Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 08:21 PM

6 posts, read 8,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
That price range in Coppell is so hard. Seriously. And forget 1/2 acre! It would be a huge coup to score a .20 acre lot with a decent house in the $350K range in Coppell right now. As in multiple offers, over list price, no concessions, so on and so forth. And it will NOT be new construction by any stretch- I can't remember if that was important to you. It will be straight 80's popcorn and glazed shiny medium brown 36"cabinets throughout the house. The finishing touch will be the saloon doors on the WC in the master bath.
Fair enough. What's your suggested neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 11:02 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times
I think I would go for Flower Mound, too. However, a 1/2 acre lot in that price range is going to be a rare find as well. Acreage just doesn't happen often here.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:13 PM

230 posts, read 398,465 times
Default Rent first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapoor1278 View Post
We are an Asian couple with two kids moving from Ohio to the Dallas Area. We are going to be working in Irving. We are in process of selling our existing house here in Ohio. The way market is going we expect to close it in few weeks. We are quite worried with limited information regarding Dallas. We have visited Dallas for couple of days but again that was not sufficient to make a decision where we should buy new house. We would like to avoid a temporary arrangement into Rental. We have a budget of upper $350s. We are willing to commute upto 40 - 45 mins. We do know few priorities or attribute we are looking into new house.

1. Top Quality education is at priority for selecting a neighborhood.
2. Lot size around 1/2 acre is second priority for selecting a neighborhood
3. Close to restaurants, activities, stores.
4. Resale Value of house
5. Diversity

Help us where to move and how to stay within the budget but still be able to meet the priorities.

Hi kapoor1278,

You've got a lot of great advise on here already, but I wanted to help set your mind at ease regarding possibly renting first. It's really quite difficult to make really informed decision and buy a house in which you'll be happy long distance. We moved here from Jersey, before then we lived in NY for almost 25 years. At first, being already homeowners for a while, we resisted the advise of renting first. But then, we just took one step back and so the benefits of it. We moved here last August, right before school was starting. We visited prior to this in the end of June and looked at several apartment complexes which we knew were zoned out to the schools we wanted. So we actually gave our deposit in June for move in in August. In retrospect I wouldn't do it any other way. It gave us time to look around, see a few properties we were interested in.....and not as well. We did not have to unpack the whole house LOL, just necessary things, and used 1 car garage of the apt as a storage. It was no big deal really. So we made an offer on the house right around Christmas time last year. I wouldn't say that things were slow, but perhaps, slow-er than usual. We paid what we wanted for it and sellers were happy too. My point is don't push yourselves into a corner. Look around first, extend your rental lease if need be.

Good Luck on your search.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:31 PM

6 posts, read 8,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydoc View Post
Hi kapoor1278,

You've got a lot of great advise on here already, but I wanted to help set your mind at ease regarding possibly renting first. It's really quite difficult to make really informed decision and buy a house in which you'll be happy long distance. We moved here from Jersey, before then we lived in NY for almost 25 years. At first, being already homeowners for a while, we resisted the advise of renting first. But then, we just took one step back and so the benefits of it. We moved here last August, right before school was starting. We visited prior to this in the end of June and looked at several apartment complexes which we knew were zoned out to the schools we wanted. So we actually gave our deposit in June for move in in August. In retrospect I wouldn't do it any other way. It gave us time to look around, see a few properties we were interested in.....and not as well. We did not have to unpack the whole house LOL, just necessary things, and used 1 car garage of the apt as a storage. It was no big deal really. So we made an offer on the house right around Christmas time last year. I wouldn't say that things were slow, but perhaps, slow-er than usual. We paid what we wanted for it and sellers were happy too. My point is don't push yourselves into a corner. Look around first, extend your rental lease if need be.

Good Luck on your search.
Thank you billydoc. We agree its very pragmatic advice. We are keeping our options open. Just hesitant to transit thru Rental.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:43 PM

230 posts, read 398,465 times
Default Been there

Quote:
Thank you billydoc. We agree its very pragmatic advice. We are keeping our options open. Just hesitant to transit thru Rental.
Yep we've been there ourselves. I totally understand. But I think it saved us a lot of grief .... renting first.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:15 PM

8,149 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Also look in Colleyville, Grapevine and North Euless that is served by GCISD in zip code 76039. All great areas with good schools and a good commute to Irving.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:07 PM

4 posts, read 3,801 times
I am very familiar with the Cincinnati area and its school districts. Depending on what sort of feel you are looking for different parts of DFW will feel like different parts of Cincy - Indian Hill vs Loveland vs Montgomery vs Hyde Park, etc. I am happy to offer my thoughts on the areas, for what it's worth.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:11 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,535,179 times
Quote:
Thanks, we are moving from Cincinnati, lived and worked there for 8 years. We really love the charm of family oriented city. We are frivolously searching as we have a short timeline to decided and move. Any other information is most welcome.

All of the areas you have mentioned will be family oriented because of the schools. As others have said- renting is your friend! That's what we did and I am so glad. We aren't renting where my boys are enrolled in school but since we have already closed on the house I am driving them back and forth until we move. Now that the school year has started that will be tough for you guys but what you could do is look for a rental in Coppell or Grapevine/Colleyville area or even Flower Mound (I don't know anything about the rental market there though).

One more note about Flower Mound- when we were in the midst of our search one of my husband's friends from college kept telling us to come look in FM. We drove around some and I thought maybe we would end up there. Then someone on the City Data forum mentioned how bad the traffic was coming in and out. Not a deal killer for us since my husband's commute would still be short but I dreaded the thought of being "sequestered" with one way in and out. Just another point to consider. I can't remember if you mentioned if you will both be commuting but I feel Coppell and G/C are more centrally located.

Wherever you end up, welcome to TX!

Old 09-05-2014, 08:49 AM

61 posts, read 156,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I would recommend Flower Mound. It's less Asian than Coppell but better for your price point and desire for a larger lot. Flower Mound schools (part of the Lewisville ISD) are top notch.
Second this one. I have friend living in FM and we visited few times. It's a pretty nice area with great school and has decent Asian population. Depending on which part of Asia you originally coming from and whether you want to enroll your kids to afterschool/weekendschool to learn your own language, you might need to factor the availability to those language schools into your decision as well.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:22 PM

95 posts, read 163,999 times
I'm from Cincy too, and we've lived in TX since May 2001 (Houston and Dallas). A couple things about TX to note:
* Insurance (car and home) is more expensive than the Midwest
* You'll drive muc farther here to get where you need to go, consequently spending more on gas
* There is no state income tax but there's Toll roads in almost every desirable area of the metroplex
* Property tax will be a HUGE expense compared to Ohio--On avg $9 - 12k a yr for a 3000 sq ft home
* it is HOT in TX so if you thought Ohio was warm you're in for a rude awakening--more humid in Cincy, on avg, but not near as hot. DFW is much drier than Houston and south TX
* Traffic in the metroplex doesn't rate compared to Houston. I tell you this because Cincy traffic doesn't rate compared to DFW traffic... this gives you a little perspective
* The metroplex doesn't have the great culture that the Cincy area has, and you'll miss the Cincinnati Zoo (2nd best in the country and it shows), Kings Island and The Beach water park greatly. There's a FW and Dallas zoo but they don't rate compared to The Cincy zoo, unfortunately. As for six flags, it is very run down and dirty compared to Kings Island.

This area is a great place to live and work, but I just wanted to paint a realistic picture of what to expect once you relocate. The airport (DFW) is awesome compared to the pathetic Greater Cincy airport. TX has tons of benefits like farmer's markets, inexpensive gas, reasonably priced food (most part), great fall and spring seasons and many great public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas