Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 10:03 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
I just wish I'd known in earlier years that you can't trust your spouse or the many many years you've spent together planning for your retirement, to actually materialize. No one is going to take care of you but you.
Yep, I know that. I just went through a divorce myself. Luckily I didn't get screwed, but it would have been easy for him to.

Best of luck.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:49 AM

10,949 posts, read 1,308,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
You have 30 days:
ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/vtr/misc/vtr450forms.pdf (broken link)

You will stick out like a sore thumb with out of state tags (unless from one of the bordering states).

Thanks for the information.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:04 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
"After a while though, it becomes part of your life and as human beings, your tendency will be getting numbed to it to the point where you dont realize it as much or it doesnt bother you as much"

I disagree with that statement. I myself would try to think of a new job,work from home, or something like that. Some people will just continue to take the abuse. There are always other options out there... you just have to think outside of the box. Some people here in the DC area do 1 and 2 hour drives to work which to me is crazy as hell.
No,you will get use to it. You just happen to take the easy way out and give up quickly.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:25 PM

8 posts, read 30,250 times
What I wish I knew Before Moving to Dallas from NY

1. That many Texans are real sensitive about Religion (I'm an Italian American atheist).

2. Texans can't drive.

3. That McMansions exist (The shock and horror when I first drove up to Plano then Frisco and saw those terrible homes)

4. There's no such thing as too much rouge or Chanel no. 5

5. Texan men are sooo not sexy.

6. And they are even less sexy when they bible-thump.

7. That there can be so many fat people in a single aisle in the supermarket, all buying fat-full, cholesterol-laden crap.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:03 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
That certain areas where the housing looks new and cute may still have significant crime issues. Check out where you move before moving in!

Also, those of you who are new and wanting to meet people, I would suggest...church! This is where we quickly met people and formed some very deep friendships which we have today. I know that is not everyone's thing, but it's a thought...

Old 12-26-2007, 04:30 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
I was shocked at the lack of sidewalks when we moved here 12 yrs ago - at Mockingbird and Inwood....where I made no friends (lived for 1 1/2 yrs). Moved to East Dallas and made friends on the first day of our move - what a difference a change of neighborhood can make!!

Old 12-26-2007, 06:10 PM

875 posts, read 1,093,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Yep, I know that. I just went through a divorce myself. Luckily I didn't get screwed, but it would have been easy for him to.

Best of luck.
I didn't exactly get screwed financially either, but I would have planned for my future seperately in hind sight.

Thanks, best of luck to you also.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:29 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,630,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortGreener View Post

1. That many Texans are real sensitive about Religion (I'm an Italian American atheist).

2. Texans can't drive.

3. That McMansions exist (The shock and horror when I first drove up to Plano then Frisco and saw those terrible homes)

7. That there can be so many fat people in a single aisle in the supermarket, all buying fat-full, cholesterol-laden crap.

Interesting!!! Now heres my take on it.

1. That many Texans are real sensitive about Religion (I'm an Italian American atheist). Tell them your not interested, most of the time they'll leave you alone. If not, being from NY I'm sure you know how to ignore someone.

2. Texans can't drive. Take public transit, being from NY, I'm sure your used to it.

3. That McMansions exist (The shock and horror when I first drove up to Plano then Frisco and saw those terrible homes) They exist in every major metro area, even NY.

4. There's no such thing as too much rouge or Chanel no. 5 We have to wear an over abundance to cover the sweat smell in summer time!

5. Texan men are sooo not sexy. I don't know where you go but where I go they are some of the sexiest alive!!

6. And they are even less sexy when they bible-thump. Thats a matter of opinion.

7. That there can be so many fat people in a single aisle in the supermarket, all buying fat-full, cholesterol-laden crap. Thats they're right to buy whatever they want. I'm sure they may have unkind things to say about yout purchases as well.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:55 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortGreener View Post

2. Texans can't drive.

Sounds like you moved to McKinney

Old 12-28-2007, 01:05 AM

47 posts, read 163,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
That's true of a lot of places, though; and new people moving here sort of feed into the "transient" reputation that Dallas has. Those of us with roots here usually don't have that problem. Texans and Dallasites are friendly people on the whole, but that doesn't translate into instant friendship. People here are just as busy as anywhere else and their lives are just as full. Making new friends takes time.
As a native of the city where we live (and soon to be relocating to Dallas) I certainly have taken for granted my comfortable lifestyle! I have an entire network of long standing friendships (some of whom we have grown up together). Parents who live 5 miles away..........always there to help with our two little one's, always someone to spend time with and always a friend close when you need them.

This whole expereince has made us much more sensitive to the meaning of "non- natives". We've been quite ignorant to new people moving to our city and all of the emotions one experiences during a move. We now try to reach out to new residents. I don't think one truly understands until you experience this loss of your old life and starting a new one.

Actually "relocation" is one of the top 5 stresses in life.

Thanks for posting the feedback, very helpful to the nubies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas