Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 05:46 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,384,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
THANK YOU...I thought I was the only fuddy duddy taken aback by liquored-up mamas getting tipsy in front of their young children. Stay classy, y'all.

Ah; I tend to take things literally.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, though an iPad and headphones are an electronic babysitter and they aren't teaching kids how to behave, since adults would think it was pretty rude if another adult was doing that. But yeah, I get that sometimes it's just easier.
I know the ipad is a crutch. But with kids, you gotta pick which hill to die on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 05:54 PM

931 posts, read 2,129,982 times
When our kids were young we would go out to eat early 5 and not hang around. If one of my four misbehaved they went tout with either Mom or Dad we took turns and if they got the message we went back in. A second chance but immediate expulsion and the whole family would leave. The peer pressure was great it pretty much solved our problems.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:14 PM

781 posts, read 1,214,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Not a chance!

I have also noticed this in Lakewood/East Dallas far more than in the Park Cities or Preston Hollow/ North Dallas....a bad trend of parents who want to party but bring their kids along and assume it's not a problem for the kids to run amok all over the restaurant. It's the absolute worst at The Lot where you can watch the ladies of the LECPTA leadership get pretty tipsy while their kids run around and terrorize other kids and tables of adults. If another outside parent tries to intervene - "hey, keep an eye on your kid"- they Lakewood ladies go ballistic on the outside parent. The LECPTA women plan all their parties around booze, think it's funny to be raunchy at LECPTA events (like dinner parties won at the auction where the party conversation quickly turns to "how old were you when you lost your virginity", "wildest place you & hubby have done it, etc"....and gently bullying attendees who don't play along)...... pretty much the least classy PTA in town.

Unfortunately I know too much about this because we have two couple friends who run with this crowd. After several years of this - and it only gets worse as their older kids are now in Elemetary school (why don't these people hire babysitters??) I refuse to do anything with them unless it's a double or triple date. We have been to quite a few of the Lakewood parties over the years....have never seen or heard of any equivalent activity from the HPISD or private school crowds.

Call me old-fashioned, but I just don't think kids should see parents drinking...a glass of wine or beer is ok, but having kids at parties and restaurants where parents are in the tipsy to falling over drunk range just does not sit right with me. They all own $500k+ houses so can certainly afford $50 for a Friday night babysitter.
This couldn't have been articulated any better. I mean, perfect.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:10 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,214,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
I know the ipad is a crutch. But with kids, you gotta pick which hill to die on.
Eh, it's an ugly American phenomenon, the iPad babysitter. I was in Paris last fall and had forgotten how well behaved their children are vs American kids....no electronics at the lunch or dinner table, either talking at low volumes with other children at the table or speaking when spoken to with the adults.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:14 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,527,569 times
We enjoy happy hour as much as the next parents but definitely draw the line at a drink or two in front of the offspring. Nothing sadder than hearing my future BiL describe how scared he was as a kid from some drunken lout at an Oilers game in H-town. My parents didn't drink at all; husband is Italian, parents drank wine nightly and it was never ever an issue of abuse.

I do think you have to take kids out to acclimate them to things like dinner at nice places but there is a time and a place for sure. You see this entitled BS sometimes in FW too at places w/ patios- the West siders get all buzzed and let "Hampton" and "Olivia Grace" run, trip, cry, spill, willy nilly. We have never been the type to let our guys run around and disturb other diners. For that matter, as a former server, I empathize and would not want to drop my tray or plates or what have you because I tripped over someone's anklebiter. I am adamantly opposed to ipads/iphones at the table, home or out. Adults or kids. Now, I strive to always have pads of paper and pens in my big ol" Mom purse and we do lots of "Hangman" or whatever or we beg paper and crayons/pens from the host desk if I am out.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:20 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,457,617 times
Quote:
Prior to ipads we brought coloring books and crayons with us. I've never understood parents who let their children run amok in restaurants.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:32 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,457,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
We enjoy happy hour as much as the next parents but definitely draw the line at a drink or two in front of the offspring. Nothing sadder than hearing my future BiL describe how scared he was as a kid from some drunken lout at an Oilers game in H-town. My parents didn't drink at all; husband is Italian, parents drank wine nightly and it was never ever an issue of abuse.

I do think you have to take kids out to acclimate them to things like dinner at nice places but there is a time and a place for sure. You see this entitled BS sometimes in FW too at places w/ patios- the West siders get all buzzed and let "Hampton" and "Olivia Grace" run, trip, cry, spill, willy nilly. We have never been the type to let our guys run around and disturb other diners. For that matter, as a former server, I empathize and would not want to drop my tray or plates or what have you because I tripped over someone's anklebiter. I am adamantly opposed to ipads/iphones at the table, home or out. Adults or kids. Now, I strive to always have pads of paper and pens in my big ol" Mom purse and we do lots of "Hangman" or whatever or we beg paper and crayons/pens from the host desk if I am out.
I was thinking about that, too. I've never been a server, but I know plenty of people who have and they had some stories. Letting kids run around is dangerous for the servers and the kids!

Old 08-29-2014, 08:42 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,189,983 times
Quote:
Not necessarily.

Quote:
Eh, it's an ugly American phenomenon, the iPad babysitter. I was in Paris last fall and had forgotten how well behaved their children are vs American kids....no electronics at the lunch or dinner table, either talking at low volumes with other children at the table or speaking when spoken to with the adults.
I agree. I lived in Paris for a while and children there were definitely seen but not heard much more than children elsewhere. German children were also very well-behaved, by and large. Polish children were also well-behaved but more boisterous than German children...Polish people were just more fiery than Germans in general. The British? Hooooooooooo boy. Just as bad as Americans.

As far as rowdy-ass kids, though...the silver medal has to go to Israel. But America is on top of the podium.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:51 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,384,283 times
Quote:
The Parisienne kids are liquored up...well red wined down to be exact.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:10 PM

264 posts, read 623,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Doubtful. We don't venture south of 635. Ever.
It's tough to afford the gas for your leased 3-Series BMW when you're mortgaged to the hilt in Southern Oklahoma;-).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas