driving around with out-of-state plates. To a lot of cops here, those plates mean "rental" or "tourist" and mean you're not likely to stick around to go to court to fight the ticket. $$$$$!!!!!!

My recommendation is to slap Texas plates on your car as soon as you can.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
3. Forgive me for using this word, but "Clickish" (Spell?) is definitely apparent the longer you're here. Not that anyone is mean/rude per say, but they simply already have existing relationships and have very little interest in letting others into their inner circle; either that or they are too busy to care. The people that have been real easy to meet and interact with are almost gypsy-like. With many of them moving every year for the past 4-5 years. I've met alot of people that fall into this transient type description.
That's true of a lot of places, though; and new people moving here sort of feed into the "transient" reputation that Dallas has. Those of us with roots here usually don't have that problem. Texans and Dallasites are friendly people on the whole, but that doesn't translate into instant friendship. People here are just as busy as anywhere else and their lives are just as full. Making new friends takes time.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:40 PM

415 posts, read 1,718,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Yep, you sure will; especially if those plates are from California. Expect to get pulled over more often if you're driving around with out-of-state plates. To a lot of cops here, those plates mean "rental" or "tourist" and mean you're not likely to stick around to go to court to fight the ticket. $$$$$!!!!!!

My recommendation is to slap Texas plates on your car as soon as you can.
We drove down from Wisconsin for a year and a half and I never got stopped for having out of state plates. Hell, we drove around with just the inspection sticker and WI plates for a month (the whole DMV thing is a bit confusing, and then they gave us mis-matched plates for one car, and I still haven't put the registration sticker on my car).

I'd say if you get stopped a lot in a car with out of state tags, you might look more at your driving than the license plate...

Old 12-25-2007, 04:45 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,792 times
Quote:
That's true of a lot of places, though; and new people moving here sort of feed into the "transient" reputation that Dallas has. Those of us with roots here usually don't have that problem. Texans and Dallasites are friendly people on the whole, but that doesn't translate into instant friendship. People here are just as busy as anywhere else and their lives are just as full. Making new friends takes time.
I agree. If anything, many of the friends we have made are more likely than not natives or long time residents. Like ND said, building relationships takes time. I think if you are finding people here to be clique-ish, that's more of a commentary on the people you are trying to befriend or the places you are making friends than it is on Dallas and Texas as a whole. In my own non-scientific studies based on travels through every region of the country, this State is just about the friendliest place I have ever been. Give it some time.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeLaura View Post
We drove down from Wisconsin for a year and a half and I never got stopped for having out of state plates. Hell, we drove around with just the inspection sticker and WI plates for a month (the whole DMV thing is a bit confusing, and then they gave us mis-matched plates for one car, and I still haven't put the registration sticker on my car).

I'd say if you get stopped a lot in a car with out of state tags, you might look more at your driving than the license plate...
*shrug* All I know is I hear Californian transplants complaining incessantly about how much they get "harassed" by the police here. Me, I've never driven in Texas without Texas plates (and I don't get pulled over either).

Old 12-26-2007, 08:08 AM

875 posts, read 1,092,996 times
Quote:
The COL is not high here. Maybe the problem is that you're living in Plano, which is one of the less-affordable suburbs. It sounds like you just don't like the area; your other posts haven't had many (if any) positive things to say about the metroplex and given that, I think you just might be happier elsewhere. Don't expect "things" to change; it sounds like you might have to change either your circumstances or your attitude (or both) if you want things to work out for you in DFW. In any case, best of luck and I hope things (whatever they are) work out for you, whether you decide to stay here or not.
I'm sure living in Plano is a big part of the problem. I'm not blaming "Texas" for how I feel, like I said there are other circumstances involved.

There's nothing wrong with my attitude that transitioning through a divorce won't cure. It's a tough adjustment when you're used to living in the country, then move to an area as large and highly populated as the DFW area is, let alone throwing in the personal issues.

I am hoping that after I get a job and meet people things will change. Those are the "things" I was talking about. I really don't think I have the earning capacity to support myself here without depleting my savings, especially starting out in a new state at age 56, and I don't want to commute to Dallas.

I just wish I'd known in earlier years that you can't trust your spouse or the many many years you've spent together planning for your retirement, to actually materialize. No one is going to take care of you but you.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
The only thing that shocked me was how there's no DMV here, you have to jump through hoops to get your registration, plates, and license.

We moved here from Virginia where you could get your license printed at the DMV in 15 minutes... only to arrive at DPS and learn that we had to go without our licenses for 3 weeks. Luckily we have passports so when I had to fly I could at least present a photo ID. In VA we also could get custom plates without a hassle... 7 characters all online. Here it's 6 characters and you have to guess if someone already has what you want. I didn't realize VA was the hotbed of DMV technology

We live in Sachse, not Dallas proper, so our experiences have been somewhat different. I don't see a huge traffic issue, on the contrary, there are so many routes between two points that you can avoid traffic in most hours.
Yes, the DMV thing is a bit different......lol I was very surprised that I had to go to two different locations to get my driver's license, and register my car. Even more suprised that they don't accept checks, and only issue personalized plates during specific months.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
*shrug* All I know is I hear Californian transplants complaining incessantly about how much they get "harassed" by the police here. Me, I've never driven in Texas without Texas plates (and I don't get pulled over either).
I drove with my Oregon plates for about 3 months and had no problems with Police at all. I had purchased a new car in Oregon and moved 3 days later, so I had to wait for my paperwork to get here before I could register my car in this state.

I would venture to say if anyone is complaining about being harassed, it's their driving that is the problem, and not their license plates. On two different ocassions, Police officers actually said to me, "you're not from around here are you?" They were jokingly referencing me using turn signals in a parking lot.....lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas