Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 08:41 PM

24 posts, read 39,114 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband has just accepted a job with his company that he has been with for 7 years and they are relocating us to Dallas. My husband makes a little under 200k.

He has a home office and has to travel a lot for work, so access to airports a must. I won't be working, we have a 5 year old son that is entering kindergarten. Looking for a nice family community, excellent schools, friendly place as we don't know anyone in Dallas.

We will be in corporate housing for a month or 2. Looking to buy a house 300-450k.

Thinking Highland Village, Lantana, Frisco, Southlake or Flower Mound? Anybody have any insight?

What is the best community for schools, nice shopping, safety and friendly people?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 09:04 PM

11,835 posts, read 26,765,502 times
Lantana is not an easy drive to/from DFW Airport. There is no highway access, and your husband would be driving back and forth through Flower Mound. Lantana also has small lot sizes. Highland Village has similar issues, though it isn't quite as remote as Lantana.

Your budget is barely entry level for Southlake. Pity because all of your other wants describe Southlake very well.

Frisco will be a long haul down a toll road to get to DFW. Otherwise, the community would fit your wants.

Are you really wanting new construction, or will you look at existing homes? I ask because almost all of the cities you mention are a primarily new construction. If you are willing to look at existing homes, add Colleyville and Grapevine to the list.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:15 PM

718 posts, read 1,385,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Lantana is not an easy drive to/from DFW Airport. There is no highway access, and your husband would be driving back and forth through Flower Mound. Lantana also has small lot sizes. Highland Village has similar issues, though it isn't quite as remote as Lantana.

Your budget is barely entry level for Southlake. Pity because all of your other wants describe Southlake very well.

Frisco will be a long haul down a toll road to get to DFW. Otherwise, the community would fit your wants.

Are you really wanting new construction, or will you look at existing homes? I ask because almost all of the cities you mention are a primarily new construction. If you are willing to look at existing homes, add Colleyville and Grapevine to the list.
Actually Frisco is not so far away from DFW , especially on the west side of the city. Plenty of people live there for easy access to the airport.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:27 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,211,046 times
Of those choices, plus your budget and airport needs, I'd pick Flower Mound. Lantana is way out there and not convenient to the airport at all...it's probably a 40+ minute drive to go 15 miles because it's all backroads. Frisco is ok but much further east than the more central suburbs on your list. Southlake is out unless you up the budget to $500+....though it meets the rest of your criteria the best as far as strong schools & community. Agree with the other suggestion to also give Colleyville a look.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:25 AM

953 posts, read 1,825,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post

Honest opinion because I do it when I travel. From frisco, It takes less than 25 minutes from Main st and DNT to parking at the DFW terminal D. 121 is an excellent access. Also, tolls do not matter because almost everybody who travels for work has it paid for...

Although the OP does not have it on the list, but Coppell is the best choice in terms of access and schools...

Old 09-02-2014, 08:58 AM

105 posts, read 218,982 times
OP, I grew up in the SF Bay Area - in Oakland. Is there a particular city/area in the bay area you particularly like that you are looking for in DFW? If so, I might be able to recommend an area. Given your stated budget and criteria, I would focus on Coppell, Flower Mound, Colleyville, and Keller.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:41 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,634,220 times
What others have said - add Coppell, Colleyville and Grapevine to your list, keep Flower Mound. Highland Village is a bit far from DFW airport so I'd put it behind those others (but might appealing with some minor hills and the lake), Lantana is farther with tiny lots so i wouldn't consider it at all. I'd drop Frisco from the list - yes, you can travel on 121 fairly quickly to DFW airport, but it's a long distance and Frisco doesn't have anything that the other suburbs are lacking.

Southlake, as noted, is likely beyond your budget, but check the listings anyway as something at 450K may pop up that works for you. Unlikely but worth checking.

Keller is west of Southlake and traffic from there to the airport can be a pain. FM 1709, the main thoroughfare running east-west through Southlake and Keller, is very clogged up during rush hours (well, not relative to the Bay Area, but worse than you need for here). Like Highland Village, you can consider it but I'd put Coppell, Flower Mound, Colleyville and Grapevine (and Southlake) ahead of it. When looking at areas of Keller, you would prefer to be in the Keller HS feeder zone.

As others will tell you, use your time in corporate housing to aggressively check out each of those areas in person to get a "feel" for them that you can't get through numbers and data alone.

All of those suburbs hit most if not all of your markers. Be aware that DFW is dramatically different from the Bay Area in countless ways both large and small, so the cultural adjustment will be great. OTOH, as you're apparently already aware, housing costs here are far FAR lower than in SF and environs.

Good luck on your relo and home search!

Old 09-02-2014, 10:29 AM

262 posts, read 467,655 times
I would first look in Coppell (older houses) and Flower Mound (New to newer houses) before opening up for other locations.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:44 AM

24 posts, read 39,114 times
Default suburbs

Thank you for your recs. I do appreciate the responses as we are very new to the area.

Someone mentioned Lakewood to me as a cool place? Would anyone recommend that? Just curious.

We lived in SF for a number of years before we moved to Napa Valley, so love the idea of a cool community where you can walk to cafes etc.

Do any suburbs such as Highland Village, Flower Mound have Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Target?

Thanks!

Old 09-02-2014, 11:16 AM

786 posts, read 1,210,746 times
Love, love, love Lakewood. It's not convenient to the airport and your budget won't stretch far there. You've lived in SF - are you willing to live in a small house (1500 sq ft ish)? If so and if your DH is willing to drive a bit to the airport? If so, Lakewood is great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas