Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 12:52 PM

6 posts, read 8,134 times

Advertisements

We are an Asian couple with two kids moving from Ohio to the Dallas Area. We are going to be working in Irving. We are in process of selling our existing house here in Ohio. The way market is going we expect to close it in few weeks. We are quite worried with limited information regarding Dallas. We have visited Dallas for couple of days but again that was not sufficient to make a decision where we should buy new house. We would like to avoid a temporary arrangement into Rental. We have a budget of upper $350s. We are willing to commute upto 40 - 45 mins. We do know few priorities or attribute we are looking into new house.

1. Top Quality education is at priority for selecting a neighborhood.
2. Lot size around 1/2 acre is second priority for selecting a neighborhood
3. Close to restaurants, activities, stores.
4. Resale Value of house
5. Diversity

Help us where to move and how to stay within the budget but still be able to meet the priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 01:08 PM

168 posts, read 299,827 times
Coppell ISD is a great school district and very close to Irving. My suggestion is to look there first. A 1/2 acre lot in your price point will probably be hard to find in Coppell and any top school district. Since you said diversity is important, I believe Coppell has a good size Asian population. FYI, Coppell and most of the top districts in Dallas will most likely be larger than wherever you are coming from in Ohio.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:14 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
Just as info, Independent School Districts (ISDs) do not follow city or county lines. You have to check on the ISD's web site to be sure an address is in the ISD you want. An ISD can cover parts of 2-3 cities, a city can have more than 1 ISD. I live in Little Elm but in the Frisco ISD as example.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Just as info, Independent School Districts (ISDs) do not follow city or county lines. You have to check on the ISD's web site to be sure an address is in the ISD you want. An ISD can cover parts of 2-3 cities, a city can have more than 1 ISD. I live in Little Elm but in the Frisco ISD as example.
Thanks for the information. We didnt know about the ISD rules. It definitely give us some leverage.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripmom View Post
Coppell ISD is a great school district and very close to Irving. My suggestion is to look there first. A 1/2 acre lot in your price point will probably be hard to find in Coppell and any top school district. Since you said diversity is important, I believe Coppell has a good size Asian population. FYI, Coppell and most of the top districts in Dallas will most likely be larger than wherever you are coming from in Ohio.
Yes, Coppell is in our short list. So even with 45-50 min further commute, bigger lots are not easily available? Thanks so much for your help.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:59 PM

168 posts, read 299,827 times
An 1/2 acre lot will probably not be easy to come by in your price point in the top school districts.

I don't see the point in having a 45-50 minute commute when one of the top districts in Dallas is close to your work and in your price point. If education is truly your number one priority, I would focus on Coppell. One of the Flower Mound high schools is also very highly rated and you might be able to get a bigger lot in FM. However, I don't know enough about Flower Mound to be of any help.

What part of Ohio are you coming from? We lived in New Albany (Columbus) for ten years.

Last edited by tripmom; 08-31-2014 at 02:48 PM..

Old 08-31-2014, 02:11 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,312,880 times
I would recommend Flower Mound. It's less Asian than Coppell but better for your price point and desire for a larger lot. Flower Mound schools (part of the Lewisville ISD) are top notch.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:44 PM

718 posts, read 1,390,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I would recommend Flower Mound. It's less Asian than Coppell but better for your price point and desire for a larger lot. Flower Mound schools (part of the Lewisville ISD) are top notch.
Totally agree. Flower Mound would fit all your requirements.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripmom View Post
An 1/2 acre lot will probably not be easy to come by in your price point in the top school districts.

I don't see the point in having a 45-50 minute commute when one of the top districts in Dallas is close to your work and in your price point. If education is truly your number one priority, I would focus on Coppell. One of the Flower Mound high schools is also very highly rated and you might be able to get a bigger lot in FM. However, I don't know enough about Flower Mound to be of any help.

What part of Ohio are you coming from? We lived in New Albany (Columbus) for ten years.
Thanks, we are moving from Cincinnati, lived and worked there for 8 years. We really love the charm of family oriented city. We are frivolously searching as we have a short timeline to decided and move. Any other information is most welcome.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:50 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,536,706 times
That price range in Coppell is so hard. Seriously. And forget 1/2 acre! It would be a huge coup to score a .20 acre lot with a decent house in the $350K range in Coppell right now. As in multiple offers, over list price, no concessions, so on and so forth. And it will NOT be new construction by any stretch- I can't remember if that was important to you. It will be straight 80's popcorn and glazed shiny medium brown 36"cabinets throughout the house. The finishing touch will be the saloon doors on the WC in the master bath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas