Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 09:51 PM

28 posts, read 81,061 times

Advertisements

You all were very helpful. After I got your replies, I had our realtor look south. We found a lovely place (which we haven't seen but our realtor has and people we know confirm that it is lovely). We found a town home in Grand Prairie by Joe Pool Lake--The drive may not be perfect, but I think it will be better than what we were looking at in Addison....no tolls, coming from south rather than from north to south...We will find out here soon! Luckily, we're renting so if we hate it, we can consider other options in a year.

We went with Bishop Dunne because it was more socio-economically and racially diverse and not so country club as Bishop Lynch...they have their own license plate, for goodness sakes! They have had a ton of improvements over the last year with grants and the place was extremely friendly when we visited. We are also not interested in sending our children to Jesuit schools, which Lynch is...

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 08:33 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignMoxe View Post
You all were very helpful. After I got your replies, I had our realtor look south. We found a lovely place (which we haven't seen but our realtor has and people we know confirm that it is lovely). We found a town home in Grand Prairie by Joe Pool Lake--The drive may not be perfect, but I think it will be better than what we were looking at in Addison....no tolls, coming from south rather than from north to south...We will find out here soon! Luckily, we're renting so if we hate it, we can consider other options in a year.

We went with Bishop Dunne because it was more socio-economically and racially diverse and not so country club as Bishop Lynch...they have their own license plate, for goodness sakes! They have had a ton of improvements over the last year with grants and the place was extremely friendly when we visited. We are also not interested in sending our children to Jesuit schools, which Lynch is...

Thanks everyone!
I get that moving is tough but making useful important decisions requires reliable information and a logic.

1. BL is not a Jesuit school and it never was. BL was founded by The Dominican Order.
2. The idea that BL is like a country club is absolutely absurd.
3. Your license plate hang-up is curious. You may be shocked to know that BD has a gift shop featuring school logo t-shirts, cups and hats!
4. I'm assuming there's no way you've even driven by BL or read its wiki-page much less actually visited.

I wish you and your kiddos the best, however, your decision making process is atrocious.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:13 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Most private - and public - schools around here sell their own license plates, bumper stickers, yard signs, hats, tshirts, etc. It's not country club elitist....it's called raising funds for the schools!!!!

Old 09-01-2014, 09:25 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
I will add that BL couldn't be further from a "country club" if it wanted to be. Most of the kids who go there come from normal, often working-class families who either want their kids to have a Catholic education, or are so appalled by what the local DISD and MISD high schools have become that they are willing to pay tuition to get a better education for their kids. FWIW, my sister attended BL for one year for the latter reason.

Yes, the school has a license plate. So do over 80 other organizations in Texas. Big deal.
TXDMV.GOV - Specialty License Plates

Old 09-12-2014, 07:41 PM

28 posts, read 81,061 times
Didn't mean to offend. Goodness! It was just my impression. I do stand corrected on the Dominican order versus Jesuits. However, when I asked each of the schools to send me their admissions information/prospective student materials, Bishop Lynch barely mentioned anything about God or Jesus in their materials. Bishop Dunne did. They also had differences with regard to how often mass was attended by students...Bishop Dunne more often. Those two things were important to us and Lynch had more of what our children were looking for and needed to be successful.

My kids just completed their first week at Bishop Dunne and started 3 weeks late because we came from Denver. They were able to jump in (they completed the summer assignments that the rest of the students were expected to do so they could jump in), my son was accepted onto the 6th grade football team and started right away with practices and got to join band right away. He is making friends quickly and likes his classes and teachers.

My daughter in 9th grade was able to jump in and felt welcome right away also. She has a Freshman Spirital Retreat tomorrow (Saturday) and a Freshman service day on Monday. She has been meeting with her Latin teacher for tutoring to catch up with what she missed in the first few weeks.

The school is top-notch technology-wise. My kids were set up with their laptop software for Ebooks and homework portals, as well as student IDs and lanyards immediately when they arrived on their first day.

The staff is really welcoming and we are very happy there.

Every school has promotional materials---the spirit store is great. License plates, I'm not used to for high schools. Again, didn't mean to offend. Seems over the top.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:43 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,535,854 times
I am so glad your children are having a good transition! Those are hard ages to move your kids so I'm sure that was a big decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas