Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2007, 10:49 PM

181 posts, read 837,911 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I'm looking to move to Dallas in the next few weeks.

Uptown is where I would really like to live but most of the apartments are so expensive that I'm looking for alternatives.

Can someone please tell me about the area directly east of Uptown? Specifically on the opposite side of 75? I know the neighborhoods directly to the north, up N. Haskell is Cityplace and then West Village. What is the area south on Haskell and east on Ross like?

I did my best to take a look with Google Street View, but it is pretty difficult to gage what the neighborhoods are actually like from those pictures. Also, the Google Street View makes it look like there are virtually no pedestrians anywhere... even in Uptown and Downtown, whats up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 11:51 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Haskell and Lemmon around CityPlace have numerous newer apartments. On down to Ross is in the process of being redeveloped. Part of Ross has traditionally been auto related and now all those businesses must close under an ordinance to redevelop the street.

If you are coming soon you might try the Knox/Henderson area - the Henderson side is redeveloping but I think you would be able to find something now. Also try Lower Greenville (may be listed as East Dallas/Lakewood or MStreets). You might also look for a duplex, fourplex or very small complex in those areas.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:37 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
Also try around Bryan Place - Ross near I-75.

The areas around Cityplace can be hit/miss...like on Washington....used to public housing in this area - it was kinda creepy driving this area at night, might be better now though.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:08 PM

181 posts, read 837,911 times
Thanks for the tips.

pepper131, how many years ago was that? And does anyone know a way of finding out whether apartments in the area are some form of subsidized housing?

Old 12-27-2007, 09:14 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
I think may have upgraded the apartments in the public housing area - they were the typical dark brick block looking places, but I believe they are now a cream colored, more friendly looking apartment...but still public housing.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:45 PM

4 posts, read 25,143 times
I moved to Dallas 2 years ago and I chose to live in uptown since I am used to live in busy lively urban cities that are designed for pedestrians not just for cars. It was a very easy choice for me. My favourite part to live in Uptown is the area between Bowen & Blackburn where you can walk to bars, clubs, restaurants, grocery stores, wallgreens, shopping, starbucks, Barnes and Nobles and cityplace metro. It is expensive but it is worth the extra money. There is NO place in Dallas that compares to it. There is a building in that area that is the cheapest in Uptown. It is calles Carlisle on the Creek. It is an old building that doesn't have the luxury of Uptown apartments but some of the units are really nice. Better options but more expensive are Gables Uptown tower and Post Cole's Corner
The other area you have mentioned between Haskel and Ross to the east of Central Expressway is nothing like uptown. Very quiet, No pedestrians, Typical Dallas. It doesn't look very safe either. If you are looking to lease there I would recommend Amli at City place. Great building with a great pool, but the area is so so

Last edited by eye of the tiger; 12-29-2007 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake

Old 12-30-2007, 12:11 AM

4 posts, read 25,143 times
Orion, I have just read your thread about living in Texas without a car. Living in Uptown I had 4 options to go to work in Downtown Dallas. City place dart rail (Underground Metro). #21 Dart Bus, The uptown Trolley, or biking through Katy trail (a pretty concrete path just for bikers and runners surrounded by trees)

Old 12-31-2007, 09:24 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
According to new information by Ron Burch in the East Dallas/Lakewood Advocate, the average home price in 75204 has risen 74% from 2003-2007 - it went up about $63,000 in the last year. 75204 straddles Central Expressway, but the bulk of the code belongs to East Dallas.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,058 times
Default No, no and no! Scary!

I would really caution you not to move to that area. It is VERY sketchy at night. It may improve, but it will not be for a while (especially in this housing market_. There is still lots of subsidized housing over there, even if it looks better. One of my closest MALE friends just moved from there and said he was scared to go running at night over there. Try Knox Henderson (just a little farther North). Trust me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas